"Type of log" meanings

klsavp

Write note = leave some note about the cache, often used to record a second visit or the drop of a trackable item or note for the owner - some tidbit of information

Needs Archived = you found a cache that you feel is in violation of the guidelines and the owner has not adquately addressed the issue. Could be a severe neglect problem or a violation of some law etc....

write note is just that, you are simply writing a note. Notes are often used for the following purposes:

1. You solved the puzzle part of a puzzle cache, and you post that you solved it before actually heading out to get the physical cache.

2. You are using the note in order to drop travel bugs into the cache (you can do this with a found it log, but if you have alread "found it", writing the note is the easiest way without artifically inflating your finds"

3. Sometimes used as a thread of conversation with other cachers, but this should be done minimally, IMO.

I'm sure there are other reasons to post a note, but there are soem common ones off the top of my head.

Needs archived I'm not too sure. I guess it is when another cacher sees that a cache is clearly somewhere it shouldn't be I guess.

Use the 'Found It' Log to report when you found the cache.

Use the 'Did not find it' Log to report when you looked but couldn't find the cache.

Use the 'Write Note' for anything else. Perhaps you are in the area and just want to check on the cache you found previously. You can write about your experiences using the Write Note. If you just want to let the cache owner know something privately, click on the owner name to send them email.

Needs Archived is a special note to let the cache reviewers know that there is potentially a problem with the cache not being in compliance with the guidelines. Most often this is used when the owner is not meeting their obligation to do cache maintenance. But it could also be used if you find a cache in a location that is not permitted under the guidelines.

Needs Maintenance is a special note to let the cache owner know that the cache needs maintenance. You could use a regular note or a message in your found it or did not find it log, but the Needs Maintenance log will set the Needs Maintenance attribute so that other cachers will see the cache is in need of maintenance.

The cache owner has some additional options

Owner Maintenance is use to report that a maintenance issue has been fixed. This clears the Needs Maintenance attribute.

Archive is used to archive the cache when it is no longer there to be hunted.

Temporarily Disable is used to mark that the cache is not available to be hunted but that owner still intends to fix the problems.

Enable is use to reenable a Temprorarily Disabled cache after the problems are fixed

Update Coordinates is use for making a minor correction to the coordinates.

Post Reviewer Note is to post a special note to the reviewer. If this is used prior to the cache being published, the note is automatically removed when the cache is published. If it is use after the cache is published, it is treated identically to a normal Write Note.

Edited by tozainamboku
Needs Archived is a special note to let the cache reviewers know that there is potentially a problem with the cache not being in compliance with the guidelines. Most often this is used when the owner is not meeting their obligation to do cache maintenance. But it could also be used if you find a cache in a location that is not permitted under the guidelines.

Needs Archived basically says that the cache need to be taken offline for some reason. Could be as Tozainamboku said that it is not in compliance with the guidelines. For instance if you found the cache and it is 10 feet from active railroad tracks, or behind no trespassing signs. It could also mean that you know for a fact that the cache is missing and that it's apparent that the owner does not intend to replace it.

Needs Archived is the only log type that will send an automatic notification to the reviewer, so it's a way of saying "Hey reviewer, take a look at this!".

Hmmmm... I wonder if this suggestion from one year ago (had it been implemented) would have helped in this.

The one problem with that solution (assuming it works like the tabbed profile page), is that you can't direct someone to a specific tab, since they all have the same URL. I can go to your profile page, click on the Trackables tab, and email that URL to someone. But it they try to use it, they won't get the Trackables page.