How do you get new cache alerts on your cell phone?

we"re lost

We just put out a new cache and someone had already found the cache before we even got an email stating that the cache was published. They got a new cache alert on thier cell phone the second the cache had been published, so they were there within minutes and was FTF. What do you have to do to make this happen, this is why we are loosing out on so many FTF's in our area cause we don't have new cache alerts on our cell phone. Is this a specail type of cell phone with a GPS or is it the program you use?

Please tell us all the dirty details of being able to get these new cache alerts on your cell phone. :unsure:

we"re lost

We just put out a new cache and someone had already found the cache before we even got an email stating that the cache was published. They got a new cache alert on thier cell phone the second the cache had been published, so they were there within minutes and was FTF. What do you have to do to make this happen, this is why we are loosing out on so many FTF's in our area cause we don't have new cache alerts on our cell phone. Is this a specail type of cell phone with a GPS or is it the program you use?

Please tell us all the dirty details of being able to get these new cache alerts on your cell phone. :unsure:

we"re lost

What cell phone provider are you using?

Verizon = <your #>@vtext.com

Tmobile = <your#>@tmomail.net

Not sure of the others.

we"re lost

What cell phone provider are you using?

Verizon = <your #>@vtext.com

Tmobile = <your#>@tmomail.net

Not sure of the others.

AT&T/Cingular

we"re lost

"Instanotify" Notification Service

The Geocaching Instanotify service is a Groundspeak Premium Member feature. As new logs are posted to Geocaching.com you can get an instant email sent to you with the contents of that log entry. The Instanotify feature is now out of beta but is still not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

These notifications go to your default Geocaching email so you need to figure out how to forward them as text messages to your cell phone, assuming you do not have a web enabled phone and get email on it already.

If you are having trouble getting the forward to work. I will recommend one sure way of doing it with any service. Use <your area code and cell phone number> @teleflip.com. It's a free service and works with any phone.

No Junk. We get up and do the new ones at that time too. You don't get 208 FTF's by sleeping in.

my phone has email but i guess i still am not understanding the whole concept. Because my personal email didnt get the listing until the next day and this person got the notification that night at 9:00PM. If it sent to your phone email is that not exactly like the email that you have on your PC? so i would have gotten the notification until the next morning not that night. Is this a text charge on your phone each time you get one.

I am cell phone challenged i guess sorry guys and gals

we"re lost

Please tell us all the dirty details of being able to get these new cache alerts on your cell phone. :lol:

we"re lost

"Instanotify" Notification Service

The Geocaching Instanotify service is a Groundspeak Premium Member feature. As new logs are posted to Geocaching.com you can get an instant email sent to you with the contents of that log entry. The Instanotify feature is now out of beta but is still not yet approved by the Food and Drug Administration.

These notifications go to your default Geocaching email so you need to figure out how to forward them as text messages to your cell phone, assuming you do not have a web enabled phone and get email on it already.

If you are having trouble getting the forward to work. I will recommend one sure way of doing it with any service. Use <your area code and cell phone number> @teleflip.com. It's a free service and works with any phone.

Does anyone know the "sending" e-mail address that GC uses to send out the notifications? TELEFLIP requires that the address of any entity that you want to get text messaged from email be listed on your "ACCEPTED" contacts list to get forwarded. I don't know what that address is just yet. Any help would be appreciated.

Does anyone know the "sending" e-mail address that GC uses to send out the notifications? TELEFLIP requires that the address of any entity that you want to get text messaged from email be listed on your "ACCEPTED" contacts list to get forwarded. I don't know what that address is just yet. Any help would be appreciated.

That should be "noreply@geocaching.com".

I've set up Gmail as my primary e-mail for geocaching.com notifications. I then set up forwarding for all e-mails to my Hotmail account, just for coverage. Last night I set up a filter . . .

To:

Subject: [GEO] Notify: *gln published

Has the words: published

next step

Forward: myphone@mobile.att.net

Note - for the subject, you could leave it at "[GEO] Notify:" but I created two filters, one for my MO reviewer and one for my IL reviewer.

Now, to wait for a new cache to pop up.

JohnTee

What is the reason for the forwarding the notification from a standard e-mail address (yahoo, gmail or whatever) when you can just plug in an alternate e-mail address on the rule itself? I must be overlooking the reasoning to that...just to get it both in e-mail and on your cell?

Edited by egami

No Junk. We get up and do the new ones at that time too. You don't get 208 FTF's by sleeping in.

I LOVE to see this kind of dedication!!!!

i think i am finally understanding all this stuff. I have read and re-read it all and finally have figured it out for the most part.

anyone who is dedicated enough to get up at 3AM to be a FTF my hat goes off to you my friend. KUDOS to you. I see in logs that it doesn't matter what hour of the night or morning there are the FTF go getters out there with the flashlights in hand looking for the caches. That is how our cache was found 9PM at night and it is pitch black where the cache is, she took her flashlight and she was on her way.

thanks everyone for helping me understand this cell phone stuff and getting notifications sent to me. I really appreciate it allot.

we"re lost

I've been using Teleflip for about two weeks, but I always get THREE identical messages per new cache on my phone! Not only does that add to the cost, if there's a bunch of them listed, my phone goes nuts.

RATTLEBARS

I will answer my own question. I with a little research on teleflip I discovered that by default each text message is split into "flipettes" with the default number being three. Each "flippette" can be up to 120 characters and if that upper limit is not reached, teleflip will just repeat the message until it reaches the number you have set. I now have my teleflip account set to send only ONE "flipette" for each mail even tho this might mean some missing characters if the message is longer than 120 chars. Groundspeak notifications are less than 120.

More information can be found HERE.

RATTLEBARS

No. You need to set up a forwarding rule for your profile's e-mail account, so that notifications get sent along to your cellphone.

The Geocaching Instanotify service

I'm not sure what Keystone means there, but when you set up notifications by clicking on the Set up Notifications link on your account page (down near pocket queries), you can enter any e-mail address to send the notification to (not just your profile default e-mail).

I could describe the steps, but if you click on Set up Notifications and then on Create a new notification it's pretty easy to set up. You need to set up a notification for each type of cache plus other attributes and you can if you wish enter a different e-mail address for each and every notification type.

RATTLEBARS

I've been using Teleflip for about two weeks, but I always get THREE identical messages per new cache on my phone! Not only does that add to the cost, if there's a bunch of them listed, my phone goes nuts.

This would be much easier if GC changed their notify to very basic message so it would fit on cell phones.

You really need to get at least two, or three, to make them worth anything.

In teleflip, they are not identical. The first has the name and possibly the GC number, the second has the miles and direction from your location. Depending on the information on the first two, the miles and direction may spill over to the third.

Most services offer unlimited text messenging now as well.

Edited by baloo&bd

The Geocaching Instanotify service

I'm not sure what Keystone means there, but when you set up notifications by clicking on the Set up Notifications link on your account page (down near pocket queries), you can enter any e-mail address to send the notification to (not just your profile default e-mail).

While this is true, the problem lies in that SMS has a limited amount of characters. By the time you get the header from the email, etc, tghe message becomes no more than a "hey, check your email" message. While you need to do that anyway on a IN, depending on what I am doing I may not care about it if it is too far away for me to go for at that moment for the time I have. 3 miles is different than 15 when you only have 30 mins between appointments.

True. All you get with one "flipette" is the GC####, the name of the cache, the difficulty and who published it. But, that's sufficient for me because I don't hunt without looking at the listing because there are no coordinates in the notification and I have nt capability on my phone to get them (I'm too cheap as you can tell by this post since I won't even spend an extra 15¢ for the added info).

I've also got my notifications limited to 10 miles away anyway since I rarely if ever try to grab an FTF that's any farther away than that.

RATTLEBARS