Creating a "piggybank" cache

kifcog

I have a very modest collection of geocoins that I would like to activate, however I don't want all the hassle of having loads of coins listed in my inventory. Do people create caches and then immediately archive them just to virtually "store" all there coins or do they just put up with them in thier inventory.

Any other solutions would be appreciated!

I have a very modest collection of geocoins that I would like to activate, however I don't want all the hassle of having loads of coins listed in my inventory. Do people create caches and then immediately archive them just to virtually "store" all there coins or do they just put up with them in thier inventory.

Any other solutions would be appreciated!

You can create a cache without ever submitting it to the reviewer. That is what I have done for my coins. You just create a cache page, like normal, but uncheck the box to send it to the reviewer.

You could also use an archived cache that you already own for this purpose.

You can create a cache without ever submitting it to the reviewer. That is what I have done for my coins. You just create a cache page, like normal, but uncheck the box to send it to the reviewer.

This is exactly what I did, then, before I ever "pushed the button", I got this note from the reviewer :lol: (again, I had NOT sent it to the reviewer to activate it):

"Greetings. Will this one turn into a live cache at some point. If not, it can be archived and still accessed for your coin storage. As it is, it will keep showing up during admin proximity searches - not a huge issue but somewhat distracting. Thanks."

So apparently the computer at Groundspeak "finds" these caches :anicute: even before we "send" them in to be active... it looks like their search query engine includes caches that have never been activated but not those that have been archived.

So I archived it (I appreciate the work the reviewers do all voluntarily and would not want to put any more "hassle" into their job).

It no longer shows up at the top of my list of caches waiting to be reviewed, but it is still easily accessed simply by going to "my trackables" under my profile and clicking on the current location of any of my coins.

And yes, you can use this cache for picture storage as well (handy for images you want to post on the forums but don't want anywhere else).

Hope this helps everyone. -_-

Thanks for that tip about unpublished caches. I've got one of those just sitting there for my coins, and it always was (is) something of a distraction to me. I never realized it would be showing up elsewhere. I also like the idea of photos in those places. I might have to have an archived photo cache! -_-

This is exactly what I did, then, before I ever "pushed the button", I got this note from the reviewer -_- (again, I had NOT sent it to the reviewer to activate it):

"Greetings. Will this one turn into a live cache at some point. If not, it can be archived and still accessed for your coin storage. As it is, it will keep showing up during admin proximity searches - not a huge issue but somewhat distracting. Thanks."

So apparently the computer at Groundspeak "finds" these caches :anicute: even before we "send" them in to be active... it looks like their search query engine includes caches that have never been activated but not those that have been archived.

So I archived it (I appreciate the work the reviewers do all voluntarily and would not want to put any more "hassle" into their job).

It no longer shows up at the top of my list of caches waiting to be reviewed, but it is still easily accessed simply by going to "my trackables" under my profile and clicking on the current location of any of my coins.

And yes, you can use this cache for picture storage as well (handy for images you want to post on the forums but don't want anywhere else).

Hope this helps everyone. :lol:

This helps alot because I never knew this. I archived the cache page, so hopefully that helps.

I created a separate GC profile for my trackable collection for two main reasons:

• I wanted a clear distinction between collected coins and released coins of my own or coins of others I'd picked up as travelers.
  • I didn't want discovery logs going to my normal GC profile email.

GC.com should throw in a free year of premier membership for every say, 500 or 1000 coins you activate under one profile, save me a few bucks a year! :anicute::lol:-_-

So apparently the computer at Groundspeak "finds" these caches -_- even before we "send" them in to be active... it looks like their search query engine includes caches that have never been activated but not those that have been archived.

I know you can remove TBs from an archived cache but can you add them also? Yeah, it would make sense I guess. Our reviewer has never said anything about the unapproved caches I have sitting. One I use to upload photos for posting pictures on the forums and also for coin storage. Is it possible derschlings that you accidentally unchecked the box that says the reviewer will not see this cache unless you uncheck this box? I'll have to ask our reviewer. I wouldn't want to have something just sitting there that the reviewer has to see all the time. That would be annoying for them.

On a slightly related note - is there a faster method to retrieve all the coins we do drop in these unapproved caches?

Oh yeah - if we do mark it location unknown, is it just a simple click to bring it back into your inventory or do you have to go through the drop & grab routine? :anicute:

I created a separate GC profile for my trackable collection

GC.com should throw in a free year of premier membership for every say, 500 or 1000 coins you activate under one profile, save me a few bucks a year!

If all you are doing with the account is storing coins there, I can't think of a reason for it to be a premium membership

I created a separate GC profile for my trackable collection

GC.com should throw in a free year of premier membership for every say, 500 or 1000 coins you activate under one profile, save me a few bucks a year!

If all you are doing with the account is storing coins there, I can't think of a reason for it to be a premium membership

Oh, sorry, guess I should have been more clear....

I want the coins in my collection tracking account (which isn't a premier one) to fund my premier caching account! -_-

Edit to add: Although having a 2nd premier account would be nice when I'm heading out on vacation and want to run a ton of PQs in a short period of time.

Edited by dflye
I know you can remove TBs from an archived cache but can you add them also? Yeah, it would make sense I guess.

Oh yeah - if we do mark it location unknown, is it just a simple click to bring it back into your inventory or do you have to go through the drop & grab routine?

Any member can retrieve or grab a trackable from anywhere it happens to be, as long as they have the trackable code - that includes archived caches, unpublished caches, unknown location, active caches, and other members

You must be the cache owner to put a trackable into an un-published cache

(nobody but the owner has access to an un-published cache, and you must make a log to do a drop)

To move a trackable into "unknown location", you must be either -

1. the owner of the trackable

2. the owner of the cache in which the trackable currently resides

The same actions (retrieve/grab/drop) are used to manipulate the location of trackable items, no matter what the condition of the location - so, yes, if you want to get a trackable into your inventory, you need to retrieve or grab it from wherever you have it stored - archived cache, un-published cache, active cache, user inventory, unknown location

Edited by Bhob

If you put them in an unactivated cache or in an archived cache they will show up for a short period of time on the "state" pages as a recent geocoin moved.

I have seen these show up and think there is a new icon I could get only to find out it was just in a "geocoin vault". I think if you created a new name such as "Mr.Explorer3-vault" or something and held them under that name it would be easier and less confusing to others.

You must be a premium member in order to put a trackable into an archived cache

(because you have to access the cache page, in order to make a log so that you can do a "drop", and access to archived caches requires premium membership)

Not true. My son has a non-premium account and we can view and log archived cache pages just fine from his account.

But if you are creating a cache specifically for storage of photos or coins and you do archive it, remember that you will not be able to edit the listing any further, so please put in a valid description before you hit that archive button.

Ok, we both have tried to figure out how to move our coin to an unknown location and it has escaped us. We followed the instructions on the FAQ page with no success, we just don't see the option on our coin's page. Please help.

Where the drop down says recalculate mileage, drop it down and the next option is mark item missing. You have to be the owner of the coin to be able to do this.

Edited by Rockin Roddy
You must be a premium member in order to put a trackable into an archived cache
Not true. My son has a non-premium account and we can view and log archived cache pages just fine from his account.
My mistake - I don't know where I got that idea - I will change my original post

I always thought I had to deal with all the coins in my inventory and didn't know there was such a thing so I've just been dealing with it. I only log my travel bug (my coin books) into events to cut down on it, but my list still has all the coins regardless. Are there any drawbacks to having them in an archived cache, etc?

[

Where the drop down says recalculate mileage, drop it down and the next option is mark item missing. You have to be the owner of the coin to be able to do this.

Thank you, we were looking for something that said put in unknown location (or something similar), saw the mark as missing option and dismissed it. Will be very helpful when we are able to activate our other coins.

Thanks all,

I didn't want to mark any coins as missing becaus they wern't, I knew exacty where they are!

I now have a cache box that I will take with me to events, it's registered and archived, GC17ATA.

As you can see my Geocoin collection really IS modest (I haven't activated many coins yet) I'm hoping my collection will grow come christmas!!)

I have gone the unpublished cache route but it is not a particularly elegant solution. I recall Jeremy mentioning earlier in the year that there would be site enhancements designed specifically for collectors but I don't think anything has been launched yet. A way to designate "collected" coins versus travelers would be delightful.