Would Anyone Mind...?

tabulator32

Would it be alright if I started my own little impromptu contest right here in the forums?

If I were to offer, say...$50 as a prize for the most innovative idea involving the use of solar power (either solar photovoltaic or solar thermal) in the design of a geocache? It can be an existing cache or you can create a new one but it must be implemented and approved by the reviewers as an actual geocache.

What am I talking about? Lets say you create a geocache using one of those little 12 volt dash-board solar panels you can get on E-bay for $10 and, with a little creativity, your geocache uses the solar panel (and perhaps a little battery so it works at night as well).

The cacher with the most ingenious design that actually builds, hides and gets approval for their solar-powered geocache by January 15th, 2008 wins $50.00 When announced, the winner can provide a mailing address (no PO boxes) or a Paypal account and I'll send them the prize money.

Perhaps the moderators would care to help me in judging the designs?

What do you think? Is that acceptable? Groundspeak? (If I'm overstepping some rule, I apologize in advance.)

(If a moderator comes out and says "no" or this message gets deleted, the contest is off.) :laughing:

The purpose of the contest is to promote education of solar electricity and some creative thinking.

I got fifty bucks! Ya got any ideas?!

:)

Would it be alright if I started my own little impromptu contest right here in the forums?

If I were to offer, say...$50 as a prize for the most innovative idea involving the use of solar power (either solar photovoltaic or solar thermal) in the design of a geocache? It can be an existing cache or you can create a new one but it must be implemented and approved by the reviewers as an actual geocache.

What am I talking about? Lets say you create a geocache using one of those little 12 volt dash-board solar panels you can get on E-bay for $10 and, with a little creativity, your geocache uses the solar panel (and perhaps a little battery so it works at night as well).

The cacher with the most ingenious design that actually builds, hides and gets approval for their solar-powered geocache by January 15th, 2008 wins $50.00 When announced, the winner can provide a mailing address (no PO boxes) or a Paypal account and I'll send them the prize money.

What do you think? Is that acceptable? Groundspeak? (If I'm overstepping some rule, I apologize in advance.)

(If a moderator comes out and says "no" or this message gets deleted, the contest is off.) :laughing:

The purpose of the contest is to promote education of solar electricity and some creative thinking.

Combining our favourite past time with ecology and the idea of saving what's left of our planet sounds like a great idea to me! I have now idea what could be wrong with your idea other than state or provincial rules governing cash prizes and a whole lot of red tape in some jurisdictions, so I will withhold judgment on the final outcome of your idea until it is further researched.

Hmmmm.... I must confess... I got a bit carried away with designing a cache based on solar power, and..

I ended up designing and building a Star Gate type-device which is preset to transport the user to a spot on a habitable planet much like earth and 55,000 years in the past. If you leave the portal at the other end and walk just 140 feet straight ahead into the canyon which you will find there, toward the copper-tinted black wall, you will find the cache container in the small cave to be found there. Once you have signed the log, you walk back to the still-open Star Gate portal (the portal stays open for 20 minutes after you exited it) and whoosh, you are transported back to your starting point on earth. The Star Gate device, located in a wilderness area, is entirely powered by 34 solar panels and a small array of lead-acid gel storage batteries.

The only downside is that the entire project cost me $120,000 to build. Could you please raise the amount of the prize from $50 to about $200,000 to cover my costs and still have a bit left over for my efforts? Thanks!

Just curious, why no PO boxes? Prize money can be delivered to those by the post office just as easy.

I am truly AMAZED that you had to ask this question! Duh... As a regular forum participant, HOW can you be totally clueless and IGNORANT of the well-known fact that post office boxes are favored hideaways for renegade outlaw radioactive black belt ninja hamsters, and thus, both the FBI and the Secret Service recommend that you NEVER send any money to post office boxes because you will likely end up unwittingly funding these renegade hooligans.

Hmmmm.... I must confess... I got a bit carried away with designing a cache based on solar power, and..

I ended up designing and building a Star Gate type-device which is preset to transport the user to a spot on a habitable planet much like earth and 55,000 years in the past. If you leave the portal at the other end and walk just 140 feet straight ahead into the canyon which you will find there, toward the copper-tinted black wall, you will find the cache container in the small cave to be found there. Once you have signed the log, you walk back to the still-open Star Gate portal (the portal stays open for 20 minutes after you exited it) and whoosh, you are transported back to your starting point on earth. The Star Gate device, located in a wilderness area, is entirely powered by 34 solar panels and a small array of lead-acid gel storage batteries.

The only downside is that the entire project cost me $120,000 to build. Could you please raise the amount of the prize from $50 to about $200,000 to cover my costs and still have a bit left over for my efforts? Thanks!

Oh man, this is like reading about a cache I made, that was almost exactly the same!!! That's so weird. The only difference is instead of a stargate, mine was a series of 5 solar charged battery powered LEDs that led you to the cache in the woods at night. Well, one LED, I never got the others to work, but it was cool. I mean, it would have been cool if I'd published it, it's still in my garage on a shelf. But other than the stargate thing ours are so close to being the same.

And mine was a little cheaper. I think I spent about a buck oh five on the electronics at a Radio Shack sale.

It would cost a lot more then 50 bucks to build what I have in mind, plus I have no Idea how to do the electrical wiring needed to run it. It would be a hoot though. This cache would be done at night.

Flashing L.E.D. lights after you push a button that says do not push and then a loud compressed air explosion from a spot near by in the trees goes off, the ghostly shadow that goes whizzing by at 15 miles an hour 10 feet in front of you that smells like it just came from the sewer, sprayed by a skunk, pooped on by 10 cows that have eaten bad corn, and don't forger the dear in heat pee. I can smell it already.

By this time I don't think it would matter how great the system works, no one would stick around to check it out. They would need to go home and change there pants

Just curious, why no PO boxes? Prize money can be delivered to those by the post office just as easy.

The "no PO boxes" rule is just to protect myself. If I send the prize money in the mail, I will send it so that it will require a signature, and most PO boxes don't have opposable thumbs or know how to write.

:laughing:

It would cost a lot more then 50 bucks to build what I have in mind

I'm not saying you have to limit what you SPEND on the project. You just aren't going to win any more than fifty bucks if you win the contest. Even if you didn't break even money-wise, you would still be the proud owner of an awesome cache. :laughing:

I have no Idea how to do the electrical wiring needed to run it.

I have to say, part of the fun of this project would be learning what its all about. I know that any solar project of mine would have, at a a minimum, a panel, a battery, and a charge controller to prevent overcharging the battery and over-draining the battery. small deep cycle batteries batteries and charge controllers can be found in many places and websites (again, check Ebay) for $20 or less.

Having said that, remember, even the smallest of solar panels and batteries involve dealing with electricity and any amount of electricity has the potential to be hazardous if not carefully handled and respected.

I would say you would have no more of a chance of injury than you would handling a regular nine volt battery, however, we have all heard some story at one time or another about someone who got hurt messing with a nine volt battery, haven't we?

:):D

Anyway, I look forward to seeing what comes of this!

:D

I have no interest in judging a competition because I lack the skills or interest to fairly evaluate a solar powered cache. Give me an ammo box or a Bison capsule or a lock 'n lock and I am happy. Add in math or science and I run away screaming.

I suppose there is no basis to disallow the contest, given the precedent set in the Geocoin Discussions forum. The contest doesn't appear to be promoting a commercial venture, and there's no entry fee. (You don't sell solar panels for a living, do you?)

I have no interest in judging a competition because I lack the skills or interest to fairly evaluate a solar powered cache. Give me an ammo box or a Bison capsule or a lock 'n lock and I am happy. Add in math or science and I run away screaming.

I suppose there is no basis to disallow the contest, given the precedent set in the Geocoin Discussions forum. The contest doesn't appear to be promoting a commercial venture, and there's no entry fee. (You don't sell solar panels for a living, do you?)

I do not have any affiliation with any solar panel manufacturer, installation company or service company related to solar. In the interest of complete disclosure and honesty, I am in the process of incorporating a non-profit organization to advocate the use and advantages of solar energy. The organization is not intended to promote any particular brand or company of any type.

Please let me know if you have any other questions. I will be glad to answer! :laughing:

Would solar pannels deliver enough shock to zap a cacher for choosing the wrong ammo box? I mean, 3 stumps, 3 boxes, but only one is the correct one, so choose carefully.

I think THAT design concept would eliminate you from the competition on the premise that your cache would never receive approval from the cache approvers. Kudos for creativity, though!

The "no PO boxes" rule is just to protect myself. If I send the prize money in the mail, I will send it so that it will require a signature, and most PO boxes don't have opposable thumbs or know how to write.

Off-topic: You are disqualifying cachers who live in rural areas, where their only option for mailing address is a PO box. (No rural mail delivery.) I have good caching friends who have been frustrated by the "no PO addresses" before; feels to them like discrimination when they don't have a choice. My two examples: Winthrop, WA, and Estancia, NM. Like most rural residents, they make arrangements to go in and sign for packages and other items.

On topic: Ok, neither is likely to compete in this competition, but sounds interesting, and good luck with it!

Edited by hydnsek

Off-topic: You are disqualifying cachers who live in rural areas, where their only option for mailing address is a PO box. (No rural mail delivery.) I have good caching friends who have been frustrated by the "no PO addresses" before; feels to them like discrimination when they don't have a choice. My two examples: Winthrop, WA, and Estancia, NM. Like most rural residents, they make arrangements to go in and sign for packages and other items.

On topic: Ok, neither is likely to compete in this competition, but sounds interesting, and good luck with it!

You are also eliminating cachers that happen to live too close to their Post Office. My house is 400 feet or so from my PO. As it turns out, the USPS will not deliver mail to an address that is within 1/2 mile of the PO that serves them.

BTW, you could send it registered. Even us slobs with PO boxes have to sign for registered mail before we can get it.

Would solar pannels deliver enough shock to zap a cacher for choosing the wrong ammo box? I mean, 3 stumps, 3 boxes, but only one is the correct one, so choose carefully.

With a capacitor and enough charging time, it could, I suppose. It'd sure be a shame to short out somebody's pacemaker, though. Even people with bad hearts hate DNFs.

Just curious. Of your over 2,000 posts, have you ever posted anything that was vaguely sane. :laughing::)

Obviously you've never used a PO box. If you send sig-required mail to a PO box, the box user receives a notice in the box, takes the notice to a PO employee at the counter, signs and receives mail.

All in all, the PO box route is quite a bit safer. To get the notice, the recipient has to use the PO box key -- a physical security token. Then he/she has to sign at a PO counter where there are probably security cameras. OTOH, when delivering to a door, anyone can sign for it, no ID requested, unless you pay for "recipient only" signature, and there's no witness except the mail carrier.

There are two reasons (that I know of) that you see "no PO boxes". One is from merchants who use a limited range of shippers which does not include the USPS. The other is in cases where the sender is concerned about identity, for example worried that a thief might intercept the communication, direct a payment to a PO box, and disappear into thin air. Neither applies in this case -- if you get email via gc.com from the logged-on user, that's good enough. Might not be good enough for $50,000 but it's good enough for $50.

However, for those concerned about discrimination, note that the OP did also offer to send the prize by PayPal.

Edward (who lived in a rural area for about 20 years)

Obviously you've never used a PO box. If you send sig-required mail to a PO box, the box user receives a notice in the box, takes the notice to a PO employee at the counter, signs and receives mail.

Ok. After considering your posts, I suppose you are right. There is no reason I shouldn't allow PO Boxes. The prize will be registered and, should the winner utilize a PO Box, they will just have to be certain to pick up their prize when the PO Box emporium is open for business and has personnel behind the counter.

(I did use PO Boxes but it was years ago. At first, they wouldn't sign for packages and certified mail. Even after they started signing for stuff, I still was only able to check my PO box after hours and would have literally had to use vacation time from work to get out during business hours to pick up a signed package. Like I said, its been a while. Anyway...)

Thanks to everyone for setting me straight on P.O. boxes.

So...I look forward to seeing what ensues between now and the contest deadline!

:rolleyes:

Off-topic: You are disqualifying cachers who live in rural areas, where their only option for mailing address is a PO box.

And military members living overseas, fwiw.

Military overseas don't use PO boxes, they use FPO's and I have no problem with sending it to an FPO.

(ex-military)

(As mentioned above, I will also send via Paypal or even find another alternative the winner is willing to accept.)

Edited by tabulator32

$50 as prize money is nothing. I doubt it would cover the costs. If you want this to really be a contest you are going to have to at least quintuple it so the winner actually makes money on the deal.

Like I said,

1. The prize money isn't intended to try to cover all your costs. Its just $50 towards your project that some people may have wanted to build anyway and now they have a little cash incentive to get them motivated. Its just a prize, not cost compensation. It may not be worth it to you to enter the contest. That's fine. I hope you enjoy seeing how the contest progresses in the forums.

2. It doesn't have to be an outrageous project with a 200 watt panel and a forklift battery. I can make a solar cache for less than $50 bucks and it would be fun. Granted, it might not be as interesting or creative as what can be done with, say, $100 or something, but it would still be fun.

Let me add a disclaimer for this contest: The prize money is not intended to make you rich. It may not even allow you to break even on your investment (although it may, if you are so motivated) and you should not rely on the prize to compensate you as there is no guaranty that any particular individual will win.

Having said that, I hope the individuals who choose to participate will have fun with it and make some cool caches for the rest of us to find. One of those individuals will get fifty bucks.

Nothing outrageous...just fifty bucks.

Off-topic: You are disqualifying cachers who live in rural areas, where their only option for mailing address is a PO box.

And military members living overseas, fwiw.

And whole towns that have no mail delivery except for PO Boxes.....I live in Page, AZ. = nothing but PO Boxes. And Yes, we get a slip in the box...take it up to a special window to sign and receive our packages or special letters.

Could it be that your reason for wanting physical addresses is for another purpose? If so, you can get those easily enough by using your computer to find all sorts of info on almost anyone. It seems that almost no one has anything that stays 'private' anymore.

If you really want to hold a fair and legit contest, do not put such restrictions on it from the start, as it makes people either angry or suspicious. Let people give their input on ideas to make the contest better, hash it around, give a time period to give suggestions about the contest. You will receive many great ideas. Then let everyone decide on someone to be the judge and someone to be the scorekeeper. Then let everyone help decide on the length of the contest, end date.

Good luck.

Shirley~

And whole towns that have no mail delivery except for PO Boxes.....I live in Page, AZ. = nothing but PO Boxes. And Yes, we get a slip in the box...take it up to a special window to sign and receive our packages or special letters.

I believe I have already resolved this by changing my mind about the PO boxes and apologizing once I understood .

Could it be that your reason for wanting physical addresses is for another purpose? If so, you can get those easily enough by using your computer to find all sorts of info on almost anyone. It seems that almost no one has anything that stays 'private' anymore.

Whether YOU believe it or not, I'm not a scam artist and I have no interest in anyone's address or what can be done with it. If you don't trust me, that's your concern. I am a fair and honest person and I live my life without regret for my actions. No hard feelings, just responding to your comment.

If you really want to hold a fair and legit contest, do not put such restrictions on it from the start, as it makes people either angry or suspicious. Let people give their input on ideas to make the contest better, hash it around, give a time period to give suggestions about the contest. You will receive many great ideas. Then let everyone decide on someone to be the judge and someone to be the scorekeeper. Then let everyone help decide on the length of the contest, end date.

Again, this is a moot point. Problem resolved...PO boxes allowed. Sorry for my earlier confusion. As far as a "scorekeeper" is concerned, I don't know of any point system to evaluate the entries. As far as I am concerned, I'm providing the prize(s) so, I'm the judge. I have also invited any of the forum moderators who would care to participate in judging the entries. Keystone has already declared he has no interest in judging the contest (thanks for your response, Keystone) and I have not seen any other responses from moderators concerning their participation. It will certainly be their choice as to whether they would choose an entry to win.

Thanks for your comments and I appreciate your input.

Good luck.

Shirley~

Edited by tabulator32
$50 as prize money is nothing. I doubt it would cover the costs. If you want this to really be a contest you are going to have to at least quintuple it so the winner actually makes money on the deal.
Since the cache in question has to be in place to win, and then has to actually win out over all the other entries, I would suggest that anyone trying to break even on this project better either have a super-cheap idea, or just sit back and watch.

This is a case where if you aren't in first place you're in last. :rolleyes:

It's not my idea, but I've been tasked with implementation. I'm not at liberty to discuss it more than to say it will be part of a massive night cache with puzzles. (Sissy and I have beta-tested some of the stages and I'm impressed with the design skills and ingenuity of the creator.) My part is designing a couple of stages which require you to be there at night--these simply will not operate during the day.

But, in my research I've discovered some electronics that allow for massive flexibility in operation, triggering, and delivery of clues and directions. It's pretty cool.

...and secret for now.

It's not my idea, but I've been tasked with implementation. I'm not at liberty to discuss it more than to say it will be part of a massive night cache with puzzles. (Sissy and I have beta-tested some of the stages and I'm impressed with the design skills and ingenuity of the creator.) My part is designing a couple of stages which require you to be there at night--these simply will not operate during the day.

But, in my research I've discovered some electronics that allow for massive flexibility in operation, triggering, and delivery of clues and directions. It's pretty cool.

...and secret for now.

This sounds intriguing! I look forward to seeing it.

I have been a lurker on this topic mainly because I don't have a very creative mind to think this sort of stuff up....but some of the posts to this topic has inspired me to come out and say something.

tabulator32 is forking out $50 of THEIR money to promote more quality caches in the vast playing field out there for the game we call Geocaching. Now I think that is FANTASTIC! Whether or not it is going to make the winner rich or put a dent in the expense that went into making this QUALITY cache, money is being offered to promote quality caches. I really don't see what we should be complaining about. Even if the reward was $5, I think it would be very generous of the person running the challange.

Thank you so much for this super cool contest tabulator32! And I hope that I run into some of these original/unique caches someday.....because I really enjoy finding them! They put a smile on my face, a spring in my step, and the joy and satisfaction of a job well done!

I have been a lurker on this topic mainly because I don't have a very creative mind to think this sort of stuff up....but some of the posts to this topic has inspired me to come out and say something.

tabulator32 is forking out $50 of THEIR money to promote more quality caches in the vast playing field out there for the game we call Geocaching. Now I think that is FANTASTIC! Whether or not it is going to make the winner rich or put a dent in the expense that went into making this QUALITY cache, money is being offered to promote quality caches. I really don't see what we should be complaining about. Even if the reward was $5, I think it would be very generous of the person running the challange.

Thank you so much for this super cool contest tabulator32! And I hope that I run into some of these original/unique caches someday.....because I really enjoy finding them! They put a smile on my face, a spring in my step, and the joy and satisfaction of a job well done!

I agree. Some of the ideas presented are very regional in nature, but this forum is national. It certainly can spark a few higher end caches. I also say kudos!

Thank you for saying as much, Nate!

I look forward to seeing the creativity of anyone interested in participating and, hopefully, one or more of these creations will be close enough I can get to them and log them.

I'll keep checking back to see what has been added in the way of solar geocaches!

Thanks in advance to everyone who is inspired to participate!

there is this one that has been around for a while.

you stand at a post and a voice counts down as you pace into the trees until it gets to zero, that's where the cache is.

THAT's pretty cool!

I'm curious, how does one know how big a pace to step?

Does the recording say?

the actual recording is on a constant loop. solar powered up a tall post. it's part of a "sculpture trail" or modern art type sculptures that are in a wood.

the cacher has just utilised the sculpture to place the cache. no info given as regards how big a pace just use your best guess. (it's actually average pace, my other half is normal sized, not 6'7'' like me, and her paces were spot on.)

If you send something to a P.O. Box that requires a sig they will put a card in the box letting you know you have something you need to pickup.

I am truly AMAZED that you had to ask this question! Duh... As a regular forum participant, HOW can you be totally clueless and IGNORANT of the well-known fact that post office boxes are favored hideaways for renegade outlaw radioactive black belt ninja hamsters, and thus, both the FBI and the Secret Service recommend that you NEVER send any money to post office boxes because you will likely end up unwittingly funding these renegade hooligans.

You forgot about the rougue pineapples that used to work for the NSA. The kick butt with thire leaves of death.

~.~Scare Force One

Random thoughts... A solar panel could be used to:

- power a circuit

- trigger/switch something with a different power source

Aha... random idea.

I have seen a few 'combination lock' caches, or cache containers attached to posts. How about the "Urban Sunset" cache.

Cache container is a box with a battery inside, an electronic timer, and a small solar panel placed out of reach or somewhere not necessarily easy to access (run up a power pole?) When there is not enough light for the solar panel, it triggers the switch allowing the cache to be opened for a pre-determined amount of time. After an amount of time, the lock re-engages.

I'd be afraid such a cache would get stolen and wouldn't bother.

This contest has a HUGE upside and I think it is a GREAT idea. If you can get one person to put a little more thought and planning into a cache or curtail a small portion of the gravitation towards the quick and easy 15 minute hide... you've done your part for the Geocaching Community as a whole. In fact.. I'd be willing to double the prize money as long as you don't have a PO box. :unsure:

Just a suggestion, if you have a Pay Pal account, that is the fastest and most secure way to transfer money. When you get the contest off the ground, please contact me and I will send the funds.

All I can say is AMEN to this.

...I'd be willing to double the prize money... When you get the contest off the ground, please contact me and I will send the funds.
Did I read that correctly? Is TGB offering to up the prize to $100?

If I read that right, that's pretty cool!

Well, the extra $50 is pretty cool, but I'm actually referring to his being willing to contribute!

I just received a message from Team GeoBlast and he is very sincere in his offer to double the jackpot.

The prize is now at $100.00

Bring on the entries!

To submit an entry, simply post a message in this thread with a link to your APPROVED, solar-powered cache.

In order to win the prize money, it has to be YOUR own cache, not one you found online or heard about from a friend. It can be a new cache or a pre-existing one but it HAS to be solar powered in some way.

(This is starting to get good!)

Remember: the deadline for entries is midnight on January 15th, 2008.

:unsure: