REI has Vista HCx for $219.99

Pacific NW

Here's one reason quoted here on Garmin's website.

"To obtain warranty service, an original or copy of the sales receipt from the original retailer is required. Online auction confirmations are not accepted for warranty verification, and Garmin will not replace missing components from any package purchased through an online auction."

Beyond the warranty thing, which I think you can get from some folks on ebay, it's just that there are so many sketchy operations on there. It's not if you'll have a problem, it's when. I use ebay for hard to find things, used things, old things, really cheap things, but I wouldn't buy a gps there. Just my personal preference - doubtless that many have had good experiences doing so. Mostly things go just fine, but if there's a problem, woe be unto you.

Another question - I JUST bought a vista hcx at REI like 72 hours ago. Will they rebate members for the lower cost? I figure that they won't but some vendors do that so I figured I'd ask. Not too worried about it, but it's worth checking into just the same.

Another question - I JUST bought a vista hcx at REI like 72 hours ago. Will they rebate members for the lower cost? I figure that they won't but some vendors do that so I figured I'd ask. Not too worried about it, but it's worth checking into just the same.

I was just at REI and asked about the sales price. They haven't seen the flier yet, so they couldn't confirm the sale. However, they told me that REI has a 30 day price-reduction guarantee. If the price drops within 30 days of your purchase, they will refund of the difference.

Edited by Xenox

Beyond the warranty thing, which I think you can get from some folks on ebay, it's just that there are so many sketchy operations on there. It's not if you'll have a problem, it's when. I use ebay for hard to find things, used things, old things, really cheap things, but I wouldn't buy a gps there. Just my personal preference - doubtless that many have had good experiences doing so. Mostly things go just fine, but if there's a problem, woe be unto you.

Thanks for the tip!

I'd definitely go with REI if the price is reasonably close. They have a 'satisfaction guaranteed' policy that can easily offset the price difference. A friend of mine got a Legend Cx some time back that developed intermittent problems from the vibration on his bike after it was past Garmin's warranty. Took it back to REI and they told him that not only would they replace it, but prices had dropped in the meantime so they gave him a new Vista Cx instead along with a refund for the price drop. He's also broken quite a few of the handlebar mounts and just keeps bringing them back to the customer service desk for free replacements. Needless to say, he's a very satisfied customer.

Ebay, like anywhere else requires common sense. These are the people I buy off and they do indeed give a full sales receipt, so it's all good with regards to warrantee.

I've bought 4 HCx's off them recently, (as well as a few 60CSx's) and it's been great hassle free service and speedy delivery. I'd rather avoid shops as they generally give very poor advice. So if you have to do all the research yourself, why pay a shop for service you aren't getting?

Ebay, like anywhere else requires common sense. These are the people I buy off and they do indeed give a full sales receipt, so it's all good with regards to warrantee.

I've bought 4 HCx's off them recently, (as well as a few 60CSx's) and it's been great hassle free service and speedy delivery. I'd rather avoid shops as they generally give very poor advice. So if you have to do all the research yourself, why pay a shop for service you aren't getting?

I've talked to some extremely knowledgeable people in REI. Some of the folks in the gps department don't know what they are talking about, but some most certainly do.

Of course there are good sellers on ebay - lots of them. That's the best part about forums like this... being able to identify them. It's worth noting that the shipping on some of those units you linked puts the cost way above what you'd be paying at the REI sale where you know you can count on good customer service.

Edited by OxygenDestroyer

I've talked to some extremely knowledgeable people in REI. Some of the folks in the gps department don't know what they are talking about, but some most certainly do.

Of course there are good sellers on ebay - lots of them. That's the best part about forums like this... being able to identify them. It's worth noting that the shipping on some of those units you linked puts the cost way above what you'd be paying at the REI sale where you know you can count on good customer service.

I believe that gallet is in Australia, so his shipping cost is going to be high no matter how you slice it.

FYI to REI consumers: I just learned something interesting yesterday. REI members typically get a 10% dividend on non-sale item purchases made at REI throughout the year. There is an REI Visa card, and the buyer gets the same 10% dividend at the end of the year on non-sale item purchases. Now the new part: as of May, an additional 5% dividend is applied to ALL purchases made at REI with their VISA card, including items on sale. For example, if you purchase the Vista HCX for $220 with the VISA, you will get a 5% dividend back (about $11) at the end of the year. If the item were regularly priced at $300, you would get a 15% dividend ($45) on the purchase made with the VISA card.

Five percent for all purchases, and 15% for non-sale item purchases. Not a bad deal.

Using the card makes the Vista go for an equivalent price of about $209. That's pretty hard to pass up. REI customer service is second to none, in my opinion, so I'd prefer to purchase from them. If there's any problem, I walk in and they will take care of it. I don't have to box it up and send it somewhere, and wait for a resolution.

I just ordered 3 of them, received my email confirmation already.

Watch amazon because in my experience their "free super saver shipping on this item" never pans out.

For shopping on ebay, I haven't found an authorized Garmin dealer, don't think they exist. I bought a Mantis tiller on ebay; guy said he was authorized. I called Mantis and asked them before I ordered. They knew all about him and confirmed it was okay to buy/warranty will be good. So that's a thought.

I telephone Rei regarding coupon that I had. They are not for use on GPS, among other items. www.flamingoworld.com was 15% off, so check that out too, with the visa card -- double check.

THere's a guy on ebay selling garmins and he has a 92% feedback. I would NEVER. At least 99% or I don't buy.

Rei's shipping was fair, too.

My wife and I were there the other day and found out about the sale but you need to buy additional software maps i was told. I personally am confused and was wondering if the software thats already loaded good enough for general use and cacheing?

Andre

The built in basemaps don't have very much detail - they'll just give you a taste of how the mapping features work. If you really want to use the mapping features, you'll eventually need to get one of the map products. In the meantime the unit will work just fine with the basemaps - it will be like having basic Etrex, only with a nicer screen plus a compass and altimeter.

Edited by oxothuk

My wife and I were there the other day and found out about the sale but you need to buy additional software maps i was told. I personally am confused and was wondering if the software thats already loaded good enough for general use and cacheing?

Andre

The built in basemaps don't have very much detail - they'll just give you a taste of how the mapping features work. If you really want to use the mapping features, you'll eventually need to get one of the map products. In the meantime the unit will work just fine with the basemaps - it will be like having basic Etrex, only with a nicer screen plus a compass and altimeter.

We currently have the emaps and are wanting a second better one and I think that the emaps just has the basic software. so we'll see

I believe that gallet is in Australia, so his shipping cost is going to be high no matter how you slice it.

Yeah, USD$40 to ship which puts the cost at AUD$285 landed, but 2 months ago it was AUD$330 landed due to the stronger greenback. But as the HCx is not on sale here yet and the Vista Cx is AUD$575 it's not too shabby.

Just saw REI's winter sale flyer and they've got the Garmin Vista HCx for $219.99 (reg. $299.95) from 11/16 to 11/25/07.

Thanks for this post and another about REI's sale. Got one ordered yesterday and should see it sometime next week! I'm looking forward to playing with it.

JohnTee

I picked one up at my local REI on Saturday and have been pretty pleased so far. I was worried about the odometer bug, so after updating the firmware to v2.40 I took a short stroll around the neighborhood yesterday carrying the Vista along with my old yelow etrex. I'm happy to say that both units showed 2.01 km as the distance traveled, and when I uploaded the tracks I got 2.0 km as the distance. The track on the Vista looked a lot smoother, though, and closer to the way the circuit I took appears on a street map; and no, I don't have any street map software, so it was not rubber-banding the track.

Close enough. I'll have to check again on my next hike in the mountains, where I'm usually walking a bit slower.

Edited by oxothuk

Does anyone know if the old software works/ (Heck of time to ask this <_< )

1. Metroguide USA 4.01

2. US Topo3.00

3. Roads and Recreation 3.00

Does the old Vista car lighter cable work witjh the new unit?

The software will work, the cable will not. The Vista HCX has only a USB port under the flap in the back and that is also how it is powered.

eef7b47e-c5b3-44ef-a3af-4f675c802481.jpg

Edited by Klatch

Does anyone know if the old software works/ (Heck of time to ask this <_< )

1. Metroguide USA 4.01

2. US Topo3.00

3. Roads and Recreation 3.00

Does the old Vista car lighter cable work witjh the new unit?

My "guess" is that the maps will work . . . I have an older version of Topo on my Vista HCx. Although to take advantage of the auto-routing feature, you will probably want to get City Navigator.

If you haven't done it already, you should download the latest Mapsource version from Garmin.

Just ordered one from REI by phone for 219.99. They're shipping 11/29 Don't forget to give them the special zip code of SHIP299. SHipping is $2.99 through 11/26 for orders over 150.00 No sales tax. http://www.rei.com/?cm_mmc=ps_google_reibr...d-_-REI-_-r.e.i.

Good shipping rate... the customer rep said that it is normally $9.99 and the tax still applies. I figure i could save the gas and spend the $2.99 on shipping. The return policy could be by mail or by taking it in to the store.

I don't know if this will push anyone else over the edge but there is an REI online stackable coupon for an additional $25 off a $100 or more purchase lowering the price to $194.

Enter the code WMPRT7 in the coupon code field at checkout. I was going to wait for the Triton but pulled the trigger on this one instead...

Edited by grimbasement

I don't know if this will push anyone else over the edge but there is an REI online stackable coupon for an additional $25 off a $100 or more purchase lowering the price to $194.

Enter the code WMPRT7 in the coupon code field at checkout. I was going to wait for the Triton but pulled the trigger on this one instead...

sweet... I'm loading the bullets to pull the trigger. The deal keeps getting better. It looks like I have to decide between the $2.99 shipping or the $25 off. The regular shipping is $11.99. Is the way to get both coupons to work? The total is $222.09 with the $25 off and looks like a better deal than the reduced shipping unless you want to pick it up. The store pick up price is $210.10 with the $25 off. The reduced shipping rate totaled up at $240.03 without the $25 off coupon.

Edited by bubnme

Thanks for that great $25 discount tip. I called REI back and although they already shipped they gave me the $25 discount as a credit to my credit card in addition to the 2.99 shipping that had already been applied. They normally allow only one or the other coupon but she was really nice. This brought my total cost to 197.98

When I told her that others may be interested in buying the unit, she suggested you call the 800-426-4840 number directly and ask the sales person if you can have both coupons.

What a nice company. ;)

Edited by Alan2

Would like to thank you for all the info. We just bought 2 in separate sales and got $25.00 off each. Came in at $206.98. As they are being posted to FL there was no tax. Will pick them up when we arrive. A great deal as they are not available in Australia yet. We also rang them about the postage for $2.99 but they wouldn't come at that. Still we are more than happy as we reckon we got 2 for the price of 1 out here. :P:D:)