New Cache Type or Filter?

Uncopyrighted

I'd like to be able to sort multi caches by whether or not I need the cache listing to determine the next waypoint.

This could be done by recategorizing multi-caches into two groups: multi-traditional and multi-puzzle. Alternately, multis could be flagged if they require referring to the cache description to solve, and this could be a filter.

What do you think?

Edited by BootyPirates

I'd like to be able to sort multi caches by whether or not I need the cache listing to determine the next waypoint.

This could be done by recategorizing multi-caches into two groups: multi-traditional and multi-puzzle. Alternately, multis could be flagged if they require referring to the cache description to solve, and this could be a filter.

What do you think?

It's a pain... Unknowns are really the hardest ones to get filtered right. Sometimes you need to solve them "in the field" and sometimes you need to solve them before hand.

I actually use geoqo to sort through the unknowns and tag them as "infield" or solve with coordinates. Then I filter what actually goes into the gps based on whether the solved puzzle coordinates exist or if there is an infield tag assigned to it...

Alternately, multis could be flagged if they require referring to the cache description to solve, and this could be a filter.

What do you think?

There's lots of other good information that can be found on a cache page aside from what to do with a multi's stage. Park hours, things to be careful of, where to park, etc, etc, etc.

Read the cache page. It'll save you from other headaches besides "Ok, what do I do with the numbers on this sign?" :(

Being a hard a** here, I think it would be good to split Puzzle caches into multiple kinds also. Puzzles that are puzzles, puzzles that are just different kinds of containers (read the guidelines of the Unknown category), puzzles that are really multi's, puzzles that are not, ...

The real problem here is that people are people and will not always correctly select the right category, and even when they do, there are lots of other people who think they are wrong...

Edited by trainlove

The real problem here is that people are people and will not always correctly select the right category, and even when they do, there are lots of other people who think they are wrong...

Exactly, this isn't just a stop using This and start using That thing.

After figuring out what sort of descritpions and 'test questions' would be used to split the group up, you still have to explain it to everyone and get them to use it correctly. Meaning new types (or attributes) are still could be wrong and you would need to read and research them before hand to be 100% certain.

Additionally, all the pre-exisiting caches are not going to be automatically reorganized. Either some admin has be gang pressed into going and sorting everything for however long that takes, or you leave it up to the cache owners and it gets slowly redone, but it takes years and still probably has errors.