Waypoints/Geocache data lost Garmin 60Csx

NDOkie

Today, my Garmin 60 Csx powered down on its own. It has done this once or twice before without any consequences. I simply turned the power back on and went about my business.

Today, the unit shut off (screen went black) as I was holding it in my hand. Unit powered up normally with the power switch just as soon as I noticed the unit was off. After power up, all waypoints and geocache data was gone. :rolleyes: City Navigator 2008 was fine. No other maps are installed. This unit has a 2 gb card. Batteries (alkaline) were fresh with less than 1 hour on them. Unit was not dropped or squeezed or otherwise damaged. The batteries and SD card were both properly in their place. Unit is <5 months old and has latest s/w 3.50.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this recently? What was the solution?

I am attempting to contact Garmin via website, but their customer support application is not working (again!). I'll have to call them next week.

Maps and POIs are stored on the card, but waypoints are stored on the unit's internal memory, so that may be the reason why you are seeing one and not the other.

Is it possible that all the waypoints on your unit are more than about 110 miles from your nearest location? I know that sounds far fetched, but if it happens to be so, and the unit has essentially rebooted, the default search mode for waypoints is Find Nearest, which only shows 50 waypoints nearest to you, and only those within about 110 miles. Its a long shot, but while you are waiting to call Garmin, try hitting MENU from the waypoint list and select .Find by Name

I did more research after posting my question and came across similar information about internal memory storing waypoints rather than the memory card.

I just tried your suggestion, but the only items in memory were stored after the unit blacked out. As you said, it was a long shot, but I hadn't thought of anything along those lines.

Thank you for the reply and the suggestion.