Garmin Extrex Legend

The Booklady

i am new to geocaching, hoping to get a GPS shorlty.

After looking around I feel the yellow garmin extrex may be just a bit too basic and think that the Legend looks a likely candidate - I know it's not a top of the range model, but it seems to have a reasonable spec.

is this a good unit, or would you recommend something else?

i am new to geocaching, hoping to get a GPS shorlty.

After looking around I feel the yellow garmin extrex may be just a bit too basic and think that the Legend looks a likely candidate - I know it's not a top of the range model, but it seems to have a reasonable spec.

is this a good unit, or would you recommend something else?

We use the Legend and dont have any complaints so far. Its never let me down yet. I do however feel that the MapSource we have is not the best maps for it. I dont use the map section anyway, I use the GOTO bit which shows the co-ordinates and compass. This is really easy to use. I also bought the download cable and am able to download all my waypoints from the PC to the Legend. The later CX versions are in colour and have a faster chip installed, but hey you gotta start somewhere and where better than a Legend. You can always upgrade later if you want to.

Have you checked the "Multiple pnned topics" thread above? There you will find "Which GPS"

I have had a look and there is just so much stuff on there, but the most recent post is over 6 months ago and some are 3 years old! the useful is buried in chat and I haven't got time to read that many posts, so if anyone is able to s shed some light on my question I would be very greatful

(this is no criticism of the board, jus wanting to save myself time and my eyesight -_- )

Thanks in advance

Edited by The Booklady

Our first GPSr was/is a Legend (got it about 3 months ago). It has been VERY easy to use & every time I wish that it would do something else I just read the instructions again & find that it will do it. I think it has more features/options then I'll ever need.

I'm sure that units costing 2-3 times as much have a few features that may make organizing or accessing saved waypoints a little easier, but they aren't going to get you to your destination any faster or more accurately. I almost bought a yellow Megalon, but figured that the PC connection on the Legend *might* come in handy some day (boy was THAT the understatement). I can send 500 waypoints to my Legend via PC cable in less then 30 seconds; doing it manually, 15 digits for the coordinates + 6 for the waypoint code (or more for the waypoint name), 500 entries should get done in just about 5 hours, if you're really fast at operating a tiny little keyboard (not to mention that if you mis-key one digit you'll wind up miles from where you need to be).

The Legend has hot buttons that get you right to the screens that you need geocaching without having to scroll through multiple screens or menus, the whole setup is simple & easy to use but the machine has many options to customize it to work the way you want it to if you're not thrilled with the default setup.

If you don't want mapping (and being honest, how many people use the mapping for caching?) I'd recommend the 'H' version of the Yellow. It has increased sensitivity over the old model under trees and in urban areas with high buildings and reduced satellite visibility. I'm not sure if there is a 'H' version of the Legend yet but if you want mapping and a good starter model then that's a good one to go for.

speaking as a novice I presumed that the mapping would be useful, is that not the case?

Can anyone come up with a quick list of must have functions that you couldn't be with out, coz I am getting more confused!

it turns out that my hubbies friend works for Garmin, so he's going to try and see if we can get a discount (well you've gotta ask!!!)

speaking as a novice I presumed that the mapping would be useful, is that not the case?

Can anyone come up with a quick list of must have functions that you couldn't be with out, coz I am getting more confused!

it turns out that my hubbies friend works for Garmin, so he's going to try and see if we can get a discount (well you've gotta ask!!!)

The older Blue Legend comes with a pre-loaded 'base map' that is totally useless. It also only has 8Mb of user memory (non expandable) for downloading other maps so you would need to find a copy of Garmin's 'Roads and Recreation' software, long since deleted from their list, as this doesn't support Auto-Routing and you will be able to load a useful size chunk of the country into the available memory.

IMHO... the best of the eTrex range is the Legend HCx. This has the high sensitivity chip set, colour display and will accept a micro SD card. Not the cheapest at around £220 but it will do all you'll ever need for geocaching. Barometric altimeter and electronic compass are not necessary and are just a drain on the power supply.

I have got the old blue legend. The base mapping isn't great but I am an OS map addict anyway and usually have an OS map with me too, so I use it in conjunction with that.

I like the way it remembers the track you take, and the "trackback" facility - handy if you are exploring in mist etc and you just want to get back where you came from! It gives me loads of info like elevation, average speed, sunset time, etc.

I am not a techno buff at all, so it probably does stuff I don't understand but it does what I want and I have been very happy with it :laughing:

Edited by Rose_Thorn
The older Blue Legend comes with a pre-loaded 'base map' that is totally useless. It also only has 8Mb of user memory (non expandable) for downloading other maps so you would need to find a copy of Garmin's 'Roads and Recreation' software, long since deleted from their list, as this doesn't support Auto-Routing and you will be able to load a useful size chunk of the country into the available memory.

IMHO... the best of the eTrex range is the Legend HCx. This has the high sensitivity chip set, colour display and will accept a micro SD card. Not the cheapest at around £220 but it will do all you'll ever need for geocaching. Barometric altimeter and electronic compass are not necessary and are just a drain on the power supply.

what does the basemap do/show then? Is it for walking/driving? I also understood that with the legend, you can download from your pc, rather than pluggin waypoints in one at a time which certainly appeals???

£220 is just too much for me - I completely understand why I should get it, but at this early stage in the game I cannot justify that kind of money.

Hi Booklady, it seems that we are all (including me) giving you lots of advice about what to get but no-one is giving you the basics of how to use a GPS. So let me start the ball rolling by giving you a simple How to use a Garmin.

First I am not going to tell you all about it, that would take a while and really you will find that out when you get one. What I will tell you about is the simple GOTO function.

When you have a co-ordinate in the Garmin and you have gone to the Find Waypoints bit, you will then have a choice of functions. One if these is the GOTO function. On the screen will be the Co-ordinate and a compass and a countdown in miles, then yards, then feet. As you turn yourself towards the cache location the compass will turn and point to where you should travel. It will also reduce the miles and yards and feet the closer to the cache you get. Should you go past the cache, the feet / yards will increase so you know when you have gone past the cache. So with the aid of the compass and the mileage you can pinpoint a cache to within 10 to 20 feet. Then its up to you to look around for what looks like a suitable place to hide a cache. Thats where experience comes in. Right thats it really, and you will notice that not once did I refer to the map. If you plan your trips carefully beforehand you wont need a map. I hope you get a good deal with your friend who works for Garmin. Handy friend to have. Good luck

what does the basemap do/show then? Is it for walking/driving?

It's a very basic map and really doesn't give much info beyond position of large towns etc. You really need additional detailed mapping (Metroguide is what I used) to make much use of it which involves spending more money or going by less legal routes!

I also understood that with the legend, you can download from your pc, rather than pluggin waypoints in one at a time which certainly appeals???

You can do that with the Yellow also but the cable has to be purchased separately (unless they now come with the H version?)

£220 is just too much for me - I completely understand why I should get it, but at this early stage in the game I cannot justify that kind of money.

Then the yellow is your best option. If you go for the H version you should be able to sell it on if/when you decide to upgrade in the future. However, many prolific cachers have been using the yellow since they started and show no inclination to change it.

Always remember eBay as buying from recommended sellers could save you a lot of money

THANK YOU both for your advice - I will go for the yellow H, now I know a bit more about it, phew, I have been searching the web all day trying to find out what you've just told me!

I have been looking on ebay, there are plenty for sale, what surprises me is they don't seem to be cheaper if they are used ones :laughing: which seems odd, but hopefully it will mean if we do decide to upgrade then we will get most of our money back!

thank you again so much - as a newbie it would be very helpful to have this information in an easy to find location, as I am sure others will benefit too.

Right, now I know what I need, I'm off to find one!!

They're probably new ones on eBay, most of the stuff seems to be nowadays.

When you find one feel free to come back and check it out before you commit to buying :laughing:

Found one - from an ebay shop GPSonlineshop (2700+ positive feedback) £72, including data cable and postage!!

amazon have them for £65, but no cable, so it looks like a very competitive price!

ooooh, excited now!

I fully endorse the yellow etrex given the new H has the fancy chip to help you see in the dark - it even works indoors! If you end up loosing it (easily done) you'll be glad you went for the cheaper option. Also get a data cable, yes.

Here's a link to a UK seller (that advertise on www.geocaching.com so support our hobby) charging £65 for the H - link

Found one - from an ebay shop GPSonlineshop (2700+ positive feedback) £72, including data cable and postage!!

Have you a link?

Here's a link to a UK seller (that advertise on www.geocaching.com so support our hobby) charging £65 for the H - link

I've dealt with Handtec before and found them very easy and good to deal with but they don't sell the cable!

Seems a good deal to me. The cables seem to be in or around £10+ so that's a bit of a saving.

I knew the name was familiar to me but I actually bought a Legend off them a while back. I dealt with them offline and they discounted the usual eBay fee and also gave a further discount for buying two units at the one time. It's up to yourself how you deal with them but I found them very good (and they're UK based)

What he said, but I would say, look at the venture HCx. It's about £80 cheaper then the Legend HCx and also accepts a micro SD card and has colour display with mapping.

I would be happy to support the sponsor, but the ebayer is only £72 including postage and a data cable!

Here is a link

A follow upto this saga!!! If you do buy from this ebayer, please ring first to check the stock levels!! I used BIN on the site (there were 18 in stock) rang this morning as instructed to pay card by phone, only to be told they had none in stock (it is difficult to monitor stock levels apparently coz they have a shop and a website too :blink: ) However the item is still current and it still shows 17 available!!!

They will get them in on Friday, which for me isn't a big deal, however I was hoping to have got it tomorrow! So if you need this item quickly, ring first to be sure!!

Edited by The Booklady
We are new and bought the EtrexH and we love it, only problem is we have Mac computers so a cable wont work with it

Works for me on a Mac -but don't have an H- whats the differance?

email, if you need help re programmes and applications for Macs and caching...

G

the H signifies a better receiver (can't remember/don't know the correct terminology!) but basically it will be more reliable under trees and in built up areas -well that's the theory anyhoo!