*** The Official SOLAR CACHE Contest ***

tabulator32

Cool! A 200-foot range definitely makes the first stage easy to find!

:huh:

Decoding it may be anther matter. Just out of curiosity...what is the CPS of the morse code?

Sounds like a fun cache!

We are looking at about 5 words-per-second or less. It is very slow.

That may be a good thing for me to add in the description.

Did you perhaps really intend to write "5 words per minute (WPM)" instead of "5 words-per-second"? 5 WPS would translate to about 300 WPM; at that rate Morse Code cannot be copied by any living human being and would need to be machine-detected and machine-rendered/translated using some fairly sophisticated processing equipment.

But see, you have already described how it could be possible, so maybe... Or make them record it and slow it down. :ph34r:

No, you are correct in your correction. WPM. It was the CPM (characters PM?) that made me stumble.

I had originally asked for CPS (characters per second) but, thinking about it, I should have said characters per MINUTE, really. I have always heard morse code measured in characters per minute while typing (as on a keyboard) was in WORDS per minute. I am not sure why and I may be wrong, its just the way I was familiar with it.

ANYWAY, thanks for the response! Sounds like a cool cache! I used to be a amateur radio operator and learned morse code well enough to squeak by on the exams.

;)

I would definitely try that cache if it were in my neck of the woods.

Speaking as an ex-amateur radio operator, to my best knowledge -- and a thorough web search using Google appears to support this belief -- the measure for speed of Morse code employed in both commercial telegraphy, amateur radio service, and for US federal radio examinations which involve(d) demonstration of Morse Code proficiency is (and always has been) not measured in characters per minute (CPM) but rather in words per minute, aka WPM. In fact, this seems to be a de facto worldwide standard for use in denoting speed of Morse Code.

This message comes a day past the deadline. Sorry about the delay.

The winner for the solar contest will be announced here in this thread in the next day or two and will be given the option of receiving a money order or a Paypal transaction for their prize.

Thanks to everyone who entered!

:)