Need hiking poles

Hikers2

Hi to all the great cachers in NM. We are flying out from NH on 12-1 to ABQ, and plan a geo tour to Cortez, Four Corners and back to ABQ. We are both golden agers. I need to find some resource for 1 or 2 hiking poles for my wife. Ski poles from goodwill or salvation army would be OK, or somewhere we can purchase wooden sticks. Any help will be appreciated.

Hi to all the great cachers in NM. We are flying out from NH on 12-1 to ABQ, and plan a geo tour to Cortez, Four Corners and back to ABQ. We are both golden agers. I need to find some resource for 1 or 2 hiking poles for my wife. Ski poles from goodwill or salvation army would be OK, or somewhere we can purchase wooden sticks. Any help will be appreciated.

Hikers2: If there is a Walmart in ABQ you can get a pair of 2 expandable ones for $15. Worth the $$ especially if you only need them for your vacation. I'm from Vermont...your neighbor kind of. I have seen them in the Walmarts here (San Diego) and in St Louis so I bet they have them in NM. Have a good vacation!

Edited by jahoadi and john

Aluminum poles are noisy in my opinion, so a wooden staff with rubber tip seems to me more suitable for enjoying the peace and quite of trails. The other problem with aluminum hiking staffs is that user's often flail them around as in pointing at things. That can be pretty disconcerting when standing near them if they flail the staffs near your face. Yep, it happens.

Aluminum poles are noisy in my opinion, so a wooden staff with rubber tip seems to me more suitable for enjoying the peace and quite of trails. The other problem with aluminum hiking staffs is that user's often flail them around as in pointing at things. That can be pretty disconcerting when standing near them if they flail the staffs near your face. Yep, it happens.

Harmon Old (did I say Old?) buddy, I thought you had hiked with Jodi before. I would rather she be wielding the light aluminum poles around vice the heavy wooden staff (who says staff other than Gandolf?) She is very dangerous. Hikers2, go with the young guns input on this one!!

Edited by jahoadi and john

Harmon Old (did I say Old?) buddy, I thought you had hiked with Jodi before. I would rather she be wielding the light aluminum poles around vice the heavy wooden staff (who says staff other than Gandolf?) She is very dangerous. Hikers2, go with the young guns input on this one!!

Why I oughta ...

Clankity-clank, scrape-scrape, clack-clack ... why did the birds stop singing? "Wielding" you say? ... my point exactly.

Sorry, lost my head 'cause I just spent a couple of weeks of my vacation with five other hikers that used them danged noisy, telescopin', compassin', snake-stabbin', chromatically shockin' (spoils photos,) aluminum-pole contraptions. Fun to watch them try to log a find ... container, lid, logsheet, ziplock, GPS, PDA, cell phone, water bottle, and fashionable hiking-pole all in hand.

Yeah, and what about lightening strikes! Y'all gonna die!

Aluminum for seesies. Eighty-six percent of aluminum hiking-pole users wear unbunched socks!

Now I feel all better.

Jodi, you're such a sweetheart ... love y' babe. No wait, that's what they said back in the olden days huh?

Sup now?

Harmon

p.s. John Muir used and Splashette uses a wooden hiking "stick," so there, who can argue with success like theirs?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks to all who dropped an answer to Mr. H2 question about hiking sticks - actually they are for me - Mrs. H2 :lol: as I need stability - we're trying to fly "carry-on" which would mean confiscation by security :), but I'm sure either a Wal-Mart visit or spying a wooden staff somewhere will do the trick :) Thanks again :)

Thanks to all who dropped an answer to Mr. H2 question about hiking sticks - actually they are for me - Mrs. H2 :lol: as I need stability - we're trying to fly "carry-on" which would mean confiscation by security :), but I'm sure either a Wal-Mart visit or spying a wooden staff somewhere will do the trick :) Thanks again :)

Hah! I knew it, she's a wooden hiking "staff" person. Nyah-Nyah!

If you are into the wooden sticks, WalMart also has those available out here. Not sure of the price, but they were right next to the noisy, non-photogenic aluminumnum ones {the kind I normally use, if I even bring a stick}. I would expect the wooden ones to be in the same price range.

Thanks, Yank, for the tip about where to get wooden sticks. I went looking for one a few months ago, and the guy at Big 5 Sports looked at me like I had asked him for a buggy whip, or a package of adapters (anybody remember adapters?) for 45 rpm records. The best suggestion I could get from store sales clerks was to try getting a hand-carved one at the Renaissance Festival! I wound up getting a metal one and have been pleased with it, but now I can check out the wooden option too.

Thanks, Yank, for the tip about where to get wooden sticks. I went looking for one a few months ago, and the guy at Big 5 Sports looked at me like I had asked him for a buggy whip, or a package of adapters (anybody remember adapters?) for 45 rpm records. The best suggestion I could get from store sales clerks was to try getting a hand-carved one at the Renaissance Festival! I wound up getting a metal one and have been pleased with it, but now I can check out the wooden option too.

So now, we want to see some photos of new-hiking-stick/pole/staff users. Otay!

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks to all who dropped an answer to Mr. H2 question about hiking sticks - actually they are for me - Mrs. H2 :ph34r: as I need stability - we're trying to fly "carry-on" which would mean confiscation by security :ph34r:, but I'm sure either a Wal-Mart visit or spying a wooden staff somewhere will do the trick :lol: Thanks again :ph34r:

If you are into the wooden sticks, WalMart also has those available out here. Not sure of the price, but they were right next to the noisy, non-photogenic aluminumnum ones {the kind I normally use, if I even bring a stick}. I would expect the wooden ones to be in the same price range.

This might sound just a tad strange but I have used a wooden staff in the past and actually got it from a tree. Don't know the legalities of this but the availablity was great before the recent fires.

This might sound just a tad strange but I have used a wooden staff in the past and actually got it from a tree. Don't know the legalities of this but the availablity was great before the recent fires.

Or, you could just go to Delaware and grab this excellent Travel Bug (TBMQEX) : http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?id=207265

Great link. Hey Jodi, notice that she called it a "staff." Wonder how old she is? Anyway ...

Vast tracts of Canadian forest have been and are being cleared for mining of aluminum for hiking poles, sandwich wrappers, and such. The number of old-growth trees destroyed by aluminum mining could furnish wooden hiking sticks to each and every Geocacher/hiker for thousands of years to come. Wooden hiking sticks ... they grow on trees.

I love this thread, most all of the Southwest Forum Threads are going through an inactive or at least boring phase. Anybody know some hiking-pole jokes? ... you know, family rated jokes.

C'mon where's the hiking-pole photos?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Why I oughta ...

Clankity-clank, scrape-scrape, clack-clack ... why did the birds stop singing? "Wielding" you say? ... my point exactly.

Sorry, lost my head 'cause I just spent a couple of weeks of my vacation with five other hikers that used them danged noisy, telescopin', compassin', snake-stabbin', chromatically shockin' (spoils photos,) aluminum-pole contraptions. Fun to watch them try to log a find ... container, lid, logsheet, ziplock, GPS, PDA, cell phone, water bottle, and fashionable hiking-pole all in hand.

Aluminum for seesies. Eighty-six percent of aluminum hiking-pole users wear unbunched socks!

Now I feel all better.

Jodi, you're such a sweetheart ... love y' babe. No wait, that's what they said back in the olden days huh?

Sup now?

Harmon

p.s. John Muir used and Splashette uses a wooden hiking "stick," so there, who can argue with success like theirs?

My hiking stick is called a 'Whistle Stick'. There's not a whistle on it, so who knows where they got the name for it. It's not heavy at all and isn't as big as CTY Yankee's. (I'm finding it hard to find the correct words here) :)

Splashette :)

Why I oughta ...

Now I feel all better.

Sup now?

Harmon

My hiking stick is called a 'Whistle Stick'. There's not a whistle on it, so who knows where they got the name for it. It's not heavy at all and isn't as big as CTY Yankee's. (I'm finding it hard to find the correct words here) :)

Splashette :D

The word would be "staff" but I'm not going to say so what with being in enough trouble already with Jahoadi as it is.

With regard to "whistle stick," here's the scoop on that.

Whistle Stick

Depends on the type of wood, for example green Willow can be used to make whistles. Being light weight as you say suggests that it could easily be carved as a whistle and thus is the right sort of wood for a Whistle Stick. A whistle could be used to drown out some of the noise from aluminum hiking poles.

Try carving an aluminum pole. :)

By the way, that's Sassafras wood in the above photo link. See more about wooden hiking sticks at Wooden Hiking Sticks.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Why I oughta ...

Now I feel all better.

Sup now?

Harmon

The word would be "staff" but I'm not going to say so what with being in enough trouble already with Jahoadi as it is.

Whistle Stick

Depends on the type of wood, for example green Willow can be used to make whistles. Being light weight as you say suggests that it could easily be carved as a whistle and thus is the right sort of wood for a Whistle Stick. A whistle could be used to drown out some of the noise from aluminum hiking poles.

I like to have the pair of aluminum poles, don't have the carvings but they are sure scratched up enough. without their assist in climbing the hills I'd never be able to keep up with the likes of Miragee, Dillweed, Jahodie. Notice I only try and keep up with the ladies. The picture of me and the poles are on my profile but darned if I know how to post it here. GFETE

Why I oughta ...

Now I feel all better.

Sup now?

Harmon

Whistle Stick

I like to have the pair of aluminum poles, don't have the carvings but they are sure scratched up enough. without their assist in climbing the hills I'd never be able to keep up with the likes of Miragee, Dillweed, Jahodie. Notice I only try and keep up with the ladies. The picture of me and the poles are on my profile but darned if I know how to post it here. GFETE

Jack- I have one of you coming up!

P4110105.jpg

Yes, some of those that you hike with find TWO metal "Poles" {notice the difference?} the way to go. One set of clackaty-clacks isn't enough, but stereo just brings all the nuances out!

Edited by CTYankee9

Why I oughta ...

Now I feel all better.

Sup now?

Harmon

Whistle Stick

Yes, some of those that you hike with find TWO metal "Poles" {notice the difference?} the way to go. One set of clackaty-clacks isn't enough, but stereo just brings all the nuances out!

Yeah, but look what it's done to FisnJack. For one thing he once was a handsome man and now he's the major clackety-clacker in San Diego County. On the other hand who, not I, can argue with his success even though Miragee always helps him, no, pushes him up the hills.

I just knew that this Thread had possibilities. Thanks for finally posting a photo, can't imagine what's holding up other people with photos of their poles.

Love it, who started this mess anyway?

Harmon

8951d8c5-d0dc-47c2-8915-b9262cb2b8d5.jpg

Our hero ... the Pole Cat.

Edited by SD Rowdies

P5280003-1.jpg

Of course they can be employed for any numerous uses.

P5280019-1.jpg

Resting, holding up bushes, measuring lengths of ground, pointing out interesting landscapes.

Aha! there they are, the Aluminum-Pole Desperados. Correct me if I'm wrong, Miragee and the dawg are not aluminum-pole people. ... there y' go.

Edited by SD Rowdies

5f559acb-a8fc-48e9-a828-9f042844c6c2.jpg

As Miragee goes so goes Geocachers. I give up.

Rule of thirds composition for head and face, some color enhancement via the Lab ab channels,

surface-blurred in the ab channels, sharpened in the Lab L channel, and Apply Image using the

RGB red channel.

P4110101.jpg

My take on the photo composition:

1/3rds are there with markers

used body posture and subject to create flow into "point of interest"

I'll give the color enhancement to "the master of the retouch", other than in a real darkroom, that is not something I have quite gotten the hang of yet in the computer "darkroom". So I am forced to go with what I see in the viewfinder and hope for the best from the little camera that I am currently using for digital photos. Just too much weight to lug the old A-1 bodies and the lenses around in the field {ohhh, hopes of a new 10meg+ digital in the Xmas stocking this year :) }! Just some cropping and dodging and burning is about all I have figured out so far on my paint program {JASC Paintshop Pro X}, while still getting decent results for the final picture.

Great thing about any visual art it is in the eye of the beholder, everyone can look at the same picture/painting or whatever visual art and see something totally different than the person standing next to them.

Never give up Harmon, every old dog learns a new trick, there is still hope for the wood-challenged :) hikers.

5f559acb-a8fc-48e9-a828-9f042844c6c2.jpg

As Miragee goes so goes Geocachers. I give up.

Rule of thirds composition for head and face, some color enhancement via the Lab ab channels,

surface-blurred in the ab channels, sharpened in the Lab L channel, and Apply Image using the

RGB red channel.

P4110101.jpg

My take on the photo composition:

1/3rds are there with markers

used body posture and subject to create flow into "point of interest"

I'll give the color enhancement to "the master of the retouch", other than in a real darkroom, that is not something I have quite gotten the hang of yet in the computer "darkroom". So I am forced to go with what I see in the viewfinder and hope for the best from the little camera that I am currently using for digital photos. Just too much weight to lug the old A-1 bodies and the lenses around in the field {ohhh, hopes of a new 10meg+ digital in the Xmas stocking this year :laughing: }! Just some cropping and dodging and burning is about all I have figured out so far on my paint program {JASC Paintshop Pro X}, while still getting decent results for the final picture.

Great thing about any visual art it is in the eye of the beholder, everyone can look at the same picture/painting or whatever visual art and see something totally different than the person standing next to them.

Never give up Harmon, every old dog learns a new trick, there is still hope for the wood-challenged :( hikers.

Fantastic response ... how could either of us miss with a shot of Miragee? I love it when people actually see what they are looking at while composing a shot. Odd ain't it, that there's many rule-of-thirds compositions within the same shot.

Good luck with your Christmas (holiday?) stocking ... can we say "stocking" nowadays? Make sure to include Photoshop CS3 on your wish-list and then look for Lesson No. 16 on the San Diego Banter Thread. One thing I forgot to fix was the chromatic clash of the two water-bottle lids. Perhaps you can take care of that problem.

Giving up? ... that's just a Texican's term for laying low for a short while, waiting for a new opening.

O yeah, this is the Hiking-Pole Thread so I suppose I should say something about the thread-topic huh? Um, ... aluminum hiking-poles are for seesies.

Hi Miragee, why is that the really old guys love you so?

Edited by SD Rowdies

Good luck with your Christmas (holiday?) stocking ... can we say "stocking" nowadays? Make sure to include Photoshop CS3 on your wish-list and then look for Lesson No. 16 on the San Diego Banter Thread. One thing I forgot to fix was the chromatic clash of the two water-bottle lids. Perhaps you can take care of that problem.

Giving up? ... that's just a Texican's term for laying low for a short while, waiting for a new opening.

O yeah, this is the Hiking-Pole Thread so I suppose I should say something about the thread-topic huh? Um, ... aluminum hiking-poles are for seesies.

Hi Miragee, why is that the really old guys love you so?

Unfortunately all my CHRISTMAS stockings are bunched, so hopefully old Kris Kringle won't be an undercover agent :D for the unbunched sock police and leave nothing but an old Kodak Brownie!

Harmon, you are talking way over my head on the photoshop type stuff for color correction, I have the above mentioned program and the latest Photoshop, but other than some minor corrections here and there, it is just wasted processor time with my abilities! Although I have followed a couple of your lesson plans, but it just isn't there for me.

Now then, my way of compensating for my inability to use these programs is to do my durndest to insure the raw photo is a s close to what I intended to capture. Hopefully the "natural" vision of a photographer{sic} helps in not having to do too much correcting after the image is captured. Unfortunately, its not something that can be taught but has to be learned within. I know a lot of the pictures I take are technically correct by the books I have read, but they just don't say "Look at Me", then others have nothing within them that are based on what makes a good photographic image, yet you look at it and go "wow"?

Back to staffs or poles...

P9030004.jpg

Observations on:

Most helpful going downhill, gets in the way going up.

The heft of wood is nice in the back-country when alone, but you must be willing to use it.

The convenience of aluminium is nice for portability.

Wally-World poles are actually pretty good for the price, and you don't mind leaving them behind {by accident} as SWAG, been there done that.

Carrying a GPS in one hand, having a hiking staff in the other and attempting to keep your caching partner from running off after every little animal that moves is a schooling in multi-tasking.

Carrying a GPS in one hand, having a hiking staff in the other and attempting to keep your caching partner from running off after every little animal that moves is a schooling in multi-tasking.

Hey! I resemble that remark!!!! I guess if you would let me off the lead once in a while we could have some good eats for dinner.

Other observations from my standpoint:

Hiking poles are best used collapsed by my kind.

All hiking poles are for seesies, yeash PEOPLE get some claws and you wouldn't need those things, yeah right the "Theory of Evolution" produces a better product.

Thanks to all who have commented. I have gotten a chuckle or two out of the replies, as well as some photo editing tips. To the wooden stick maker in Kenosha, WI----if we could take them on a plane, we would have no problem. Nice thought to get some at Wallyworld, and then leave them as swag, on purpose, at the last cache we attempt before flying back to New England. Wish us luck weatherwise.

P9030004.jpg

Above we see a small group of aluminum-pole hikers nestled into a pile of wooden hiking sticks provided by Mother Nature.

With regard to Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro ... I have and use both. What really separates them is that Photoshop provides multiple color modes and also color channels. That's where the action is for color correction and sharpening. Paint Shop Pro offers a killer-good screen-capture option.

My disparaging remarks about aluminum hiking poles were inspired by my experience of Geocaching with my sweet bride and four Geocaching friends last month near Mt. Shasta. Opening the tailgate of my SUV with five aluminum poles cascading out onto the ground made me just shake my head in wonder. Here's my confession, I don't use a hiking pole/stick/staff/rod/branch/shaft of any sort ever. So call me OLD fashioned and cranky if you will but do remember that it isn't easy for an oldie to police the unbunched socks of the world and reform the aluminum-pole people at the same time.

... now about having to have a bottle of water in your hand every moment of the day.

Hey, Hikers2, there's the culprits that started this crazy thread.

7371447b-5abb-40ea-890d-bd01478dc505.jpg

Hmm, looks like four of 'em if y' ask me. Look at that, one of 'em is grabbin' on the chicks.

Not sure what th' other one is grabbin'.

Must be them New Hompsha winters.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Thanks to all who have commented. I have gotten a chuckle or two out of the replies, as well as some photo editing tips. To the wooden stick maker in Kenosha, WI----if we could take them on a plane, we would have no problem. Nice thought to get some at Wallyworld, and then leave them as swag, on purpose, at the last cache we attempt before flying back to New England. Wish us luck weatherwise.

I've made numerous staffs that unscrew so they can be transported (similar to a pool cue stick)

So call me OLD fashioned and cranky if you will but do remember that it isn't easy for an oldie to police the unbunched socks of the world and reform the aluminum-pole people at the same time.

I stand Proudly Defiant with both my socks and poles, and wave my nose at those who would impose themselves against my forms of expression.

41462472-ff59-4aa7-ab44-5085c8767120.jpg

7f0b9cf4-a6a6-401b-8f1f-c883c8b1ff16.jpg

We want to thank all of you for your input, it was amusing and helpful. Thanks to the Kenosha,WI cacher for your follow-up. As a clarification, Hikers2 are centered in the photo, and our meet hosts are flanking us. I just have no idea about the positions of the hands. And, yes, the winters are long and dark in New Hampsha. Our first measurable snow fell today.

So call me OLD fashioned and cranky if you will but do remember that it isn't easy for an oldie to police the unbunched socks of the world and reform the aluminum-pole people at the same time.

I stand Proudly Defiant with both my socks and poles, and wave my nose at those who would impose themselves against my forms of expression.

41462472-ff59-4aa7-ab44-5085c8767120.jpg

7f0b9cf4-a6a6-401b-8f1f-c883c8b1ff16.jpg

Wears over the calf socks and uses the word "defiant," ... I'll get back to y' on this one.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Harmon,

Here is a sad story. Read my log for a cache I did this weekend. I think it was a 4.5 terrain cache... Shhhhhhhh don't tell Jodi. I will miss my hiking stick. :lol:

N.gif N 517.5mi from your home coordinates Nevada Saturday, December 01, 2007icon_smile.gifjahoadi and john found New Year, 2006 Reno floods again! (Traditional Cache) I wish I could have been here to see Mike of Geo-Jeeper, retiredprof and 2Dee2Dee attempt to get this one!! I didn't find it right away either and came out on top twice while climbing all over the place(watch the loose rocks). I finally spotted this well positioned container. I must have passed it three times..... TNLNSL I had a casualty while doing this cache and will never forgive you Jerry..... My favorite wooden hiking stick got broken when it fell and hit a boulder just right and broke into three pieces.... It was made for Jodi by one of her work mates, but it was too big for her and I adopted it. I really liked that stick and it had many adventures with both Jodi and I and a few San Diego cachers. However, I did enjoy the challange of the cache on a crisp morning!!! Thanks mate.

Jahoadi and John

Harmon,

Here is a sad story. Read my log for a cache I did this weekend. I think it was a 4.5 terrain cache... Shhhhhhhh don't tell Jodi. I will miss my hiking stick. :lol:

N.gif N 517.5mi from your home coordinates Nevada Saturday, December 01, 2007icon_smile.gifjahoadi and john found New Year, 2006 Reno floods again! (Traditional Cache) I wish I could have been here to see Mike of Geo-Jeeper, retiredprof and 2Dee2Dee attempt to get this one!! I didn't find it right away either and came out on top twice while climbing all over the place(watch the loose rocks). I finally spotted this well positioned container. I must have passed it three times..... TNLNSL I had a casualty while doing this cache and will never forgive you Jerry..... My favorite wooden hiking stick got broken when it fell and hit a boulder just right and broke into three pieces.... It was made for Jodi by one of her work mates, but it was too big for her and I adopted it. I really liked that stick and it had many adventures with both Jodi and I and a few San Diego cachers. However, I did enjoy the challange of the cache on a crisp morning!!! Thanks mate.

Jahoadi and John

John,

In my heart of hearts I always knew that you would be a wooden hiking stick man. Your loss makes my point exactly with regard to aluminum hiking sticks. Breaking a favored wooden hiking stick is a sad event whereas breaking or bending an aluminum hiking stick is nothing more than another trip to an outlet, not very different from crinkling a soda can for the trash.

Still let it be said that aluminum hiking stick users are good people even though they have foresaken the bountiful and beautiful gifts of Mother Nature. "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me." ... no aluminum hiking sticks in that passage I'll wager.

Sorry for your loss John. What do you bet this will stir up the militant aluminum hiking stick people once again? :lol:

Your pal,

Harmon

Edited by SD Rowdies

Harmon,

Here is a sad story. Read my log for a cache I did this weekend. I think it was a 4.5 terrain cache... Shhhhhhhh don't tell Jodi. I will miss my hiking stick. :anibad:

Jahoadi and John

John,

In my heart of hearts I always knew that you would be a wooden hiking stick man. Your loss makes my point exactly with regard to aluminum hiking sticks. Breaking a favored wooden hiking stick is a sad event whereas breaking or bending an aluminum hiking stick is nothing more than another trip to an outlet, not very different from crinkling a soda can for the trash.

Still let it be said that aluminum hiking stick users are good people even though they have foresaken the bountiful and beautiful gifts of Mother Nature. "Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me." ... no aluminum hiking sticks in that passage I'll wager.

Sorry for your loss John. What do you bet this will stir up the militant aluminum hiking stick people once again? <_<

Your pal,

Harmon

:):) That was my hiking stick!!!!! John is in BIG trouble. I'm thinking a trip to the Swiss ALPs to pick out one of those fancy handmade sticks is in order. That stick he so carelessly lost even had a little pewter snake nailed on it. I'm just beside myself...

:):huh:

Harmon,

Here is a sad story. Read my log for a cache I did this weekend. I think it was a 4.5 terrain cache... Shhhhhhhh don't tell Jodi. I will miss my hiking stick. :)

Jahoadi and John

John,

Sorry for your loss John. What do you bet this will stir up the militant aluminum hiking stick people once again? <_<

Your pal,

Harmon

:):huh: That was my hiking stick!!!!! John is in BIG trouble. I'm thinking a trip to the Swiss ALPs to pick out one of those fancy handmade sticks is in order. That stick he so carelessly lost even had a little pewter snake nailed on it. I'm just beside myself...

:anibad::)

See and this is another reason why Aluminum poles are superior to wooded staffs. On my recent journey to the Domelands, I took a spill and my aluminum pole sacrificed its life to save my shins and knees. Would a wooden rod do that? I think not. It would leave your hand covered in splitters and laugh as you rolled down a mountain.

b977b1bc-25ba-47f5-891b-251553e15452.jpg

16da937d-af57-4c12-bced-c54ef7d48f44.jpg

Harmon,

Here is a sad story. Read my log for a cache I did this weekend. I think it was a 4.5 terrain cache... Shhhhhhhh don't tell Jodi. I will miss my hiking stick. :)

Jahoadi and John

John,

Your pal,

Harmon

:):huh: That was my hiking stick!!!!! John is in BIG trouble. I'm thinking a trip to the Swiss ALPs to pick out one of those fancy handmade sticks is in order. That stick he so carelessly lost even had a little pewter snake nailed on it. I'm just beside myself...

:anibad::)

John,

Thanks for taking the Jahoadi-heat off of me ... for a while.

Your pal,

Harmon

Harmon,

Jahoadi and John

John,

Sorry for your loss John. What do you bet this will stir up the militant aluminum hiking stick people once again? :anibad:

Your pal,

Harmon

:)<_< That was my hiking stick!!!!! John is in BIG trouble. I'm thinking a trip to the Swiss ALPs to pick out one of those fancy handmade sticks is in order. That stick he so carelessly lost even had a little pewter snake nailed on it. I'm just beside myself...

:huh::)

See and this is another reason why Aluminum poles are superior to wooded staffs. On my recent journey to the Domelands, I took a spill and my aluminum pole sacrificed its life to save my shins and knees. Would a wooden rod do that? I think not. It would leave your hand covered in splitters and laugh as you rolled down a mountain.

b977b1bc-25ba-47f5-891b-251553e15452.jpg

16da937d-af57-4c12-bced-c54ef7d48f44.jpg

Too many moving parts, no wonder it failed. No problem, looks like a duct-tape fixer upper.

Real men eat splinters for breakfast. So there.

Edited by SD Rowdies

Harmon,

Jahoadi and John

John,

Sorry for your loss John. What do you bet this will stir up the militant aluminum hiking stick people once again? :)

Your pal,

Harmon

:):D That was my hiking stick!!!!! John is in BIG trouble. I'm thinking a trip to the Swiss ALPs to pick out one of those fancy handmade sticks is in order. That stick he so carelessly lost even had a little pewter snake nailed on it. I'm just beside myself...

:santa::wub:

0002006A.gif Sounds like this should be on the Whinners thread.

Have fun in the Swiss Alps, I've been there and they do have some fancy hiking sticks.

Side note: just make sure he doesn't drop you while climbing. 00020080.gif

Edited by SKILLET