"Vehicle Cache"

Polarbz

Ok, I'm not new to caching, but I've never hidden a cache. I've searched the boards over and found some things that seem similar, but nothing specific to this. I was thinking about hiding a cache (micro magnetic or small) ON or attached underneath my vehicle. Its not really a temporary cache, but it also wouldn't be in the same place all the time. The coordinates I would list would be for where I park at home. Obviously, I would update as I moved or anything like that. On my vehicle I would put a green geocache sticker and I was thinking about putting a dry erase bumper sticker with the published coords.

I know that traveling caches aren't allowed, but thats because multiple people move them and no one can take care of them, but this doesnt really fall into that category.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

If you are thinking of hiding a cache read the guidelines first. I mean really read them, don't just check the box that says you did when you submit your cache.

Taking 10 minutes to read the guidelines can save you hours of work later on when you have to retrieve, or re-work a cache that you spent a lot of time putting together, only to find that it violates one or more of the guidelines. Happens all the time.

That would be considered a moving cache. It would not be generally available to seekers at the coordinates. Thus would not be allowed. Sorry.

Some folks turn thier vehicles into travel bugs.......

Not all caches are availble to cachers all the time; that's why GC offers a not available 24/7 icon in the attributes. Caches in theme parks, zoos, etc... are generally closed at night.

I say you're okay if you state your cache is only available, say 6p to 6a, or whenever your vehicle is sure to be parked at the posted coordinates. That way, it's not a 'moving cache'. We have a similar cache in my area, and I believe the hint is the license plate #. I made the 'find' at an event; when word spread his car had the cache, there became a steady stream of cachers to his Jeep. I think he had the cache hidden in the spare tire area.

But restricted hour caches stay put and don't move around. The available hours remain fixed and have no fluctuations. What assurences do we as cachers have that his car will ALWAYS be home in the driveway between 6 and 6.

I stand by my original analysis that such a moving cache is not (and should not be) allowed.

But restricted hour caches stay put and don't move around. The available hours remain fixed and have no fluctuations. What assurences do we as cachers have that his car will ALWAYS be home in the driveway between 6 and 6.

I stand by my original analysis that such a moving cache is not (and should not be) allowed.

I'd think so too, but check with your local reviewer for the final answer.

If you parked your moving cache car in front of an existing cache, or in a national park, it would be in violation of the listing guidelines, or park management rules.

There's no mechanism for you to update coordinates any further than ~500 feet. So this would require constant work on the part of an admin - every move would have to be re-reviewed.

That said, per the listing guidelines, you could contact Groundspeak and ask about your idea.

BTW, I doubt that Orson Wells misspelled peaceably