Please Mark TBs or Geocoins as missing

mblitch

I tend to look for caches that have coins in them, especially when traveling. It can be somewhat disappointing to go to a cache to find that the coin/TB missing, which is a part of the general experience since bugs are supposed to be moved around

What is frustrating is when a TB has been missing for quite a while and no one mentions anything. Often the only indication is a note in the cache log that a listed TB wasn't found. Rarely will people seem to make the effort to post a 'note' on the TB log page indicating that it was gone. I've seen bugs listed on an active cache for more than 2 years that had no more than a note or two (often a year apart) that indicated that it was gone. The cache logs mention it, but that is it. The owner of the cache should either check on the cache on a periodic basis or at least read the cache logs and realize that a listed item is gone and subsequently mark that item as missing. Alternatively, the TB/coin owner should probably do the same thing.

I realize that people might own dozens of caches or TBs that would require a lot of time with which to deal, however that is part of the responsibility of taking part in the hobby.

In short, please be a responsible cacher. If you find a cache that does not have a TB that is listed in inventory and it has been there for a while, please at least consider making a note. this way people that plan on looking for a listed TB might know what to expect. It really doesn;t take much time or effort, so I don't understand if the issue is more ignorance or apathy.

I think adding instructions on the bug page on how to move the the traveler helps.

(substitute bug for coin when necessary)

"Unfortunately this bug has been verified as missing.

You can remove the bug from being listed in the cache and place it into an unknown location. This will keep people from making a trip to the cache for a bug that isn't there.

On the bug page, under Travel Bug Owner Options is a pulldown menu labled 'Recalculate Distance', in there is the option "Mark Bug Missing".

You can always retrieve the bug back out at a later time if it is found or re-released. Thanks."

As a cache owner: I don't think it is my responsibility to check my caches every time someone cries about a Traveler not being there. If I get more than one comment, I'll just mark it as "missing". If it just happens to be buried in the bottom of the cache and someone finds it, it can easily be retreived.

Many times there are travelers picked up by folks on vacation, and they have not had the chance to log the TBs or Coins yet. You really need to have some patience. The owner of the trackable item also has to bear some responsibility. If they see that the item has not moveed for 6 months, then they should mark it missing....not wait for the cache owner.

Sometimes, bugs/coins are picked up but not logged for extended periods of time. I like to wait a bit before jumping to the conclusion the TB/coin is "missing", but I will eventually mark them missing.

Oh yes, I wouldn't post a note until at least 30 days after being verified as missing.

and I always start with the bug owner, not the cache owner.

Edited by BlueDeuce

Almost always, I check the current stock listed in a geocache and will contact the TB owners and let them know that their TBs are gone. It's the golden rule: if my TB is gone out of a cache, and I see that 15 geocachers have been to the cache and no one's taken the TB, it's a bit irritating to see no one would say anything, but then again, not every one takes the time to check the cache inventory.

I've recently run into another problem though--a geocacher that won't log TBs! I've called the person about it on two separate occasions and I always get the same response, "Oh! I completely forgot!" This same person even took a RJTB and never logged it and despite my e-mail reminder yesterday, she never did anything with it.

Too many layers of responsibility!! Is it up to the cache owner to maintain the TB/GC inventory in their caches? Or is it the TB/GC owner's responsibility? But is it the owner who gets flumoxed when a cache is visited and no coin or TB is in residence? No, it's the finder but if the finder can't be bothered how is the info passed on to the owner???

As a cache and TB/GC owner I need feedback from the seekers to know how and when the page needs to be updated. Marking a traveller as MISSING is easy enough. It's even easier to mark it found if it should ever surface again.

As a consideration to other coin/bug buffs it's also nice if the logsheet reflects a grab or drop. But that presumes that all finders sign the log even if they have a disdain for doing so online. As long as people play outside the guidelines there will be thefts, lost bugs/coins, and muggled caches!!