Scavok 2008 Handmade Geocoins

scavok

I've finally secured a supplier for some raw bulk metal and have sadly sold enough of my collection to actually buy the stuff (:

No presales yet, this is just a reservation list to see how many are up-front interested. After being totally blown away and in-over-my-head with sales on my last one, these will be made in advance. I will start making them this coming week. Again, they can be personalized.

Trackable with icon.

The price will be a shocker, I know, but they will be 1 & 3/4 in diameter and quite thick. Check the markets for copper and bronze metals and the time it takes to make the things and you will see it is justified, so please don't simply reply with "woah, too pricey for me!" :blink:.

These aren't dinky plated things, ask anyone who has held one of this past years's coins!

Solid lead coin: $14.00

Solid lead coin personalized: $18.00

99.9% pure copper coin: $18.00

99.9% pure copper coin personalized: $22.00

932 alloy pure bronze coin: $24.00

932 alloy pure bronze coin personalized: $28.00

3 coin set: $52.00

3 coin set personalized: $60.00

Shipping will be determined once I have a sample to pack and weigh.

Photos will be added ASAP.

You can check up on http://www.scavok.com/geocoin.php for updates and pictures of the lead version.

Trades will be welcome only after sales cover initial costs (sorry).

I think that's everything...

Thanks!

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Can you tell me about the nice aged 'pateen' of green? Is that something that happens to copper or bronze?

That would be what occurs to copper after it has been exposed to the elements. I have to tell you that I have been thinking of a way to make a coin and age it so it is green. Is this possible to do prior to selling?

Can you tell me about the nice aged 'pateen' of green? Is that something that happens to copper or bronze?

If they oxidize the copper can get a green tint, normally in cheap jewelry it is because of a high nickel content in the copper. It would be very slight on these, but since they are clear coated, I wouldn't expect it at all unless they get beat up being cached. The bronze & lead simply turn darker as they oxidize, but again they are clear coated.

If you prefer the coins to age gracefully let me know and I would be happy to leave off the clear coating on the copper or bronze :blink:

That would be what occurs to copper after it has been exposed to the elements. I have to tell you that I have been thinking of a way to make a coin and age it so it is green. Is this possible to do prior to selling?

Ah, a chemist's trade. If anyone likes it, it can be done to the copper ones i bet :blink:

Brush the coin (with fine steel wool or the like) and wrap it in a vinegar soaked paper towel. The entire surface will be green after soaking/drying over a couple days and then buff away at the parts you want to be shiny.

Edited by scavok

I do stained glass work. When doing repair work, I often use copper pennies underneath the stained glass panels, and the copper pennies turn green after being exposed to soldering flux. Of course, I never end up cleaning the pennies, so the green happens pretty quickly, probably within a few weeks. After they've turned green, I can wash them in soap and water, and the green stays.

And that, folks, is the extent of my chemistry (?) lesson for today! :blink:

Am I being silly to want them to age gracefully over time?

I'm thinking I want one copper and one bronze with no clear coat.

I think it is a fantastic idea, I would have to see how it works on the pure copper before making promises, but I would love to see the copper ones with a nice green patina.

Ah, a chemist's trade. If anyone likes it, it can be done to the copper ones :blink:

Brush the coin (with fine steel wool or the like) and wrap it in a vinegar soaked paper towel. The entire surface will be green after soaking/drying over a couple days and then buff away at the parts you want to be shiny.

Uh, yeah, that probably sounds like a better idea than the flux! :blink:

Am I being silly to want them to age gracefully over time?

I'm thinking I want one copper and one bronze with no clear coat.

I think it is a fantastic idea, I would have to see how it works on the pure copper before making promises, but I would love to see the copper ones with a nice green patina.

Ok, consider this our request confirmed.

I am interested in a copper with no clear coat, but I have a question?? What kind of personalization can we get on a coin? Certain amount of characters? On one side or both sides?

Never mind, it helps to read your web site :blink: ! Thats why you built it right :blink: ?

Customizations can be made as well: personal phrase rather than mine on the back (max 27 characters including spaces)

and I can fill in recessed areas of coin with epoxy to give it a smooth finish.

I am interested in a copper with no clear coat, but I have a question?? What kind of personalization can we get on a coin? Certain amount of characters? On one side or both sides?

Never mind, it helps to read your web site :ph34r: ! Thats why you built it right :blink: ?

Customizations can be made as well: personal phrase rather than mine on the back (max 27 characters including spaces)

and I can fill in recessed areas of coin with epoxy to give it a smooth finish.

It is true :P

Though the epoxy won't be done this year. Last time it was far more of a hassle than it was worth. I can handle my metals just fine, but that epoxy was a frustrating experience! I would make a 10 coin batch, fill them with epoxy and then it would be humid the next 3 days and the stuff wouldn't cure properly. I would have to re-make the whole batch :blink: . So clear coat or not are the only options so far on these :cry:

I ordered a lead coin for my hubby and he loves it. Was wondering though what would be the time line for arrival of these? I know that these take a while to make and wondered if this would be a Christmas :blink: present possibility or maybe Valentines :blink: Day. :ph34r:

Most likely a New Year's gift. If you give gifts for new years...

The first batch of the copper coins would go out by Christmas, but the bronze metal won't even be in hand until the beginning of December (if I need to order more copper metal, the second batch would be around the same time) and ship out at the end of January. The lead ones are just plain more labor intensive so they would be at the same time as the bronze as well. So to answer your question, the best case scenario is if you are lucky, you may get a copper one in for Christmas, but most likely an early Valentine's gift.

Like I said, I'm just looking too see what the interest is right now. Nothing set in stone (or copper for that matter) yet at all.

They're beautiful and I love the idea of an aged copper one, but I had a quick question. Can I get a personal message across the center of the coin so that I don't have to give up your slogan around the edge? I like it as part of the original design, but I'd like to gift someone one of these with a message. :blink:

What will most likely be the case is that in the personalized ones, my geoname and slogan would be around the outer edge of the coin (where only my geoname was on last years, (image) and the personalized phrase would be on the back face of the coin surrounding the year, 2008. Non personalized coins will have just my geoname on the edge, and my phrase and year on the back face.

Ditto... where can we send payment? Do you need some of us to pay upfront?

I don't want to accept any payments until I have the metal physically in my hands (if something went wrong, I would hate to experience that situation for me and everyone else).

After I pound out 5 or 6 coins and can determine shipping cost and the time needed to make them en masse, I will start accepting payments. This will be next week if all goes well :unsure:

Ditto... where can we send payment? Do you need some of us to pay upfront?

I don't want to accept any payments until I have the metal physically in my hands (if something went wrong, I would hate to experience that situation for me and everyone else).

After I pound out 5 or 6 coins and can determine shipping cost and the time needed to make them en masse, I will start accepting payments. This will be next week if all goes well :unsure:

I'd love to see a Youtube video of you pounding these coins out! It would be so cool to see how they're made - you'd have to make sure not to bang your thumb though :ph34r:

Alright I got to thinking about this. I had stated my intent for Copper, but I kept leaning towards the bronze one as well. If I was to do those two I would only be $10 away from the $60 for all three. That means the Lead version is $10 dollars.

So I officially change my order to a complete set :unsure: !

Most likely a New Year's gift. If you give gifts for new years...

The first batch of the copper coins would go out by Christmas, but the bronze metal won't even be in hand until the beginning of December (if I need to order more copper metal, the second batch would be around the same time) and ship out at the end of January. The lead ones are just plain more labor intensive so they would be at the same time as the bronze as well. So to answer your question, the best case scenario is if you are lucky, you may get a copper one in for Christmas, but most likely an early Valentine's gift.

Like I said, I'm just looking too see what the interest is right now. Nothing set in stone (or copper for that matter) yet at all.

Well either way I am interested in getting a bronze, maybe a copper not sure yet about that one. But it would make sense to since we already have the lead. I will go with the bronze for now. :ph34r:

Yeah I know crazy woman babblin' and cant make up her mind. :unsure:

I just made a few of the copper coins and they turned out FANTASTIC!

I'll post pics as soon as I get some decent ones, but sales are now open.

Due to the labor required for lead handling, I decided that the lead coins will only available in 3 coin sets.

Full info available on the order page, if you have any more questions don't hesitate to ask :(

This is the first off the anvil, a little scuffy, but lookin' good.

copper.jpg

Enjoy!

http://www.scavok.com/geocoin.php

Edited by scavok