Need hiking poles

Hikers2

I have both the straight handle and the "crutch-type" handle. I prefer the crutch handle - it really helps on the downhill trek at the end of the day.

I concur, poles are good at giving a size dimension to things too. f6632e57-650f-4727-9d40-68a446454151.jpg (geode in trail up Cerro San Luis)

That's a new viewpoint about hiking sticks, giving scale to things in photos that is. I see how that works 'cause it made your feet look really huge. :wub:

Just kidding of course. :)

What's the story on the embedded geode?

Edited by SD Rowdies
I see how that works 'cause it made your feet look really huge.

:wub:

They're on the road that Mr. Alex Madonna plowed up to the top of Cerro San Luis back in the '70s. His dozer just so happened to slice them right in half. We pulled a small circular ball (size of a grapefruit) out of a cut on the side of the road and smashed it to the ground (in the name of geological curiosity, of course). It was a chalky powder inside and disintegrated. Interesting stuff.

Cerro San Luis is one of a bunch of volcanos that surfaced back when we (San Luis Obispo & San Diego) were neighbors - back before the San Andreas fault jolted us up here. That was so long ago, that the inside molten part of the volcano is all that is left of the most famous of them, Morro Rock. The rest of the 25+ former volcanos still have a bit of eroding to do.

I see how that works 'cause it made your feet look really huge.

:santa:

They're on the road that Mr. Alex Madonna plowed up to the top of Cerro San Luis back in the '70s. His dozer just so happened to slice them right in half. We pulled a small circular ball (size of a grapefruit) out of a cut on the side of the road and smashed it to the ground (in the name of geological curiosity, of course). It was a chalky powder inside and disintegrated. Interesting stuff.

Cerro San Luis is one of a bunch of volcanos that surfaced back when we (San Luis Obispo & San Diego) were neighbors - back before the San Andreas fault jolted us up here. That was so long ago, that the inside molten part of the volcano is all that is left of the most famous of them, Morro Rock. The rest of the 25+ former volcanos still have a bit of eroding to do.

Thanks, that clears up a mystery for me. I always heard that geodes are alien gallstones left over from spaceship crashes. Didn't make sense to me because geodes aren't green like aliens are. Well, you know, except in San Luis Obispo and Mt. Shasta City.

In the big picture California winds up sliding under Japan and melting into the magma. That is if the sun doesn't turn into an inevitable red giant before then. Either way we'll be sub-atomic toast.

While hiking in MTRP today, I came across a flyer on one of the kiosks and it said that they sell wooden hiking sticks at the visitors center during the holidays. Not sure about the rest of the year. It stated that they have sticks made from Hickory, Sassafras, Dogwood, Hawthorn and Sumac. Prices start at 16 dollars and they have sizes for children up to the tallest adults. John, I think you need to get over here and find a replacement for the stick you broke that belonged to Jodi. http://www.mtrp.org/gift_shop.asp?idno=6

Edited by "lostguy"
Hi to all the great cachers in NM. We are flying out from NH on 12-1 to ABQ, and plan a geo tour to Cortez, Four Corners and back to ABQ. We are both golden agers. I need to find some resource for 1 or 2 hiking poles for my wife. Ski poles from goodwill or salvation army would be OK, or somewhere we can purchase wooden sticks. Any help will be appreciated.

Hikers2: If there is a Walmart in ABQ you can get a pair of 2 expandable ones for $15. Worth the $$ especially if you only need them for your vacation. I'm from Vermont...your neighbor kind of. I have seen them in the Walmarts here (San Diego) and in St Louis so I bet they have them in NM. Have a good vacation!

Somewhere I read a warning about not putting your weight on the aluminum sticks from Walmart because of the possibility they will collapse. Anyone have any experience with that issue?

While hiking in MTRP today, I came across a flyer on one of the kiosks and it said that they sell wooden hiking sticks at the visitors center during the holidays. Not sure about the rest of the year. It stated that they have sticks made from Hickory, Sassafras, Dogwood, Hawthorn and Sumac. Prices start at 16 dollars and they have sizes for children up to the tallest adults. John, I think you need to get over here and find a replacement for the stick you broke that belonged to Jodi. http://www.mtrp.org/gift_shop.asp?idno=6

Thanks "Lostguy51" I'll have to check it out. Shhhhhhh don't tell Jodi. :(

Hi to all the great cachers in NM. We are flying out from NH on 12-1 to ABQ, and plan a geo tour to Cortez, Four Corners and back to ABQ. We are both golden agers. I need to find some resource for 1 or 2 hiking poles for my wife. Ski poles from goodwill or salvation army would be OK, or somewhere we can purchase wooden sticks. Any help will be appreciated.

Hikers2: If there is a Walmart in ABQ you can get a pair of 2 expandable ones for $15. Worth the $$ especially if you only need them for your vacation. I'm from Vermont...your neighbor kind of. I have seen them in the Walmarts here (San Diego) and in St Louis so I bet they have them in NM. Have a good vacation!

Somewhere I read a warning about not putting your weight on the aluminum sticks from Walmart because of the possibility they will collapse. Anyone have any experience with that issue?

Mine snapped in half..... but of course I did put near 300lbs on the thing.....

Mine snapped in half..... but of course I did put near 300lbs on the thing.....

Hee! Hee! Hee! ... go wooden, its so natural. ... and quiet too.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Hikers2 are now back in very snowy New Hampshire. Thanks to all the replies, etc., on this thread. Although it went afield at certain times, all info was either helpful or interesting. Our final solution was to find two wooden sticks, some kind of scrubby brush, at a cache location just out of Albuquerque on the Rio Grande. We had a fantastic trip caching in NM, CO, UT, and AZ.

Hikers2 are now back in very snowy New Hampshire. Thanks to all the replies, etc., on this thread. Although it went afield at certain times, all info was either helpful or interesting. Our final solution was to find two wooden sticks, some kind of scrubby brush, at a cache location just out of Albuquerque on the Rio Grande. We had a fantastic trip caching in NM, CO, UT, and AZ.

Yeah! wood won. Aluminum for seesies.

Edited by SD Rowdies