60CSx vs 76CSx

jbmanno

Hello everyone!

I'm new to geocaching and have been using my Nuvi 360 to find the caches...Nuvi works very well (getting me within 5' to 10'), but I'm worried about ruining it by getting it wet or dropping it.

I stumbled on your site and have it narrowed down to the 60CSx or the 76CSx, but now I'm stumped.

I want to make sure that the unit is rugged and I also want to be able to update it so it will last me for a few years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe

When I bought my GPS (July I think), the 76CSx was cheaper than the 60CSx. Since they are both basically the same unit as far as performance and interface is concerned, that's how I decided to get the 76CSx. I'm very happy with it. If I were buying now, I'd probably look at the new HCX range too as they are smaller and appear to have good performance.

When I bought my GPS (July I think), the 76CSx was cheaper than the 60CSx. Since they are both basically the same unit as far as performance and interface is concerned, that's how I decided to get the 76CSx. I'm very happy with it. If I were buying now, I'd probably look at the new HCX range too as they are smaller and appear to have good performance.

Just wanted to repeat this. I have the Vista HCx which is small enough to fit in my pocket, but which works great for auto-routing and caching. It is very durable, although I did get an "Invisible Shield" for the screen, and have the neoprene cover for it as well. I wanted to keep it looking new even after the rigors of caching.

The Vista HCx is also quite a bit less expensive. Apparently, REI has it for ony $219.00 now.

Just another option to consider . . . :unsure:

Just wanted to repeat this. I have the Vista HCx which is small enough to fit in my pocket, but which works great for auto-routing and caching. It is very durable, although I did get an "Invisible Shield" for the screen, and have the neoprene cover for it as well. I wanted to keep it looking new even after the rigors of caching.

The Vista HCx is also quite a bit less expensive. Apparently, REI has it for ony $219.00 now.

Just another option to consider . . . :unsure:

I second all of that. Although I preferred the 60 in the car, the vista works great too. I personally think the ability to comfortably put the vista in my pocket trumps the slightly better car utility of the 60, but that's my personal opinion. And it's pretty important to me to just have one unit. I think the vista is the perfect trail and caching gps and good enough in the car. I'd see it differently probably if I was a traveling salesman.

I also have the 76CSX. Very nice GPS. Another factor you may not have thought about is the 76CSX has no antenna that can mistaken as a gun barrel.

I know one 60CSX user in the forum had cops pointing guns at him and had female police officers frisking him. They seen him looking around and thought he was armed and did a man with gun call to police. (Def gave the 60CSX user a differnet adventure then the one he thought he would get. lol)

But as the rest of the people said, you might want to check out one of the newer cheaper units.

--danny

mo_town_man

HOLY CRAP! I don't want to be arrested or killed in front of my kids for Gods sake!!!

Now I'm back to being confused, how does the Vista HCX work as a car navigator? I am on the road a lot and need the ability to also use this thing as a turn by turn navigator (without a lot of hassle anyway). Does the HCX also have the games that are on the 76CSX?

Thank you, everyone has been very helpful so far.

I also have the 76CSX. Very nice GPS. Another factor you may not have thought about is the 76CSX has no antenna that can mistaken as a gun barrel.

I know one 60CSX user in the forum had cops pointing guns at him and had female police officers frisking him. They seen him looking around and thought he was armed and did a man with gun call to police. (Def gave the 60CSX user a differnet adventure then the one he thought he would get. lol)

But as the rest of the people said, you might want to check out one of the newer cheaper units.

--danny

mo_town_man

That sounds like a crock o' crap to me. It's right up there with the "CD drive is a cupholder" internet legend from years ago. :lol:

That sounds like a crock o' crap to me. It's right up there with the "CD drive is a cupholder" internet legend from years ago. :lol:

No. Its not a load of crap. I said it based on a experience a user had and others even had on the same cache. I believe security would have still called police on the guy, but may not did a "man with gun" call, and been treated so bad in front of his kid, if they didn't see the gun barrel. (or what they thought was such)

Here is the links...

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php...p;hl=gun+barral

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...76-daa0f4c54b07

Granted, i wouldn't make this my main decision on buying the 60 vs 76, but may be one consideration so i threw it out there. Flame me if u wish, but i don't regreat posting that response. After all, geocachers are pokeing around strange places looking for something and others see us doing this strange activity often at a distance.

--danny

mo_town_man

Edited by mo_town_man

I have used both the 60 and 76. I like the 76 because of the button placement. When using one hand, the buttons are easier to manipulate above the screen. In my line of work, ergonomics are important and appears to be a consideration for this unit to me (probably not in reality, but heh we can say Garmin was thinking of that).

Several industrial psychology books mention this as "better control layout" - several military devices are setup this way. Whether or not that is better for everyone remains to be seen I suppose - I like it!

That sounds like a crock o' crap to me. It's right up there with the "CD drive is a cupholder" internet legend from years ago. :ph34r:

No. Its not a load of crap. I said it based on a experience a user had and others even had on the same cache. I believe security would have still called police on the guy, but may not did a "man with gun" call, and been treated so bad in front of his kid, if they didn't see the gun barrel. (or what they thought was such)

Here is the links...

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...76-daa0f4c54b07

Granted, i wouldn't make this my main decision on buying the 60 vs 76, but may be one consideration so i threw it out there. Flame me if u wish, but i don't regreat posting that response. After all, geocachers are pokeing around strange places looking for something and others see us doing this strange activity often at a distance.

--danny

mo_town_man

OK, but I still don't see any reference to him using a 60 series GPSr when he was arrested. :ph34r:

Hello everyone!

I'm new to geocaching and have been using my Nuvi 360 to find the caches...Nuvi works very well (getting me within 5' to 10'), but I'm worried about ruining it by getting it wet or dropping it.

I stumbled on your site and have it narrowed down to the 60CSx or the 76CSx, but now I'm stumped.

I want to make sure that the unit is rugged and I also want to be able to update it so it will last me for a few years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Joe

They are essentially the same unit internally, so it's a matter of personal preference and cost. The 76 is usually a bit cheaper because its form factor is not as popular as the 60 series.

You might also want to consider a Vista HCX. Cheaper, smaller and should perform as well as the 60CSX and 76CSX.

About that antenna.

The 60 is much better at maintaining a lock in the woods than the 76 due to the helical antenna vs the patch antenna.

The 76 is better, but not much, at getting a lock while in a random spot on ones dashboard for the same reason.

Patches recieve better along the horizon, helical receive better all over but mostly better upwards.

About that antenna.

The 60 is much better at maintaining a lock in the woods than the 76 due to the helical antenna vs the patch antenna.

The 76 is better, but not much, at getting a lock while in a random spot on ones dashboard for the same reason.

Patches recieve better along the horizon, helical receive better all over but mostly better upwards.

This is becoming an urban legend. The 60 and 76 series have the same quad helix antenna. It is enclosed in the case of the 76, I suppose that gives it the additional buoyancy to float. How the rest can be true is a mystery to me. The comparison of patch versus quad helix is true, but it doesn't apply here.

OK, but I still don't see any reference to him using a 60 series GPSr when he was arrested. :)

"The security guard did come outside and appologise for the mistake. He said that from where he was standing and watching, the antenna on the 60csx looked like a gun barrel. All of the police involved were very professional in the way they handled me and the situation. I thanked them for not shooting me and for the job that they do every day. After explaining geocaching they all seemed very interested in the sport and wished me good luck in finding what I was looking for. I have no hard feelings against any of these people for anything that happened that day."

This info is right on the link i sent. You have to scroll down a bit. Directly from the owner himself.. superfly.

Maybe rather then flameing someone, you should read and learn something first.

--danny

HOLY CRAP! I don't want to be arrested or killed in front of my kids for Gods sake!!!

Now I'm back to being confused, how does the Vista HCX work as a car navigator? I am on the road a lot and need the ability to also use this thing as a turn by turn navigator (without a lot of hassle anyway). Does the HCX also have the games that are on the 76CSX?

Thank you, everyone has been very helpful so far.

The Vista HCx uses the same mapping software and gives the same accurate turn-by-turn directions as a 60 CSx or 76CSx, plus it has the added benefit of fitting into your pocket as you make your way across that crowded parking lot to the LPC . . . :)

OK, but I still don't see any reference to him using a 60 series GPSr when he was arrested. :)

"The security guard did come outside and appologise for the mistake. He said that from where he was standing and watching, the antenna on the 60csx looked like a gun barrel. All of the police involved were very professional in the way they handled me and the situation. I thanked them for not shooting me and for the job that they do every day. After explaining geocaching they all seemed very interested in the sport and wished me good luck in finding what I was looking for. I have no hard feelings against any of these people for anything that happened that day."

This info is right on the link i sent. You have to scroll down a bit. Directly from the owner himself.. superfly.

Maybe rather then flameing someone, you should read and learn something first.

--danny

Ok, I'm sorry that you think I "flamed" you. No need to cry about it. I simply said that it sounds like an internet legend.

Jeez, grow a thicker skin dude. :)

Please note that in order to do auto-routing you will need to purchase City Navigator (Software). This software will work with the Vista CX, the 60CX,CSX, and the 76CX,CSX.

Possible corrections:

* I believe both the 60*x and 76*x will autoroute on the basemap right out of the box

* metroguide 4.x autoroutes out of the box

* metroguide 5.x and greater will autoroute if you massage it.

Please note that in order to do auto-routing you will need to purchase City Navigator (Software). This software will work with the Vista CX, the 60CX,CSX, and the 76CX,CSX.

Possible corrections:

* I believe both the 60*x and 76*x will autoroute on the basemap right out of the box

* metroguide 4.x autoroutes out of the box

* metroguide 5.x and greater will autoroute if you massage it.

Well, granted the 76CSX can autoroute with the basemap, BUT its 100% worthless. Unless the only place u plan on driving is major highway. Which is slim to none. Basemap is a joke.

--danny

-mo_town_man