New caches and FTF etiquette

3MudDogs

I have several new caches planned for a park that has previously been off-limits to caching. I have placed a decent FTF prize in each one. Will I be considered a jerk if I publish the caches one at a time, so that the same person doesn't grab all of the FTFs? Just want to make these caches as much fun for everyone, but don't want folks to get a negative impression, either.

Thanks for any opinions.

I recently beta tested 4 caches for a friend. They were all in a new park so they aren't too far apart. He placed an identical FTF prize in each. He asked on each cache page that FTF only take one prize - and that seems to be working.

No guarentees, but most cachers are considerate of others.

I too think that is a great way to spread the potential "ftf joy" as it would possibly open up the opportunity for others to snag a ftf.

Btw, cachers who get all the FTFs on newly published caches are not necessarily jerks. They are only doing what comes natural which is trying for all the new caches in an area while they are in that area. Of course some might consider them jerks if they snagged all the ftf prizes too, but when you think about it, unless there is a stipulation by the cache owner not to, their right to do it was earned legitimately!

After your first cache is found, the word will be out that the park is available for caching and you risk someone else placing a cache or 3 in the park before you place the second one.

You should be able to prevent this if you place all your caches, and have them ready, but work with your reviewer to have them be published at an interval that works for both of you (one each day, for example).

I have several new caches planned for a park that has previously been off-limits to caching. I have placed a decent FTF prize in each one. Will I be considered a jerk if I publish the caches one at a time, so that the same person doesn't grab all of the FTFs? Just want to make these caches as much fun for everyone, but don't want folks to get a negative impression, either.

Thanks for any opinions.

By staggering caches it's not going to make a difference. The true FTF hounds will be back again and again. I think that it's more probable that by publishing them all at once, more people will have a shot at them.

If they are published at the same time there is a chance that different people will target different caches. If you stagger the release, the local FTF hounds will just turn around and go back out there as soon as the next one is published.

This all may be moot because YOU don't publish caches, your reviewer does. It's up to him when they will be published. You can ask for certain timing, but you aren't necessarily going to get it.

I have all of the caches placed and "enabled" and my local reviewer is aware of my intentions, so I'm hoping to pull it off as planned. I asked the reviewer for an opinion on this and he/she chose to abstain. So thought I'd ask here instead. Thanks for the feedback and encouragement. Caches should be showing up soon.

I'll throw in one scenario where staggered cache listings could be considered "jerky"... if you have to pay to hunt. Like where it's a park with an entrance fee, or you have to pay to park, or it's on a toll road, or you have to pay to ride a ferry, etc.

But I'm sure your caches don't fall in that category or you'd have mentioned it... :unsure:

Thanks for any opinions.

I find that good puzzle caches help level the playing field when it comes to FTF's. Not all of the FTF Hounds solve all of the puzzles first. This gives the rest of us that can't get out at a moments notice a chance to still compete in the FTF race.

Someone did that around here with caches that are only reachable by boat.

I don't know if it really spread the FTFs all that much though, as few local cachers own boats. But it sure made for some interesting complaining... which the rest of us "boatless" cachers were entertained by.

So, if you don't mind the complaints that are sure to follow, go for it"

Thanks for any opinions.

Until you asked the question, how the heck would anyone know you didn't place them one at a time and list them as they were approved?

Jerkiness has nothing to do with it. You can list your caches in any order or sequence that you chose. The only issue may be that someone else who found your cache places one in the same park and gets that listed before you list your own cache and thus blocks your cache due to the proximity rule.

I'll throw in one scenario where staggered cache listings could be considered "jerky"... if you have to pay to hunt. Like where it's a park with an entrance fee, or you have to pay to park, or it's on a toll road, or you have to pay to ride a ferry, etc.

But I'm sure your caches don't fall in that category or you'd have mentioned it... :lol:

Why not jus throw on here "if you have to pay for gas to get there." WHat the OP is trying to do is put a few caches in a nearby park, properly spaced, but have them published one at a time, in effect, creating a new FTF race each time one is published, rather than make them all available, in close proximity to each other.

I think it's brilliant, and as a FTF hound, I'd love to race everyone else daily for a few days running. It's winter here in Alaska, and the new cache placements slow down this time of year.

Thanks for any opinions.

Until you asked the question, how the heck would anyone know you didn't place them one at a time and list them as they were approved?

Jerkiness has nothing to do with it. You can list your caches in any order or sequence that you chose. The only issue may be that someone else who found your cache places one in the same park and gets that listed before you list your own cache and thus blocks your cache due to the proximity rule.

The way he described it, I don't think this should be a problem. Sounds to me like all the caches have been placed, and the pages created. He's just asking the reviewer to hold off publishing them all at once. I would think that the reviewer will know where all the cachers are prior to publishing the first one, and if someone else submits a cache, the reviewer could simply respond by saying that there is already a cache placed in this area, even though it hasn't been published yet. Of course, this may tip off another cacher that there is a new cache about to be placed, thhus giving them a bit of a heads up that a new one will be published first.

Another option may be for the reviewer to simply not respond to the second person to place a cache in the area, if it's too close to one of the other caches placed, and then when the one that is too close to the second submission gets published, simply email the person that was econd to submit a cache in the area and tell them they were beaten to the punch as far as timing of the placement.

have to agree with briansnat as well - around here it doesn't matter if the caches are published all at once or one at a time. The same couple of people are FTF. I admit that I go after them if I can sneak out of work for 30 min and they are close. But for the most part there are 2-3 people that grab all of them no matter what time of day, how many in a day, etc. They are also the folks that have pretty much found everything local so I guess FTF is the only thing they have left w/o traveling quite a distance.

I figure if I can grab one FTF here and there, great. If not, no big deal as I like to pretend I have a life outside of caching.

Thanks for any opinions.

Another suggestion:

In addition to spreading out the cache publication day to day, if you feel strongly about maximizing the possibility of having different FTFs for each one, you may want to ask your reviewer to also vary the TIME OF DAY at which the caches are published. If you have the 4 caches published, say, four days apart, but they're all published in, say, the late evening, you're probably very likely to get the same cachers FTFing them anyway! Most of the caches in our area tend to be published in the evening - and they same crowd of 3 or 4 cachers always seems to go after them then. Caches published in the morning would likely have a different set of FTFs (the other FTF hounds being at work, etc.) and may also make it more likely people with young kids may be able to go for the FTF as well.

Your reviewer may or may not be able to accomodate a specific time though, so don't get upset if your reviewer says, "No, sorry. Evenings are the only times I have available to review!"

Just my 2 cents.

Matt

Thanks for any opinions.

Another suggestion:

In addition to spreading out the cache publication day to day, if you feel strongly about maximizing the possibility of having different FTFs for each one, you may want to ask your reviewer to also vary the TIME OF DAY at which the caches are published. If you have the 4 caches published, say, four days apart, but they're all published in, say, the late evening, you're probably very likely to get the same cachers FTFing them anyway! Most of the caches in our area tend to be published in the evening - and they same crowd of 3 or 4 cachers always seems to go after them then. Caches published in the morning would likely have a different set of FTFs (the other FTF hounds being at work, etc.) and may also make it more likely people with young kids may be able to go for the FTF as well.

Your reviewer may or may not be able to accomodate a specific time though, so don't get upset if your reviewer says, "No, sorry. Evenings are the only times I have available to review!"

Just my 2 cents.

Matt

I agree...I have to admit that I am a FTF hound and have got my share of them due to the time they are usually published here and the odd hours I work...but there has been many an occasion that I have seen a cache come up and even though I have waited awhile and no others pop up, I head out only to come back and find another one was published a few hours later...too late for me so someone else got it...

So staggering the times is great.....gives everyone a chance...and there are a lot of FTF hounds here so the competition is fierce...

BTW - my objective is not the FTF prize but the first name in the book, especially if it was a particularily hard one...and especially if there are more than 2 or 3 cachers looking for it at the same time....

Edited by hike n'bike

Thanks for any opinions.

Another suggestion:

Just my 2 cents.

Matt

Or another idea, see if they can be published an hour apart on the same day. So the subsequent ones go live while the FTF hounds are in the field after the first one. :)

I think the local FTF hound who grabs all of the nice FTF prizes would be the jerk in this situation. I hope the local reviewer is able to accommodate your request. Sounds like you are planning well.

I agree. Although I don't give out FTF prizes any more as the same limited group of finders get them. I've done this before and will do in the future.

I think the local FTF hound who grabs all of the nice FTF prizes would be the jerk in this situation. I hope the local reviewer is able to accommodate your request. Sounds like you are planning well.

I agree. Although I don't give out FTF prizes any more as the same limited group of finders get them. I've done this before and will do in the future.

As a former FTF hound I'd say that FTFers aren't in it for the prize, but the honour of being first. Most FTFers would never scoop all the prizes, but would certainly attempt to be first on all the caches.

I personally completely fail to see what is so special about being FTF. To me that is just a person with a more flexible job and ability to go caching any day/any time.

I would be very annoyed if I drove a long distance to go to a new park for a cache, whether I was finder #1 or #100, just to see another one published the next day and another one the day after. Had I known all that I would have waited until they are all there.

As has been suggested, ask people to take only one of the prizes.

As a former FTF hound I'd say that FTFers aren't in it for the prize, but the honour of being first. Most FTFers would never scoop all the prizes, but would certainly attempt to be first on all the caches.

This is certainly seemingly true in our area from what I've seen and what I've heard. In fact, the guy that was FTF on my cache I am not sure ever collected the prize...

"The way he described it, I don't think this should be a problem. Sounds to me like all the caches have been placed, and the pages created. He's just asking the reviewer to hold off publishing them all at once. "

Correct. Except that the "he" is a "she". Two caches published; one found; two yet to come.

Edited by 3MudDogs