60Cx questions

hayndog

Just upgraded from the old yeller Etrex to the GPSMAP 60Cx. I have a few questions if I might.

1. In the description field of the GPS'r I believe that I can hold 88 characters, on GSAK I put the following in to the Waypoint Description Format field exactly as shown here %c_name%c_type%con%des%dif1%ter1. I am getting VERY limited information back in the description field, am I doing something wrong.

2. Yesterday, the day I got the unit, I quickly dowloaded Trip and Waypoint Manager the created a route by dragging along I-94 to Chicago. Is there a way to import info from mapblast, google earth, or some other such program. Also I started following the route and minor state roads were visible on the screen, on the way home and since then I have been unable to make the smaller state roads show up, am I doing something wrong here as well.

3. Is there any way to get more map detail without buying City Navigator?

4. The manual says that I can store 1000 waypoints, can I store more than that on the SD card or is that specifically for map detail. If I can store the info on the card is there a quick description of how this is done.

5. I know your saying read the manual, I did and some of these things aren't real clear.

6. If anyone has any other tricks up there sleeve about this unit I would appreciate any and all info you can give.

Thank you

1. to get the 88k you would have to make it a custom POI (Ive never done it, so I dont know how)

2. It would depend on the type file is created. (never tried this ether)

3. Maybe, if you want to autoroute no, if you want streets/topo there are free stuff out there, not sure if there is any for your area though. You could always befriend someone who has garmin topo or metroguide.

4. Yes, if in the form of POI's

5. you read the manual? common, guys dont do that.

Edited by QuigleyJones

Just upgraded from the old yeller Etrex to the GPSMAP 60Cx. I have a few questions if I might.

1. In the description field of the GPS'r I believe that I can hold 88 characters, on GSAK I put the following in to the Waypoint Description Format field exactly as shown here %c_name%c_type%con%des%dif1%ter1. I am getting VERY limited information back in the description field, am I doing something wrong.

Don't know, I don't use gsak

2. Yesterday, the day I got the unit, I quickly dowloaded Trip and Waypoint Manager the created a route by dragging along I-94 to Chicago. Is there a way to import info from mapblast, google earth, or some other such program. Also I started following the route and minor state roads were visible on the screen, on the way home and since then I have been unable to make the smaller state roads show up, am I doing something wrong here as well.

You can import waypoints and routes from some programs, but I just use mapsource. Sound like you are just using the base map which is very limited.

3. Is there any way to get more map detail without buying City Navigator?

Other than selecting map>details>most; you really need some version of Garmins Mapsource maps.

4. The manual says that I can store 1000 waypoints, can I store more than that on the SD card or is that specifically for map detail. If I can store the info on the card is there a quick description of how this is done.

Yes, 1000 waypoints; or you can download Garmins POI loader and load up your own poi's on the card, as many as the card will allow. These can be caches downloaded from the site, or created by you, but they will show and act as POI's. However once you select one to goto you can save it over as a waypoint to the unit and it becomes the same as other waypoints. I use easygps to open a zipped pocket query, and then save those waypoints in that one file into my poi folder and load it with the poi loader. If you name that file something like "north" and another file as "south" these will show as seperate databases in the poi menu.

5. I know your saying read the manual, I did and some of these things aren't real clear.

The manuals are lacking in much.

6. If anyone has any other tricks up there sleeve about this unit I would appreciate any and all info you can give.

Thank you

It's late, hope that all made sense.

hayndog, the manner in which you are downloading waypoints is only downloading 30 characters into the comment/hint field. That is the limit of each waypoint.

To take advantage of the 44/88 character limits you need to download the waypoints as customized POIs. You will need extra software to do this. Garmin currently offers POI Loader at no expense. Go here to get the software and read up on POIs.

Then you use GSAK as you have done to create the POIs. In your GPS' Find Menu screen, go to "Custom Points of Interest" to view and route to the POI. You can save it as a waypoint if you want, but you will lose all the data but the coords and first 14 characters of the title.

Use search to find a thread named something like "Silly POI Tricks" to read up on POIs.