New Benchmark Contest

GEO*Trailblazer 1

Maybe I missed a memo, or am Bingo-challenged, but I'm a little (ok, a lot) confused about the Bingo portion of this contest.

I've downloaded BENCHMARK BINGO 1.xls. I've identified contest worthy benchmarks - even found one already! - but I'm not sure how to use the spreadsheet. Is the spreadsheet the bingo card and found benchmarks go in the appropriate cell? Maybe someone could post an example of how we can use the spreadsheet to tabulate our results?

Second question, any preferences on when we log contest finds in the Benchmark Logging thread? One entry per week? Or whenever........

Colleen

My understanding (and a check to see if I've got it right) is that the spreadsheet is partially for the contest organizer, and partially for us. I have a local copy, and am using it to note the marks I have recovered for the contest. I believe the on-line version will be occasionally updated by the judges as a sort of scoreboard.

For the first week, as you know, the eligible marks in the 'B' column have a designation of B 3xx.

You may recover as many B 3xx marks as you can, throughout the duration of the contest, and all of them will count for points depending on age, etc.

We also will get points for completing a BINGO line, horizontal, vertical or diagonal...and of course the legendary blackout!

The rules don't specifically say so (or I missed it), but I think you will only be able to use a particular mark in a cell in one bingo line or for the blackout. In other words, you would need to find at least four B 3xx marks to qualify for all the bingo lines that can originate from the 'Week 1; B' cell and for the blackout.

I think, as in previous contests, it is easier for all concerned if we claim our finds and lines as we go, on a regular basis. 'Saving up' a load to dump all at once puts a big strain on the verification team.

On the next xls you will see exactly how I got it done.

If you look you can fill in the grid just like a bingo card.(appropriate squares)

I even have it where if someone needs a second,third or so on card.

I have outlined the different kind of points you get as well.29aeecc2-e07b-459e-921c-252f2040e8c8.jpg

Hope this helps in explaining and the image is only partial.

Just fill it in for you for each week.

You will see on the next download of the xcel.

The word is not as fancy.

I have a suggestion for an addition to the "weekly" numbers: Toss a "0" (Zero) into the mix of randomly assigned numbers. Or maybe add a zero after one randomly picked lines.

Why the zero? Let it represent any string of letters. In looking over my targets for the weekend in SoCal, I realized they are all level strings, all scaled, all along roads, etc. That is the nature of the way we have set up the contest. I like to get out & hike some hills, trails, etc. Those marks are mostly (all?) triangulation stations, which are typically named (after landmarks, the surveyor, etc), and not numbered (at least around here).

For example, if the C 8XX this week was selected as, say C 80XX, the zero would indicate that you could use any mark begining with a "C" in that spot. E.G.:

CHOYA

CHURCH

CIVIC

CANON

CLIFF

etc.

This would make the contest a bit more interesting for those of us that like to get off the roads. I know it's a bit late to change the rules, just trying for more interest. I'm just not very excited about scaled marks along the roads.

Thoughts?

Klemmer, are you suggesting only that the "0" could stand for any letter, or also for any number? Because if we could indeed "use any mark beginning with a 'C'," then C 1, C 2, etc. would also be allowed, and the weekly combinations of specific numbers with specific letters would have no special significance. We could search for any marks that begin with any of the letters in "BENCHMARK." I'm not saying that's a bad idea; I'm just trying to clarify your suggestion.

Patty

Edited by Wintertime

Patty:

No, not including any numbers. Just letters. I'm trying to include Triangulation Stations. The way it is, the marks will be all (or very very heavily) scaled bench marks, usually along roads.

Shirley:

No, not a wild card (that is not a bad idea, but a separate subject). Just allow one alpha name on a letter per week. Just assign a new one each week. Or do it randomly....

We have never had a contest that excluded Triangulation Stations. We just did it to ourselves without thinking about it, because of the way we did it. I would have brought up the subject sooner, but didn't think of it.

If no one else agrees, and most importantly, the head hancho Geo*Trailblazer, then never mind.

I have a suggestion for an addition to the "weekly" numbers: Toss a "0" (Zero) into the mix of randomly assigned numbers. Or maybe add a zero after one randomly picked lines.

Why the zero? Let it represent any string of letters. In looking over my targets for the weekend in SoCal, I realized they are all level strings, all scaled, all along roads, etc. That is the nature of the way we have set up the contest. I like to get out & hike some hills, trails, etc. Those marks are mostly (all?) triangulation stations, which are typically named (after landmarks, the surveyor, etc), and not numbered (at least around here).

For example, if the C 8XX this week was selected as, say C 80XX, the zero would indicate that you could use any mark begining with a "C" in that spot. E.G.:

CHOYA

CHURCH

CIVIC

CANON

CLIFF

etc.

This would make the contest a bit more interesting for those of us that like to get off the roads. I know it's a bit late to change the rules, just trying for more interest. I'm just not very excited about scaled marks along the roads.

Thoughts?

While I don't mind being limited to mostly scaled marks along roads, I wouldn't mind having an occasional triangulation station thrown in to mix things up a bit. :grin:

I agree that we should include 0 (ZERO) in the possible random numbers, and that it should indicate triangulation stations starting with the letter in that column.

I would ask that intersection stations be EXCLUDED from eligibility, however.

UH-OH! I've been thinking again...

Today I realized there are nine letters in the word 'BENCHMARK' (I'll wait while you count to be sure. :ph34r: )

But the contest is scheduled to run for eight weeks, so we don't have a square grid.

No big deal, but this means there are (at present) either four possible diagonal lines or perhaps none (since the traditional BINGO diagonal goes through the center square).

Are we going to allow four diagonal lines, or extend the contest for an additional week?

Another possibility would be to specify that the diagonals must originate in the upper corners.

UH-OH! I've been thinking again...

Today I realized there are nine letters in the word 'BENCHMARK' (I'll wait while you count to be sure. :ph34r: )

But the contest is scheduled to run for eight weeks, so we don't have a square grid.

No big deal, but this means there are (at present) either four possible diagonal lines or perhaps none (since the traditional BINGO diagonal goes through the center square).

Are we going to allow four diagonal lines, or extend the contest for an additional week?

Another possibility would be to specify that the diagonals must originate in the upper corners.

Woops your right.

I looked it over again an edited my post.

Anyone for going another week to make the grid square?

9x9

Or the diagonals from the upper corners?

Edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1
WOW! That blackout just moved out of reach.

NO H 54x in Arizona!

We have an AH 54, but I already didn't find it.

UH maybe not.

Did I forget to mention the free space(s) that will be awarded.

Just a comment, not a complaint!

I'm sure other contestants are (or will) face similar challenges!

Perhaps the free space will save my donkey?

WOW! That blackout just moved out of reach. :drama:

NO H 54x in Arizona! :D

We have an AH 54, but I already didn't find it.

Just checked Coconino County, AZ and out of 1,528 unfound benchmarks there is a grand total of 45 available benchmarks for the contest. The breakdown is 7 "Cs", 1 "K", 1 "M", & 36 "Rs". Throw in the found benchmarks and that adds 5 more to the list. That means C,K,M,N,A & R are what we have here in Coconino for the 2nd week of the contest.

Forget Blackout & possible Bingo.

John

2 questions on the scoring.

1st is a FTR for being the first GC,com log or does it include all recoveries on the GC.com page including all official recoveries on the datasheet?

2nd does the DNF need to be the last log before it is logged for the contest or can there be recovery logs after the DNF, but before it is recovered for the contest?

John

PS: forgot to answer Topflitejr1 about the miles on the GPSr. The unit has rolled over at least 5 times and our other unit (a Meridian Platinum) has rolled over about a dozen times. :P

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

1st is a FTR for being the first GC,com log or does it include all recoveries on the GC.com page including all official recoveries on the datasheet?

Just at GC com

2nd does the DNF need to be the last log before it is logged for the contest or can there be recovery logs after the DNF, but before it is recovered for the contest?

It has to be a DNF as a last log.

wow, I've searched all the nearest counties and I've come up with a total of 2 BMs that would qualify for this contest (so far). With gas prices they way they are, I think I'll skip the contest. There's lot's of benchmarks that aren't part of the contest that need to be found and are still close to home.

wow, I've searched all the nearest counties and I've come up with a total of 2 BMs that would qualify for this contest (so far).

"Astro-D", did you check for named stations beginning with "R"? I only had 3-4 possible marks for the second week's targets until I looked at triangulation stations beginning with that letter.

Patty

wow, I've searched all the nearest counties and I've come up with a total of 2 BMs that would qualify for this contest (so far). With gas prices they way they are, I think I'll skip the contest. There's lot's of benchmarks that aren't part of the contest that need to be found and are still close to home.

PM0064 B 21 WI bench mark disk

PN0730 B 219 WI metal rod 5/13/2007

PN0757 B 218 WI metal rod 5/19/2007

QM0471 B 216 WI metal rod

RL1428 B 212 WI metal rod

RM0520 B 210 WI metal rod ?

RM0550 B 213 WI metal rod

RM0583 B 214 WI metal rod

RM0608 B 211 WI bench mark disk

NH0740 R WI bench mark disk

NH0265 R 2

RM0600 R 208

PN0715 R 219 WI metal rod 5/13/2007

PN0740 R 218 WI metal rod

QM0482 R 214 WI metal rod 5/27/2007

RL1431 R 212 WI metal rod 4/30/2006

RM0470 R 211 WI metal rod

RM0539 R 210

PN0779 R 228 WI metal rod 11/26/2006

PN0836 R 227 WI vertical control disk 7/2/2006

PO0472 R 220 WI metal rod

PO0505 R 223 WI bench mark disk

QM0513 R 225 WI metal rod

QM0516 R 221 WI metal rod

QM0537 R 226 WI metal rod

QM0577 R 222 WI metal rod 12/27/2002

QN0428 R 224 WI metal rod

How are you searching.

Are these all a long ways from you?

There is that free space remember.

But you may also get lucky and recover a few numbers that fit the game.

Don't give up yet.

PM0064 B 21 WI bench mark disk

PN0730 B 219 WI metal rod 5/13/2007

PN0757 B 218 WI metal rod 5/19/2007

QM0471 B 216 WI metal rod

RL1428 B 212 WI metal rod

RM0520 B 210 WI metal rod ?

RM0550 B 213 WI metal rod

RM0583 B 214 WI metal rod

RM0608 B 211 WI bench mark disk

NH0740 R WI bench mark disk

NH0265 R 2

RM0600 R 208

PN0715 R 219 WI metal rod 5/13/2007

PN0740 R 218 WI metal rod

QM0482 R 214 WI metal rod 5/27/2007

RL1431 R 212 WI metal rod 4/30/2006

RM0470 R 211 WI metal rod

RM0539 R 210

PN0779 R 228 WI metal rod 11/26/2006

PN0836 R 227 WI vertical control disk 7/2/2006

PO0472 R 220 WI metal rod

PO0505 R 223 WI bench mark disk

QM0513 R 225 WI metal rod

QM0516 R 221 WI metal rod

QM0537 R 226 WI metal rod

QM0577 R 222 WI metal rod 12/27/2002

QN0428 R 224 WI metal rod

How are you searching.

Are these all a long ways from you?

There is that free space remember.

But you may also get lucky and recover a few numbers that fit the game.

Don't give up yet.

:huh: Most of those are a few hours drive (one direction). The PNs and PMs are closer to home. But we've cleared out quite a few, some of them are not accessible, and hubby will not revisit found marks unless we included a note on them for a future check up.

We'll just keep hunting the stations and logging them as we go. If we do come across one or two we can use for the contest, we'll log it. but don't expect us to put up any big numbers.

I see now a new issue for the ruling committee:

With the new random letter combinations there are marks that are eligible to fit into two (or more) possible squares/cells.

I think in the back of my mind I was anticipating this, which is why I expected the 'random letter' marks to include only marks with nothing but letters (ALBERT, but not A 105).

Who will decide where a 'double opportunity' mark will fall in the grid? Or perhaps it should count twice (in both cells)?

With the new random letter combinations there are marks that are eligible to fit into two (or more) possible squares/cells.

But each one can only be used once.

If you choose it to go for a number you can not change it.

If you use it for a letter the same.

You can get lots of extra points though marked as recoveries.

Explain more if this does not cover your query.

But each one can only be used once.

If you choose it to go for a number you can not change it.

If you use it for a letter the same.

You can get lots of extra points though marked as recoveries.

Explain more if this does not cover your query.

So, this issue only applies to BINGO claims...or maybe a blackout. I knew that.

For this week's numbers, I could recover an A 8xx mark, and use it in either column 'H' or column 'A' in the third week row. Once I claim a BINGO where that mark is used in whichever column, it's location on the grid becomes fixed (and of course it can't be used again). Is that about right?

So the contestant gets to decide where they will spot a 'double opportunity' mark once it is needed for a bingo or a blackout.

I already have a recovery that can fit in two cells!

OK, here's a loaded question!

IF

I was FTR on a mark now eligible in the contest (previous to the contest, but over a year ago)

AND

If I return to the same mark again, and post a photo.

AND

Nobody has bothered to visit the mark since my original recovery.

THEN

Can I claim FTR points?

<wringing my hands greedily>

:)

That would mean there was already a found it log on that benchmark when the contest started and therefore would not qualify as a FTR.

But that is just the opinion of an oldfart. :)

We have a number of Not Founds that we did Find sometime back and using that logic would mean that we would be able to claim a "Find" for a "Not Found" recovery log, since no one else has log a find for them. We're talking 100 points a mark, Hmmmm, Hey Geo...... :)

John

That would mean there was already a found it log on that benchmark when the contest started and therefore would not qualify as a FTR.

But that is just the opinion of an oldfart. :)

We have a number of Not Founds that we did Find sometime back and using that logic would mean that we would be able to claim a "Find" for a "Not Found" recovery log, since no one else has log a find for them. We're talking 100 points a mark, Hmmmm, Hey Geo...... :)

John

Could you post a list please? B)

But that is just the opinion of an oldfart. B)

John

Could you post a list please? :huh:

To start the list ANGEL which would be a FTR (all previous finds were for the wrong disk) plus a DNF (last log is for the wrong benchmark) but not an old age bonus. :)

Edit To Clarify: The last log before ours is for the wrong disk.

John

Edited by 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

A quagmire I say you just gettin us in a quagmire I say.

Simply If it has been recovered even by you it has a FTR.

I hate to have to be this way but I could see where that may get out of hand fast.

For me anyway.

It's OK, I drive a lifted JEEP with big tires! Quagmires are no problem... :D

Anyway, I was just wondering, and it's better and more clear to say:

If there has been ANY recovery, by ANY PARTY previous to the contest, then the FTR has passed!

As well, I really don't need the three or four additional ones I visited again last weekend...

I just finished logging all those recoveries, so get ready for a salvo in the logging thread. :D

Edited by AZcachemeister