Sextant Geocoin

AtwellFamily

I have been working on this coin for a while now. Based on Celestial Navigation, Sextant and Positioning Circle. Using these 3 things sailors would calculate thier position on the earth, you could say this was an early form of the GPSr.

I was looking for some feedback and interest level.

1. Do you like the design? Feedback welcome.
  2. Would you buy it?
  3. Should I make both versions (round and cutout)?

The mold cost on both of these is quite high becuase of the 3D Sextant on each. To give you more detail. Looking to produce these in 1.75" for the round one and 1.5" for the cutout. The plating will be a variety but will be doing a number of mixed/duel plating choice.

Sextant1-front.jpgSextant1-back.jpg

Sextant2-front.jpgSextant2-back.jpg

Edited by Atwell Family

The Columbia Guide to Standard American English confirms that:

"A boat can be a good sailer because it sails well; but a good sailor is always “a person who is expert at sailing or helping to sail a boat” " :unsure: .

We are sailors and our boat is a very good sailer! :ph34r: That being said... I like the shaped one :cool: .

say what? :D;)

Looks cool. Although I believe a very similar design was used on the back of the GCC benchmark and another coin that I can't remember off the top of my head. :unsure:

Team A.I. maybe?

edit:

I guess it would help to read to the end of the thread. Just saw Jakes post. :ph34r:

Edited by OshnDoc

[*]Do you like the design? Feedback welcome.

Yes!

Edited to add: I like both versions as they are. I like the geometry (sp?) on the round coin, and the constellations on the shaped one.

[*]Would you buy it?

YES

[*]Should I make both versions (round and cutout)?

If you had to stick with just one, I'd go with the cutout. If you think the demand supports both, do both. I'd buy at least one of each.

-- JG (a sailor)

Edited by Jackalgirl

I like both coins but I think I would like the shaped the best at this point. I like the constellations but I think they would be cool as glow in the dark. If you make a round coin I'd say go with the front of the round one and put the constellations in glow in dark on the back. Just my 2 cents worth:)

I like 'em both. For this one, since it's not going to be a real, functional instrument, I'd say stick with the round one. For the back of the round one, maybe throw the stars on the back onto the 'celestial sphere' (proper locations, of course!) and add landmasses to the globe so that the calculated position is say, Denver Colorado.

:lol:

You guys are making this difficult. A 1/3 want round, 1/3 want cutout and 1/3 want both. And I'm sure everyone wants it for $10 or less. Oh and the stars should be in glow enamel. Did I miss anything?

1. Stars will be changed to glow and the lines will be removed.
  2. I'll need to wait a bit until I can pay for the molds but will do both
  3. Cost......They will be in the $11.50 range but that includes shipping in North America

That should be good for everyone. Thanks for the feedback. I'll make the changes and see how they look.

I have been working on this coin for a while now. Based on Celestial Navigation, Sextant and Positioning Circle. Using these 3 things sailors would calculate thier position on the earth, you could say this was an early form of the GPSr.

1. Do you like the design? Feedback welcome.
  2. Would you buy it?
  3. Should I make both versions (round and cutout)?

The mold cost on both of these is quite high becuase of the 3D Sextant on each. To give you more detail. Looking to produce these in 1.75" for the round one and 1.5" for the cutout. The plating will be a variety but will be doing a number of mixed/duel plating choice.

Sextant1-front.jpgSextant1-back.jpg

Sextant2-front.jpgSextant2-back.jpg

I like both designs and would buy a set.