Geocaching in the UK

Twister65

There's a good possibility that my family and I will be visiting your wonderful country this spring for my cousin's wedding. I'll be heading there with the North American version of the eX600, which means I will likely be geocaching somewhat blind without a European basemap (not that basemaps are very useful to begin with) I will probably print out a few Google Earth maps for reference as well.

During our stay, we'll be in Cookham, London and Glasgow (mostly Cookham and Glasgow) I've already looked up a few caches in Cookham that I plan to hit -- the Thames Path series? I haven't looked up any for Glasgow yet since I'm not as sure of the area we'll be in.

None of our "plans" (what there is of them at the moment) are firm, but I thought I'd see what anyone here had to say or suggest about caching in the Cookham area.

Thanks!

Scott

(P.S. I was born in England -- Birkenhead to be exact - but we moved to Canada in '67 when I was 2)

You should do just fine with the maps that you can link to from any UK geocache page ... I don't have anything in my gpsr other than the basics it came with and manage just fine most of the time.

When I do venture into the wilds, I find an Ordnance Survey map suits me well. You can pick them up at most large stationers.

I'm sure the locals will have more to say about the Thames path, I have only done one or two and it can get wet in parts after bouts of wet weather. :lol:

There's a good possibility that my family and I will be visiting your wonderful country this spring for my cousin's wedding. I'll be heading there with the North American version of the eX600, which means I will likely be geocaching somewhat blind without a European basemap (not that basemaps are very useful to begin with) I will probably print out a few Google Earth maps for reference as well.

During our stay, we'll be in Cookham, London and Glasgow (mostly Cookham and Glasgow) I've already looked up a few caches in Cookham that I plan to hit -- the Thames Path series? I haven't looked up any for Glasgow yet since I'm not as sure of the area we'll be in.

None of our "plans" (what there is of them at the moment) are firm, but I thought I'd see what anyone here had to say or suggest about caching in the Cookham area.

Thanks!

Scott

(P.S. I was born in England -- Birkenhead to be exact - but we moved to Canada in '67 when I was 2)

I can probably help you out with some 25k OS maps with cache overlays using Memory Map if you tell me exactly where you are going

I could send them to the UK address (your cousin's) - PM me closer to the time

BTW I love Canada, I have cached in Nova Scotia (Cabot Trail in June - absolute bliss!) and Ontario