GeocachingRaking: Have your say

QFC

header.gif

Love or hate it, the ranking site is here to stay... but after our second birthday we are willing to hear your suggestions.

On again the programmers are looking for something to play with and would like to better the site. We hope to let it catch up with the times reach a state that will may you happy, us happy, the hippos and little green q_yellow.gif men happy and willing to stay and play with the site longer.

Please use this page to post suggestions on how we can make the site better. How can we increase the community spirit of it.

Let us know!

Thanks

Q, F and C

Wazat, I think QFC needs to explain to us how the updating works and when. I know there is some way the stats get calculated taking the American time and the square-root of Pi into account. So maybe you are logging your caches correctly but because of other factors your stats don't get updated as often as you would want..

Our stats have not updated for about 10 days - in fact the last time they updated was when QFC manually updated them. The system definitely seems to have its favourites too :lol: - some cachers stats were updated and others were not! :)

Oh dear, spoke toooooo soon - has now been updated!!!! Thanks QFC! :):)

Edited by Tricky Vicky & Mickey

Wazat, I think QFC needs to explain to us how the updating works and when. I know there is some way the stats get calculated taking the American time and the square-root of Pi into account. So maybe you are logging your caches correctly but because of other factors your stats don't get updated as often as you would want..

Seems like the finger was taken out the Pi. I see that my stats were updated. But I have just logged another find so I will see after the next update if I have been counted......

Please not that this is not intended as a "this is not working thread"!!!!

If I could I would delete all of these posts, but I can't.

Please keep your posts to suggestions for the site. Complains of not working stats will not be of any use to us!

Thanks

* this site is a work of "passion" and free time: continually being b1tched at does not inspire passion*

Sorry QFC, never ment it to be as a negative. I did notice that some stats would not update. But I tested it just now and it is working from my side again. Stats are updating 100%. Thanks the site is great and I am sure that all that use it appreciate the efforts you have put in. I for one am really grateful for the hard work you have put in.

I am not sure if everyones stats are updating but it looks like it now.

Thanks guys... Maybe a bit of a harsh response on my behalf :ph34r: ... but please remember as much as you are passionate to show how well you are doing (Congrats TVM on 1400+ :ph34r: ) we (mostly me) are still doing this for "fun" and in my (lack of) spare time. The last time I went caching is a month ago........ :lol:

Work on the site has been stealing a little too much work time lately and I like you wish its stats would just update properly and run quickly.

Please send mails if the stats are broken or you need to be added. Someone will get them... (and you will get a reply, all be it a month late sometimes)

now.....

:DAnyone got suggestions :ph34r:

Hi QFC

I have no problem with the layout or information provided on the site, it is perfect as is and appreciate the hard work and time you guys do.

The only thing is maybe have the person to login before any information is provided. At the moment you can view all stats (no need to login) and only the profiles are protected with a login. This will also provide info of the login users when using the site albeit just to look at the stats.

Just my 2 cents.

QFC, I'm not sure if you got my email I sent about a month ago, in which I offered to assist you in maintaining the site in some way?

I'd like to confirm that I am still willing to help if needed...just shout! :)

Hey Neville,

Got your mail... It is stacked in the mailbox with others that are willing to help. Once we complete the site upgrade (early 2008) we will go on a recruitment drive to find administrators that can help maintain cachers and pass on info about the site.

Thanks for the message.

The only thing is maybe have the person to login before any information is provided. At the moment you can view all stats (no need to login) and only the profiles are protected with a login. This will also provide info of the login users when using the site albeit just to look at the stats.

Wouldn't this be more irritating? I guess we would have to have the log in functionality working then. :) Thanks for the insight!

QFC Firstly we should say that you have created a great web site. :laughing:

And the fact that you are willing to put yourself out there for the country and for geocaching

serves as proof that to the fact that you are a credit to the game!!! :(

Thank you! We look forward to meeting you GPS in hand up a mountain somewhere!!! :(

I have only one small issue - it is for all the guys how have not found a cache in while i.e.

a few years... They are well into the negatives should there be a point that you don't loose any more points and just 'fall of the system' or stay on Nil...? There is a lot of dead wood that has been genrated over the years.... if they ever start again they could be reinstated.... i duno just thinking aloud.

What a page just for pictures - the ramdon gallery is cool and I like to see Willow the cacher dog every now and again but what about a section where you can surf the subitted pictures?.... i duno just thinking aloud.

If you made no changes we would still be happy

Thanks for all your effort....

See you up a mountain. :laughing:

Was it just me or did I see everything start working again 2 days ago. Right after QFC was last active. Shows you that caching helps get the brain freshened up again.

Thanks QFC, the site seems faster now too. I don't know if anyone had the same problem that you would wait ages if you hit the update stats button. Now it is a few seconds and it is in.

I have only one small issue - it is for all the guys how have not found a cache in while i.e.

a few years... They are well into the negatives should there be a point that you don't loose any more points and just 'fall of the system' or stay on Nil...? There is a lot of dead wood that has been genrated over the years.... if they ever start again they could be reinstated.... i duno just thinking aloud.

Hmm.... good point. A year and a bit ago when we wrote the site there was not too much dead weight, but now that theres is we will have to look into catering for it.

Thanks for this! :D

What a page just for pictures - the ramdon gallery is cool and I like to see Willow the cacher dog every now and again but what about a section where you can surf the subitted pictures?.... i duno just thinking aloud.

You can surf the pictures that have been submitted, but only on a per cache basis.

Click on a cacher (any cacher).... Under the Profile section of the menu you can now selected [cacher]'s image gallery and browse all of the photos that have been submitted by a cacher.

Though we will be adding a section to browse all of the photos. :D

Edited by QFC

Was it just me or did I see everything start working again 2 days ago. Right after QFC was last active. Shows you that caching helps get the brain freshened up again.

Thanks QFC, the site seems faster now too. I don't know if anyone had the same problem that you would wait ages if you hit the update stats button. Now it is a few seconds and it is in.

hmmm... this is not always a good thing :D Fast may mean that it is not working.

We are running off a very cheap server so we have to keep in mind that you get what you pay for :D Maybe when we make money we can move to a snappy (quick SA server) :D

Glad to hear that you are happy.

Is there any way that one could track your total km traveled while caching, the same principal as TB's. I think that would be interesting.

Hmm.... Ja that would be a cool number to have! :blink:

# km's traveled/ 500 km per tank * 50 l per tank * (current cost of petrol) = cost of caching

We do not keep such data to be able to show the above and would have to get cachers to recapture caches in our system to be able to do this and obviously we dont want to do this.

Try to capture this in the general forum, I think there is a section there for changes to Geocaching.com.

Thanks QFC, Just a thought. Come to think of it someone in Gauteng can get 300 finds without having to drive 500km while someone like Wazat needs to travel 100km just to place one so that he can get a hide.

Looks like the only way to get to the top is to relocate or have a traveling job.

Another suggestion I have is to change the pointing system on hides where points are given to the size of the container. ie micro = 1 point and large container 10 points. That should level the playing ground between city slickers and way out places.

just another thought- use it dont use it.

keep up the good work

Am I really that lonely out here.... Hey I was going to hide one on the wall at my home that is only 30 meters away from where am sitting. 10 from the front door. I think what you mean is that I have to drive 100km to find one. Actually my last find was over 300km drive and it was in JHB. I drove past plenty while I was there but felt that most were either going to be risky, or time consuming. Time was not on my side nor was the better half.