Rest Stops?

Skylatshaw

Hey guys,

I'm going home for Thanksgiving, a 7 hour drive along the thruway. I'd like to find caches hidden right off the road, in the rest stops, etc. Is there an easy way too root them out?

Welcome to the Forums! If you're a Premium member, you can use the "Cache Along A Route" feature. Otherwise the best way is to pan along the route using the Google Maps feature. Also you can download a KLM file into Google Earth.

Yep, Cache along a Route is the way to go. One of the best features the GC. com clowns have come up with. I use it frequently in my travels.

Hey guys,

I'm going home for Thanksgiving, a 7 hour drive along the thruway. I'd like to find caches hidden right off the road, in the rest stops, etc. Is there an easy way to root them out on the website?

But to answer your real question.

One could do a search for "rest" or "stop" or "rest stop" or "reststop" or "pit stop" or "pitstop", or "quick" or... This is just how I did it on my recent trip to Delaware. But then I looked at the profiles for those cache planters and found some others that had different style names.

One could also use the maps and slowly, really slowly, scroll along your intended route to see what caches are near the road you are on. This is fraught with possibilities of nearby but not on the road caches, or even under the highway, but not reachable from the highway caches like GCQ51P.

One could also use the maps and slowly, really slowly, scroll along your intended route to see what caches are near the road you are on...

Or one could blast the interstate area with PQ circles that create circles around the road, but ONLY of the caches you like to find. Then take all of those GPX files and load them into Google Earth and "fly" your route. You should be able to spot the Rest Stops along the way easily.

What *I* would love to see is a GPX file of interstate rest stops and oasis. THAT would help immensely.