Preferred PDA for Paperless Caching

Hi, i've gone through the faqs on this subject but frankly they are a bit messy and out of date. So please have patience with this post as the question probably comes up frequently.

I recently had my Tungsten C stolen and am now looking for the best solution to continue paperless caching.

I was very satisfied with the Tungsten for the following reasons.

1) Supported use of GSAK/Cachemate combo which I have found very usefull and easy

2) Supported an integrated keyboard.

3) Could sync with my corporate lotus notes calendar (although this will not be supported in the future by my company so I am resigned to abandon it)

4) Supported a relatively good english/german language dictionary.

5) used it to keep addresses/phone numbers and some other miscelaneous info.

Now that Palm has discontinued the PalmOS, what is the preferred PDA solution for continueing with GSAK/Cachemate for paperless caching. I want to buy new not used, and I don't need any additional fancy features like integrated mobile phone or gps. And I never found the wi-fi feature of the Tungsten to be particularly useful.

Thanks for your thoughts.

RitC.

What do you mean "Palm has discontinued the PalmOS" ??

The facts about the Palm OS history are here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_OS

I see my previous reading was premature. I lost the thread of the Palm OS story with the sale to ACCESS. After looking at some palm products, it basically looks like I can't get what I want without having the integrated phone. The Palm PDAs without the phone do not have the integrated keyboard.

I'm actually testing out my iPhone for paperless caching in urban environments. In the past I used a BlackBerry 8700 and it was the best so far!

I see that cachemate is not available for the iPhone. What solution do you use for paperless caching?

I've now narrowed down my requirements - my smart phone must :

1) Be tri-band

2) support voice activation

3) support bluetooth headphones

4) the last two for hands free telephony while driving

5) be able to support cachemate - this may rule out all but Palm devices, but none of the PalmOS devices seem to have voice activation that works with a bluetooth headphone. Maybe I need something other than cachemate to support my paperless caching.

6) sync with my e-mail client calendar.

I'm actually testing out my iPhone for paperless caching in urban environments. In the past I used a BlackBerry 8700 and it was the best so far!

I see that cachemate is not available for the iPhone. What solution do you use for paperless caching?

I sync GC's to my address book and the caches are parsed into individual contacts. Here is a quick video (OS X Centric) I did with my BlackBerry 8700. Same principal works on my iPhone.

Video:

iphoneCG.jpg

I can also download the PDF's and take them too!

Well, from my experience the Palm devices will work well for you, but you might also consider a Windows Mobile (5 or 6) device, although Cachemate does not support running on a windows mobile phone device.

I started paperless caching using a Palm tungsten T5, and my wife using a Zire 72. I started having serious memory problems with my T5, and the wife lost her Zire. I bought her a new TX and she started using her older T5 for caching. Since that time, she has started having problems with memory error on her T5 as well. When my T5 started acting up, I replaced it with an HP iPaq (Windows Mobile 5). It works great, although it is a bit slow loading the data in. CacheMate for PocketPC loads using GPX files, and it takes much longer to load (the T5 would load a 7000 record file in about a minute, and the HP needs closer to an hour). Once the data is loaded, there are many more features on the iPaq making me not want to go back to the Palm platform.

Both PDA platforms can sync to Lotus Notes, although it is often much easier using a third party tool. I like the fact that in a hurry, I can hook the iPaq to the web using a wireless router and download my pocket query and load it directly into Cachemate without pre-processing it in GSAK. I have only done this a few times, but it can be a savior when you are in a hurry.

Cachemate does not support running on a windows mobile phone device.

Interesting. I had sent off an e-mail to smittyware and got back a reply from Brain with a link to a section called "smartphones". This would seem to suggest that he is supporting windows mobile smartphones. What was your experience? Maybe you meant mobile phones which are not smartphones.

Interesting. I had sent off an e-mail to smittyware and got back a reply from Brain with a link to a section called "smartphones". This would seem to suggest that he is supporting windows mobile smartphones. What was your experience? Maybe you meant mobile phones which are not smartphones.

Why the negative, How about sharing the link to the smartphone data then we can all have it? please

TIA

John

Why the negative, How about sharing the link to the smartphone data then we can all have it? please

TIA

John

For those with a Q can get help here. Works great! GSAK