Paperless Caching

Fort S

I am looking to go paperless and would like to get some feedback on pocket pc's and or iQue m5's as well as software to load cache listings.

Any suggestions/feeback welcome.

I am in the Richmond Hill area (north of Toronto) and would be interested in buying something used as well.

Thanks!

I am looking to go paperless and would like to get some feedback on pocket pc's and or iQue m5's as well as software to load cache listings.

Any suggestions/feeback welcome.

I am in the Richmond Hill area (north of Toronto) and would be interested in buying something used as well.

Thanks!

I use GSAK (www.gsak.net) on the PC and Cachemate (www.smittyware.com) on the PocketPC. Works great, and Cachemate is only $8. When I store the data on my SD card or Built-in storage, it even survives a device reset.

I know others use GPXSonar, but what I appreciate is the database engine in Cachemate - handles thousands of caches with reasonable response time.

I use a Palm PDA with the GSAK-Cachemate combination mentioned above. I started with this combination using an old Palm (Tungsten T3) that I replaced with a smartphone. Since I didn't want to risk damaging the smartphone when on the trails, the Palm was a great fit.

Unfortunately, I fried the Palm while caching in the rain. I didn't appreciate at the time how wet it got, and it didn't like that at all. But I really liked having it, so I went and bought a new one.

If you are not adverse to using a Palm (instead of Windows based Pocket PC), BestBuy online is selling refurbished Palm Tungsten E2 with a wireless keyboard at a great price. For an extra $30, you can get a 2 year extended warranty. And the E2 is still a supported product, so you can use it with Vista (still limited support though) and easily get accessories. I just got mine, and love it. This time, I just won't be using it unprotected when caching in the rain!

I used a Pocket PC and GPX Sonar.. but I may try one of the others listed here.

I have GSAK but only to open my pocket queries then export to MapSource for loading to my Garmin 60Csx.

After troubles loading from GSAK I just gave up and went to MapSource and have not had a problem since.

There are a lot of GSAK fans out there but honestly I have never figured out any of the features.. It needs a manual I guess.

Murfster

Interesting topic. I also use GSAK and I'm thinking of using CacheMate with my PDA (Sony Clié).

However right now I d/l many caches to GSAK and them copy and paste selected ones to my GPSi.

I'm fairly comfortable this way when I go geocaching. sometimes my unit holds about 50 caches and I'm ready to go anytime.

So...my question is, what would I gain with CacheMate?

I seem to have sufficient data on my GPSi and to carry with me an additional electronic unit would seem un-necessary.

Can those experienced users help me out please as to the benefits of using CacheMate & a PDA.

Thank you.

My wife already had an Ipod, which I thought was a pretty big waste of money until I figured out that you can store the details for 10's if not 100's of 1,000's caches on it. GSAK converts the file format & sends details of 500 caches in 10-15 seconds, they show up under >extras>contacts, listed alphabetically. We can use the Ipod all weekend for this purpose & it doesn't run the batteries down (which are built in & recharge when plugged into the puter or cigarette lighter socket). The Ipod might not be the *most* convenient, feature filled device to use, but we had one on hand & it works very well.

My wife already had an Ipod, which I thought was a pretty big waste of money until I figured out that you can store the details for 10's if not 100's of 1,000's caches on it.

Hi fastforty,

So from what I gather from your msg is that using CacheMate allows you to provide you with more details whilst you are on the go. Is that basically the reason to use Cachemate?

Cheers

So...my question is, what would I gain with CacheMate?

I use CacheMate for two things that I can't get from my GPSr. It gives the cache details page, the hints and past logs which can be very helpful on the field when you can't find that #!#$!%!#@ cache.

I also log my finds on my PDA. I may not put all the details in the Cachemate log, but I can easily mark the date and time of finds. Then I use a macro in GSAK which will go through the CacheMate logs and let me 'semi-automatically' enter those logs onto the GC.com site.

What it doesn't do is put map images in...I have been trying to work out some other solution for that (trying with Plucker) but haven't come up with a good solution. But that's OK because I don't miss having the maps that much.

I started with Palm way back when but have since switched to PPC. I was using GPX Sonar then switched to Cache-Mate but have switched to Beeline GPS since acquiring a bluetooth GPS. With the bluetooth GPS and Beeline's navigation mode it turns my PPC into a full fledged Cache machine.... All the caches, all the descriptions, hints and logs , a nifty mapping mode so I can see where the caches are relative to each other. If I forget the GPS or the batteries die.... who cares I can still cache til I drop. With Pocket Streets and Trips installed as well I might even be able to find my way home.... :)

I use pretty much the same combination. GSAK on PC and GPX Sonar on the PocketPC. I was using Cachemate on my old Sony Clie Palm. I also use pocket streets and maps on the PPC to help me see where the caches are in relation to each other. I find it helpful to know if there might be a highway or river between me and the cache. I have a Toshiba E series that I got at a great price on E-Bay. I get about 3-4 hours of always on battery life on the device, and the charger is the same for my PPC and my Magellan 500le so that's a bonus. 1 car charger, 2 devices!