Creating non-requisite waypoints

MaplessInSeattle

The idea sprung from a post by another fellow newbie asking questions about looping a trail Link to comment.

My question is twofold:

1) Is it wrong to put in additional waypoints on a cache, that you would like the cacher to visit, perhaps little things you find interesting or intriguing about an area?

2) Would, or have you yourself visited any such points along a cache?

I'm asking because at the location of our future cache, there are many odd things about the area I would love to have others look at, but they are either too close to another cache/waypoint to list, or they just wouldn't do for a cache location anyway. However my wife and I have found them very interesting, and feel others may as well.

General consensus?

1) Is it wrong to put in additional waypoints on a cache, that you would like the cacher to visit, perhaps little things you find interesting or intriguing about an area?

Not at all. It's one of the reasons the additional waypoints feature was introduced.

If you are not hiding a container at the spot, you might be able to make that spot part of your multi. If it's just a sign to read or something to see to give you a clue to the next stage, it doesn't count anymore when figuring the .1 mile guideline.

2) Would, or have you yourself visited any such points along a cache?

If I have the time, certainly.

On this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a9-502ac4faa097

we actually do that to guide people to a waterfall.

And on this cache we found yesterday: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...28-a6dc01fcf195

the "other place" you are guided to is the remains of an opulent mansion that is spectacular and otherwise somewhat hidden. It took a simple micro in a park and made it a nice adventure! In many ways, it was the real "find".

Edited by HaLiJuSaPa

I think that's a wonderful thing to do. I guess I've never actually thought of doing something like that before, but I love it. -_- If people see it, they do, if they don't, they don't. But at least you've given them the option.

And, like briansnat said, you can use the question to answer or reference point for multis now, without hitting the proximity guideline. I love that for long distance multis, so you don't eat up all the good spots for regular caches. I have one of those in a 2 mile loop nature preserve. I have something like 9 stages altogether (including the final), and I don't have to worry that I'm taking the area away from other cachers. :anicute: