stealth

flys low

:rolleyes: SShhh...we can't talk about it :o

Seriously though, it's just good to be "stealthy" when finding a cache so the non-geocachers (muggles) around you don't know what you're up to. If people see you snooping around an area like you're looking for something, they may take a look after you leave and find the cache, and take it! Although if someone asks while I'm searching, I just explain geocaching to them.

:rolleyes: SShhh...we can't talk about it :o

Seriously though, it's just good to be "stealthy" when finding a cache so the non-geocachers (muggles) around you don't know what you're up to. If people see you snooping around an area like you're looking for something, they may take a look after you leave and find the cache, and take it! Although if someone asks while I'm searching, I just explain geocaching to them.

I wish someone would have explained GEOing to me a long time ago...

CoreynJoey are right on the money. It's largely for the safety of the cache. The more non-geocachers know about a cache the more likely it is that it will go missing.

In the another forum here there is a thread about a cacher who told a local resident about a cache when confronted, and that resident took the cache even though it wasn't on his property. Some people just don't want strangers wandering through their neighborhood looking for caches. There is also a segment who just like to spoil the fun of others.

It's not that we are secretive about geocaching. We aren't. Most geocachers will gladly spread the word about our sport when asked. But we are secretive about geocaches.

I wish someone would have explained GEOing to me a long time ago...

Well, now that you're onto us, you could print some of these to carry around in case you're approached:

http://www.geocacher-u.com/resources/brochure.html

I find that they're a great resource! And it adds much to the legitimacy of your presence if the cops show up, too.

Myself I use the afore mentioned cards. I cache along the Mexican Boarder.........on one recent trip I did 5 caches.......and was questioned by 4 different Boarder Patrol Officers.......I expalined what I was doing as well as giving them a card. Also I find them useful when some ask you what your doing....your answer is caching and you get that blank stare....hand them a card......... :rolleyes: