New to this!

DavidWCFL

If you're going to start hiding, I'd suggest you look at this:

palmetto's profile page, your local cache reviewer, and of course the listing guidelines.

Way faster to read them then to ignore them, place a cache - learn it won't be published, go pick up the cache, place it somewhere else.

Have fun and welcome to the addiction!

Although he's moved from the area, there are still pazooter hides around Wesley Chapel. He hid some extra fun things. He won the Best New Hider award a few years back.

Read the guidelines before you place a cache.

Then read them again. I mean really read them.

Then when you check the box that says you read and understand them - it will mean that you actually do!! :laughing:

As for finding caches. Read the owners manual on how to use your GPSr and then plug in coords from a cache page and go have fun. I strongly recommend starting off with a regular sized cache that has a difficulty of no more than 2 stars.

...and because it whelps with finding as well - go read the guidelines linked above.

Welcome to the addiction!!!!

My advice is to look for as many different types of caches as you can. That way you'll know what you like and find ideas for your own caches. Try to find a couple dozen before hiding your first. That way you'll have abetter idea of what to do, and not do, based on what you've seen.

Have fun!

Referring to "Hiding a Cache"

Speaking as a new geocacher, who made a big mistake with first hide and succeeded with my second...

Do read all the above suggestions, they will save you, and your local admin a bit of hassle.

As well, cache outside of your area, this will help you get an overall idea of the local scene.

On our hide we got nice words from some experienced cachers, so we are glad that we waited, and researched before placing the second(more appropriate) cache.

Although us Newbies tend to be a bit more creative with our initial ideas for a cache...

Experience goes a long way towards cache longevity and appeal to the community.

I would also suggest getting to know a cacher or two that is willing to give you advice and chat with you a bit.

This was very helpful, it kept us from making some mistakes.

Also it helped that our local admin was very nice, and supportive, in spite of our carelessness first time around.

Referring to Finding a Cache.

Don't be afraid to try to tackle what might seem like a slightly difficult cache as well. We got our first and only FTF at night, on a new cache, that quite a few other "seasoned" cachers DNF'd on. Us newbies tend to think a little differently, so we tend to search and look at everything as a possible cache. This can allow you to find some caches, that many others may overlook.

Edited by MaplessInSeattle

Things to remember when caching......

1. It's a game. Have fun.

2. If you aren't having fun, go watch the game instead.

3. GPSr will always have about a 15-20 margin of error. Having to hunt is part of the fun.

4. Go back to #1 above.

Things to remember when hiding a cache.......

1. It's a game, you are not filming a Survivor episode. Use some sense when selecting hiding place. Centerline of 8 lane freeway not a good place. Neither are places where seekers will have to park dangerously or in the road.

2. Read and understand the guidelines.

3. Have fun. It's a game without hard, fast rules.

Oh yeah, did I say it? It's a game. Have fun. :(