Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Renegade Knight

How Long Before A GPS Will Do this?

I was in Salt Lake City on some business and had a little time but no Pocket Query. I found myself wishing that my GPS could just bypass all the PQ's and downlaod caches directly based on my location.

I'd fire up my GPS, then when it has a lock tell it to find what's close. The GPS would poll the cache server and download caches based on my preferences. From there I'd pick out the ones that sound fun based on ther description. No PDA, No PQ just a GPS some time and fun. It wouldn't hurt if it did the same thing with maps.

This seems simple enough, and the technology is there to allow it. How long do we need to wait?

This seems simple enough, and the technology is there to allow it. How long do we need to wait?

Realistically, when there are 376,000,000 people willing to spend a couple hundred bucks on it, or when there are 5,000,000 people willing to spend $1000 on it :laughing:

Nobody makes anything that they won't get rich selling :)

We already have this capability. And I can make phone calls on my GPSr as well :blink:

too bad it's not compatible with Verizon Wireless yet :blink: I am using the VZ Navigator for driving but there are no GPS features other than you can have it tell you where you currently are.

:santa: I too use verizon, and my phone died today. I was looking into the phones that will support Geocache Navigator, but I need a phone now so I am sticking with verizon. :santa:

I then thought I might get the phone with web access so i can look up my location, I already know from my GPS reciever, on geocaching.com. So I tested the new voyager model in the store but I had a lot of trouble viewing the website and I wasn't getting any assistance. I think I am just going to get whatever cheap phone is available and look forward to a good internet accessing phone in the next couple of years. Maybe the geocache navigator will have improvements by then too, even though it looks awesome already!

:lol: I too use verizon, and my phone died today. I was looking into the phones that will support Geocache Navigator, but I need a phone now so I am sticking with verizon. :laughing:

I then thought I might get the phone with web access so i can look up my location, I already know from my GPS reciever, on geocaching.com. So I tested the new voyager model in the store but I had a lot of trouble viewing the website and I wasn't getting any assistance. I think I am just going to get whatever cheap phone is available and look forward to a good internet accessing phone in the next couple of years. Maybe the geocache navigator will have improvements by then too, even though it looks awesome already!

Hopefully this announcement means Geocache Navigator will soon be allowed on Verizon!

http://news.vzw.com/news/2007/11/pr2007-11-27.html