Disappering Caches

GeoScooter1

I know caches can be archived or disabled, but can they just disappear completely as if they never existed?

I had entered some coordinates into my GPS for a cache and couldn't find it at the time. At a later date, I went to the website to look for the cache page and I couldn't find it at all. The same thing happened recently on another cache. I was just browsing around an area I might be traveling through and read one that sounded really interesting, but I didn't have time to download it or anything. I looked for it 2 days later, and NOTHING! I don't think I am making this stuff up, nor do I think I have completely lost my mind, but this is driving me crazy. I can remember parts of the descriptions, the clue for one of them, and yet it they are nowhere to be found.

Unless you know the GC code

I would send the GC code, but the paper I wrote it on disappeared too.... :blink:

hmmmm - it IS a conspiracy!! :blink:

Better a conspiracy than me totally and completely losing my mind. I had just looked at this one cache 2 days ago and thought I would wait until I got to my destination before downloading it, and then, IT WAS GONE!!!!

Lesson learned. If a cache (and in this case, the place) looks interesting, download it at that moment. Do not wait.

I know caches can be archived or disabled, but can they just disappear completely as if they never existed?

<snip>

Actually, they can "disappear," something that just happened to a cache being discussed after this post and again after this post in this thread.

The cache had "Found It" logs, and "Notes," but it was "retracted" as if it never existed . . . :blink:

In addition to knowing someone who found that cache, or the GC name of it or the 6 or 7 digit code number of the cache (unlikely) or the 128 bit GUID code of that cache (totally unlikely unless your brain is infested with nanobots), you could find it if you knew who placed the cache. Learn about the prolific cache placers in that area.

It used to be, and I think this posting is a veiled attempt at trying to get the 'Archived' viewing ability of the geocaching.com maps to be re-implemented.

Almost. There's always some remnant left, I think.

There was a cache that was placed a few miles from my house. I saw the listing pop up, went out and found the cache, came home and logged it... and within an hour, the cache listing was gone. Not just archived -- it had been retracted. (It had a guideline violation -- it was a codeword cache with no logbook.)

My log still exists (I can get to it from my "show all logs" page), and the find is still included in my stats... but no one else can see the retracted cache page, or my log for the cache (except, I think, the cache owner).

The cache used to be here, but now just shows an error message. My log for it is here -- I can see it if I'm logged in with this account, but not from any other account.

The cache used to be here, but now just shows an error message. My log for it is here -- I can see it if I'm logged in with this account, but not from any other account.

Ah very interesting. Like the profile of a BANNED member that I know of and still have the GUID from some email logs.

But who is the owner of that cache you mention? Can one see it listed in his profile?

[There was a cache that was placed a few miles from my house. I saw the listing pop up, went out and found the cache, came home and logged it... and within an hour, the cache listing was gone. Not just archived -- it had been retracted. (It had a guideline violation -- it was a codeword cache with no logbook.)

My log still exists (I can get to it from my "show all logs" page), and the find is still included in my stats... but no one else can see the retracted cache page, or my log for the cache (except, I think, the cache owner).

Delisted caches are an interesting compromise. After all, I did find it. It does show in my find total. Albeit, I can only find it from "My Geocaching Logs (Filtered by Log Type): Found it" TPTB decided that it violated a guideline, and should never have been listed. So, it has been delisted. But, I did find it, so it is listed in my find count. As I said: a good compromise. Since I cannot access the page, and I forgot who hid it, I do not know if it's still listed under his 'hid' list.

Though, I'm not sure if this was OP's question.