taking my gps to Ireland-will it work

Terrier45

I am going to Ireland in February and have scouted a few caches near where I will be. Does anyone know if my garmin etrex will still give me long. and Lat in a foreign country. Not crazy about buying $300 worth of mapping software. Figure since most of these will be in urban areas I should not need it.

Terrier45

I am going to Ireland in February and have scouted a few caches near where I will be. Does anyone know if my garmin etrex will still give me long. and Lat in a foreign country. Not crazy about buying $300 worth of mapping software. Figure since most of these will be in urban areas I should not need it.

Terrier45

If your GPSr can see the sky it will work anywhere on earth. The only extra cost you might need is a base map but thats not essential.

Terrier45

If your GPSr can see the sky it will work anywhere on earth. The only extra cost you might need is a base map but thats not essential.

What they said. The GPS satellites blanket the earth; latitude and longitude are a global grid; GPS units don't discriminate by country/hemisphere. :blink:

I cached in Denmark, Sweden, Finland, and Estonia last year without any problem. Didn't load any maps or anything, just the caches, and used local paper maps when helpful.

I just got back from the Czech Republic, Vienna, Budapest, and all over Romania (not a cache rich country) and had no trouble at all. The only thing you have to do when you get there is let your GPS catch up to where you are. Sometimes takes a minute or two. The only place that restricts the use of GPS is Russia--I guess they are still paranoid. By the way--best place I went was Ceske Krumlov in Southern Czech Rep.

Terrier45

I thought Irish gps's were whiskey powered.

:) I managed to find three there about a year ago. It amazed me that I could take a bus tour all over Ireland and seldom stop nearer than 3 miles to a cache.. I used Mapsource European Metroguide maps in my Garmin GPSMap 60CSX. Ditto on what others are saying regarding the adult beverages. I really enjoyed the Smithwicks. I tried Guiness at the brewery and a couple of other locations, but I preferred the Smithwicks. I also tried Jameson at the distillery, but I'm not a big whiskey drinker.