New Benchmark Contest

GEO*Trailblazer 1

................B...............E..............N...............C.............H.............M..............A..............R...............K.......

WEEK 1....123...........23............22............111..........38............51............88.............47..............15.....

WEEK 2

WEEK 3

WEEK 4

WEEK 5

WEEK 6

WEEK 7

WEEK 8

I am trying to work out a BENCHMARK BINGO Game.

Each week a new set of numbers will be listed randomly.

1st week would be(Example).

B-123

E-23

N-22

C-111

H-38

M-51

A-88

R-47

K-15

That would give each person 9 chances per week for finding each mark and a BINGO if the got the whole line.

Also allowed would be multiples of the same numbers like B-123 could be from seperate lines or different areas.

A BINGO is the same as a BINGO in the game.

Up, down, across, and diagonal.

I have a WORD and an EXCEL Spreadsheet I am working on and will see if I can figure how to get them linked for you to use if you like.

Now is time for comments and to work out the flaws.

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.

I am trying to work out a BENCHMARK BINGO Game.

Each week a new set of numbers will be listed randomly.

1st week would be(Example).

B-123

E-23

N-22

C-111

H-38

M-51

A-88

R-47

K-15

Using the above sample, we would have 1 chance of finding M 51 if it hasn't been destroyed. We've looked twice so far and can't find it. None of the rest are available in Coconino County, AZ.

This is going to be one tough contest!

John

I looked for the first three on the list and using on those letters and numbers. I can't find one in CA. This may be very difficult to do.

It depends whether the rules require the exact designation mentioned in the contest targets (such as "B 123"), or whether that only has to be part of the designation. I see designations "B 1230" and "B 1231" in California, to use that same example.

Patty

I had some hard finds too!!!!!!!!!!

OK I am going to change it a little.

B 1XX

E 2XX

N 20X

C 1XX

H 3XX

M 5XX

A 8XX

R 4XX

K 15X

X can be a fill in number.

I seem to find a lot more this way and it won't be so tough.

See if it works better for you all as well.

Thanks for the ideas 2 Old Farts

That should work better.

Using the sample above, most would be available in Coconino, Mohave, and Kane Counties. And like regular Bingo, not all numbers on your card get called.

Looks like it will be a fun and interesting contest.

So, what are the thoughts for the scoring? Points per benchmark, points per bingo, any bonus points, etc.?

John

5 pts. per Benchmark

10 pts. per Benchmark if older than 1950.

20 pts. per Benchmark if older than 1930.

50 pts. for a Benchmark BINGO.

100 pts. if it has a Not Found and you find it.

And that yet elusive extra points for ???????? Yet to be determined.

Benchmarks have to be at least 1 year since you last logged it.

I will open a new thread for the logging page.

How will this work out?

Any concerns or comments?

I still have yet to get prizes together but I guess I can make it last long enough to get those together.

Any donations to the cause?

I have something in the works but can't offer what I do not have yet but I do have some other things to offer and will add that soon.

How about a start date of 4/15/2008 and to end 6/15/2008.

That would be 8 weeks of the best time to play before the real heat sets in.

Yes I will do the sign up page just as soon as I can get this posted.

Think I'll have to pass on this one. I've worked most of the nearby lines. Pickings getting slim. Thanks anyway, and have fun.

:D A Benchmark contest without Mr. Dolphin? :o

This will be the first contest without you in the running. We find that we have worked most of the nearby lines and will have to go for the previously found ones. This will just confirm that they are still there and what shape they are in and allow us to get better pictures than we had before. (with the cornstarch).

Maybe Andy Bear would want to be in the contest with you helping him? Or, do you want us to challenge you in some way to make it interesting enough to entice you?

Really though, I do understand if you do not join in this time. It will just seem strange not to have you and Andy Bear around this time. :o

Maybe next time we could have a contest about finding a cache that includes a benchmark in some way....

Good caching Mr. Dolphin.

Shirley~

5 pts. per Benchmark

And that yet elusive extra points for ???????? Yet to be determined.

Benchmarks have to be at least 1 year since you last logged it.

I will open a new thread for the logging page.

How will this work out?

Any concerns or comments?

Just a bump up to remind all benchmark hunters that they have to sign up soon to be one of the contestants. Come on and join the fun. The more - the merrier! ;)

Shirley~

No one will know the exact numbers until that week of the competition.

I have e-mailed the spreadsheet and word doc to wwflover to post on his web site.

He should have it posted before long.

How about 4 minutes :)

Here's the Excel and Word documents!

Very nice and a nice thought to have it in both formats since some use only one kind (like us).

Thank you very much wwflover!

So, Wintertime, just sign up and each week there will be a new set of single digits to use as you see fit (1, 2, 3 or however many numbers that are available).

We hope to get at least 1 per week. We do not expect to win, just have the fun of being in the contest.

Thank you Geo for getting this all around and for the work that you will do before it is over. :)

Shirley~

Just some more clarifications, please. The numbers are going to change every week. Do we know what day of the week they are going to change? Can we only work on that week's numbers or can we continue to work on week one until we finish it? Say I need a N 2XX on week one but there isn't any for 300 miles but during week three I know I am taking a vacation and can pick it up then, will it still count for week one?

From the first day start at 12:00 midnight to 7 days 12:00 midnight.

One full week except on the last weeeeeeek it is a little longer if you do the math.

I think as of this point once the numbers are alloted for the week you may continue to work on the lines and bingo's, extra points, etc.

Subject to modification before contest for clarity.

I will also start a logging thread closer to the start date.

4-15-2008 is coming on fast.

I have e-mailed the spreadsheet and word doc to wwflover to post on his web site.

How about 4 minutes ;)

Ok....I click on either link and I get a screen asking for my email address and a password???? I can't access anything. Please help!

What if R3 was randomly drawn.

Then you find a benchmark with the designation STEWARD RM 3.

Would that work for R3?

Or say E2 and you found a benchmark

with the designation JASPER 2.

Would that work for E2?

How about 4 minutes ;)

Ok....I click on either link and I get a screen asking for my email address and a password???? I can't access anything. Please help!

'AstroD-Team'

You should just be getting a page asking what you want to do with the file open / save .

'Team Fawlty'

On the benchmarks I think the we need to stay with the designator.

E 2X

Examples:

KG0123 E 2

E 20 1-9

Meaning that it has to be in the data base as the designator KG0123 E 2 the reference marks and azimuths do not count.

Only these letters will be used B E N C H M A R K

Random numbers will be picked for those letters each week.

Hope this answers your questions.

How about 4 minutes ;)

Interestingly, the Excel link opens the document natively on my PC, but the Word link opens a save file dialog. :D

AstroD-Team, (to paraphrase an old fishing joke) are you sure you're holdin' your mouth just right? :lol:

Oh, and I'm still not clear on what marks will be allowed... :lol:

All benchmarks in the Geocaching Data Base that you have not found in the last 12 months.

Oh, so newer marks in the NGS database not listed on Gc.com aren't eligible?

How do we prove our finds? Do we send photos to someone? Do the photos have to include a GPS receiver screen showing date and time to prove the date?

Patty

Like the last BM run contest.

Log a note at the benchmark and you can upload the current images to it.

Dates will be best for proof but if you can not for some reason get a clear image those can be judged when you post your links back to the benchmark.

I will start a logging thread very soon.

There is not much of a way to prove you were at a new NGS mark that is not listed.

You could have dated images but I think for fairness we will limit it to the GC Data base.

Now I have considered Waymarks that have been already posted.

But I think that may be better for another contest.

OK, I think I've got it now...

Since the contest numbers have been posted, it all became clear.

If I understand correctly, our task (for column B this week) is to find at least one B 3xx mark, which will fill in cell B-1 on the bingo card. As well, all the B 3xx marks we can find will count in the contest points total, with age and previous recovery status counting accordingly.

How many points for a 'blackout'?

If I understand correctly, our task (for column B this week) is to find at least one B 3xx mark, which will fill in cell B-1 on the bingo card. As well, all the B 3xx marks we can find will count in the contest points total, with age and previous recovery status counting accordingly.

Oh, so we can find more than one benchmark for each letter/number combination?? I thought once we had filled in a certain "square," that was it, just as in bingo.

Patty

Something else has occurred to me... ;)

I understand that we can look for marks from week 1 (etc.) throughout the contest, and the points will count. ;)

What if we recover a mark during week 1 that isn't eligible for the contest in week 1, but happens to come up in a later week's list? :rolleyes:

See below.

Don't recover it until you need it?

What he said.

Oh, so we can find more than one benchmark for each letter/number combination?? I thought once we had filled in a certain "square," that was it, just as in bingo.

Patty

Yes that's it.

5 pts. per Benchmark

And that yet elusive (BLACKOUT) extra points for 500 pts.

I am still working out the prizes, got a little while but they will be great I promise.

Yes that's it.

Which is? We can find more than one per combination, or once we've gotten one mark for that combination, that's all?

Patty

Don't recover it until you need it?

IF I am 150 miles from home, I will darned sure recover all the marks I can and correctly log them on the date I was there.

IF one of those marks should subsequently become eligible in this contest, I intend submit it for the contest, since it was recovered during the contest period.

Is it ecologically/economically responsible to make another 300 mile round-trip for one mark?

I WILL NOT LIE about the date of my recoveries, but if a mark is eligible in the contest, I hope to get some kind of credit for recovering it.

Perhaps such a recovery could count for the mark points only, but not for any bingo line or in the blackout?

Geo, are we restricted to only benchmark disks or is any benchmark with the correct designation allowed?

For the "C8" number there is only 1 benchmark C 8 within 150 miles (as the crow flies) of our location. We checked Coconino, Navajo, Mohave, Yavapai, Clark, Washington, Kane, and Iron counties and that is the only "C 8" available and it is a bolt in a boulder and the last 2 logs are "Not Found".

Before we drive that far to see if it still exists, will you make an official call, do designations for benchmarks other than disks qualify for the contest?

John & Shirley

Ain't it fun making the final call? :)

Geo, are we restricted to only benchmark disks or is any benchmark with the correct designation allowed?

For the "C8" number there is only 1 benchmark C 8 within 150 miles (as the crow flies) of our location. We checked Coconino, Navajo, Mohave, Yavapai, Clark, Washington, Kane, and Iron counties and that is the only "C 8" available and it is a bolt in a boulder and the last 2 logs are "Not Found".

Before we drive that far to see if it still exists, will you make an official call, do designations for benchmarks other than disks qualify for the contest?

John & Shirley

Ain't it fun making the final call? :)

No If you find a bolt or any other mark and it is the mark with no question it qualifies.

If it is a NF you will also get that bonus.

I will also clarify if the station is destroyed and you can find a reference mark or the azimuth with the designation on it it will qualify as part of the mark.

I would also like to clarify we would like to have a current image with the log.

It is hard to just say yes to a note only.

Date is prefered but I know how hard that can be sometimes.