Projecting screenshots?

I recently purchased 15 Etrex Legends, a digital projector and 3 laptops for a school program that I am running with the 4-H Camp I work at.

It seems that the biggest challenge we run into is when I hand out the units, and start giving instructions. It is hard to differentiate between the "upper right button" and the "one next to the one in the upper right", or I will talk about "main menu" and they are on Trip computer. Its that sort of thing that makes it diffcult to provide instruction for a large group (up to 45 people in a class).

Does anyone know if it is possible to link a GPS (Garmin Etrex Legend with a Serial port data cable) into a digital projector with the s-video, video, computer-in, computer-out, RS232 and audio connections? This would be extremely helpful for the classroom setting!

Thanks!

CA

I recently purchased 15 Etrex Legends, a digital projector and 3 laptops for a school program that I am running with the 4-H Camp I work at.

It seems that the biggest challenge we run into is when I hand out the units, and start giving instructions. It is hard to differentiate between the "upper right button" and the "one next to the one in the upper right", or I will talk about "main menu" and they are on Trip computer. Its that sort of thing that makes it diffcult to provide instruction for a large group (up to 45 people in a class).

Does anyone know if it is possible to link a GPS (Garmin Etrex Legend with a Serial port data cable) into a digital projector with the s-video, video, computer-in, computer-out, RS232 and audio connections? This would be extremely helpful for the classroom setting!

Thanks!

CA

I don't know about that, but you can capture screen shots using xImage and show them using PowerPoint.

How 'bout some digital photos of the GPS unit, blown up really big, and attached to foamboard? Kinda like the "giant compass" used when teaching kids orienteering. Office Depot, Kinkos, et al. can do this.

You'd really just need one "giant gps" and several overlays of the screen in different modes. If you size it right, I think pictures of the screen sized to 8.5 x 11 paper (laminated for durability) would be large enough for a group your size. That way you only need to spring for one poster-sized print and mount.

I believe the shareware GPStoWin can capture on your computer an image of just what's on your GPS. But that's not the same as dynamically showing it.

Perhaps a standard old style overhead projector with the backlight off and a spotlight shining down from above will work. But that's not as high tech as I would like.

Thanks!

CA

If you're trying to differentiate between th buttons, how would a projector showing the screen help? Seems to me like you need to show your hand and the side of the unit as well.