General discussion about coin ownership

Flying Spaghetti Monster

Thank you for this option to have this discussion!

I think the person who is listed as the owner of a coin is the person who has the right to sell the coin or to veto the sale of the coin.

As someone who frequently buys coins, I would hate to pay for a coin and find out that the tracking has been disabled. Or worse, that the true owner has made a note on the coin that it has been stolen or something like that.

I think it's pretty simple... if a coin is registered by an owner then it's private property. If you don't own it, you can't sell it. It doesn't matter who's holding it at the moment. You can borrow my _______ (fill in the blank), but you don't have the right to give it away or sell it for that matter without my permission. What's simpler than that? :blink:

I think it's pretty simple... if a coin is registered by an owner then it's private property. If you don't own it, you can't sell it. It doesn't matter who's holding it at the moment. You can borrow my _______ (fill in the blank), but you don't have the right to give it away or sell it for that matter without my permission. What's simpler than that? :blink:

x2 I'd get quite ticked if I bought a coin off of e-bay and found that I could never actually own it. That's wasted money to me.

It seems to me that the idea that a person can create a trackable coin, trade it, but still keep ownership of it is kind of like leasing a car. You pay the car dealership a certain amount of money and in exchange you get a car. You have the car to drive, but there are certain rules that need to be followed such as you cannot give away or sell the car, and you must return the car after a certain amount of time has passed. You are paying for the use of the car.

With the coin, you are paying to have the coin in your collection by exchanging one of your coins for it, but the coin remains activated under the makers account, and you are not allowed to sell the coin (or trade the coin?).

So what makes certain coins "special" that they may only be "leased" and not sold or traded like other coins? :blink:

It seems to me that the idea that a person can create a trackable coin, trade it, but still keep ownership of it is kind of like leasing a car. You pay the car dealership a certain amount of money and in exchange you get a car. You have the car to drive, but there are certain rules that need to be followed such as you cannot give away or sell the car, and you must return the car after a certain amount of time has passed. You are paying for the use of the car.

With the coin, you are paying to have the coin in your collection by exchanging one of your coins for it, but the coin remains activated under the makers account, and you are not allowed to sell the coin (or trade the coin?).

So what makes certain coins "special" that they may only be "leased" and not sold or traded like other coins? :blink:

I would think the answer would be your agreement to take it under those conditions?

If you aren't the registered owner of a trackable, how can you sell it? :blink:

That would be like taking your car to the shop for repairs, they give you a loaner car, and then you going out and listing that loaner in the auto-trader magazine! :huh:

Edited by dflye

If you aren't the registered owner of a trackable, how can you sell it? :blink:

That would be like taking your car to the shop for repairs, they give you a loaner car, and then you going out and listing that loaner in the auto-trader magazine! :(

I call it the Brooklyn Bridge method of selling geocoins. :huh:

Hey, if the owner doesn't care and the buyer knows they won't get ownership I say let the dang fool buy the coin.

If you agreed not to sell it, even if you took ownership, like say a gc.com volunteer coin, then you shouldn't sell it. And no next-day justification is going to make selling it acceptable.

:huh: I was wondering the same thing myself? On one hand I can understand why maybe 1 or 2 cachers would do that with their coins due to the overwhelming popularity and history but that doesn't mean I agree with the practice.

I suppose if a person buys the coins, tracking numbers and then activates that coin under their caching name, it's still technically their coin until they transfer ownership. The part that I really don't understand is why does the other person trading/giving the activated coin, get a coin(s) that is/are unactivated to do with as they please? I guess that doesn't seem like a fair trade to me, essentially they own all the coins in the trade? Personally I would not complete a trade on those terms. Then again, maybe I should get into the 'rent-a-geocoin' business :(

If you agree to the terms in a trade/buy, then you should abide by them, plain and simple. If there are any questions what-so-ever, contact the person who traded/gave/sold you the coin and ask.

:D Can I sell my own personal coin on e-bay? To generate income to buy other coins or make another coin?

:D How do I acquire coins, other than e-bay or coin vendor's sites, if I don't have anything but my one personal coin to trade, because I want to build a geocoin collection? When people trade me one-for-one, I keep the coin. For, like, ever. :blink:

:huh: Unless you are somewhat wealthy, I can't imagine how any one person could consistently order every coin that comes available on the forums. At least several a day, sometimes, right? So, if I miss a preorder or reservation because I've spent my budget already, that week, month, etc., then how do you get the coin, at a later date? Supposing that I've already traded the person, that has the wanted coin available, for my one coin? I don't want to give them the personal coins that I've collected - that's why people trade personals, right? To have and keep them?

:huh: Case in point: Avroair, would you, if you have them available, trade a Fair Winds coin(s) for one of your Parrothead coins? What would it take, besides my coin, to make the offer fair to you? There is one available on e-bay, I don't know if you are the seller, and I really would like to have one. I haven't bid yet, since I'm not sure if it is you sellng it. Or even if it is bad form to bid on it! :(

:) I understand the "special coin that hasn't ever been sold, only given away" issue, and others like it. But, beyond the POSSIBLE flagrant betrayal of others' good will by trading, or selling, their personal coins, or signature items, which is a BIG deal, what else (generally speaking) is at stake here? So that I don't blunder, mess up, and make geo-enemies? :(

You can continue with the rest of your evening, IF there's anything left of it! :huh:

When possible, yes, you should honor any agreement made.

However, if something comes up like paying whatever bills or tending to family needs that might necessitate you selling off part of your collection, any bets are off.

No coin is worth more than that.

If anyone doesn't understand and accept that, they have skewed priorities at best...no heart at worst.

When possible, yes, you should honor any agreement made.

However, if something comes up like paying whatever bills or tending to family needs that might necessitate you selling off part of your collection, any bets are off.

No coin is worth more than that.

If anyone doesn't understand and accept that, they have skewed priorities at best...no heart at worst.

But the issue here isn't agreements made when selling coins. The issue is who owns the coin.

If you don't own the coin, do you have the right to sell it? Can I go out to caches and start grabbing coins out and ebaying them?

And as the buyer of one of these coins that was sold by someone other than the owner, would you be disappointed to receive a locked coin?

Edited by MustangJoni

When you trade the coin, and the other person says "You can trade with me, but you can't ever sell it", is that other person not allowed to sell your coin either? I would think it has to be a two way street.

If they don't want it sold on ebay, how would they ever find out that you sold it on the street instead?

There isn't really any way to control it. No one knows what the future holds, and sometimes people have to sell, even if they don't want to, but life might get in the way.

Are you supposed to trade coins back when you no longer want their coin?

There are a lot of variables here.

But the issue here isn't agreements made when selling coins. The issue is who owns the coin.

One can no more say they "own" a coin sitting in someone's collection 1000 miles off than they can say they "own" Michael Jordan's house.

The person that owns the coin is the person who is currently holding it that got it in trade, sale or whatever other legit means. You cannot logically say otherwise.

If you don't own the coin, do you have the right to sell it? Can I go out to caches and start grabbing coins out and ebaying them?

In regards to your first question, if you have the coin in your collection, you own it.

In regards to your second...well, that is a strawman argument. We are talking about coins that people acquired in a legit manner for their collections and *not* people pilfering travelers.

And as the buyer of one of these coins that was sold by someone other than the owner, would you be disappointed to receive a locked coin?

No. I care less about the icon. I want the coin.

One can no more say they "own" a coin sitting in someone's collection 1000 miles off than they can say they "own" Michael Jordan's house.

The person that owns the coin is the person who is currently holding it that got it in trade, sale or whatever other legit means. You cannot logically say otherwise.

In regards to your first question, if you have the coin in your collection, you own it.

In regards to your second...well, that is a strawman argument. We are talking about coins that people acquired in a legit manner for their collections and *not* people pilfering travelers.

No. I care less about the icon. I want the coin.

Well, the way I see it, if someone else has control of the coin tracking page, then they own it. It says so on the coin tracking page. They can delete any logs, they can change the description. They can change it to say something that might ebarrass you! They can also lock the tracking #. So I am logically saying otherwise.

If I actually bought and paid for Michael Jordan's house, and the paperwork says so, then I own it. And believe me, I'm going to charge him a lot of rent! :laughing:

Some people actually do want the tracking and the icon when they purchase a coin. Especially if they are paying the premium ebay price for it.

Basically, buying a coin that is sold by someone other than the legitimate owner is a bad deal for "most" people who purchase it.

Well, the way I see it, if someone else has control of the coin tracking page, then they own it. It says so on the coin tracking page. They can delete any logs, they can change the description. They can change it to say something that might ebarrass you! They can also lock the tracking #. So I am logically saying otherwise.

Sure, they could do a number of things with the coin tracking page, but that would be rather immature, eh? :huh:

What you describe is their ownership of the web page rather than the coin.

Way I look at it...if I bought such a coin and the "owner" did that, I'd laugh and shrug it off as someone who has lost touch with reality.

If I actually bought and paid for Michael Jordan's house, and the paperwork says so, then I own it. And believe me, I'm going to charge him a lot of rent! :laughing:

:mad:

Some people actually do want the tracking and the icon when they purchase a coin. Especially if they are paying the premium ebay price for it.

True.

Basically, buying a coin that is sold by someone other than the legitimate owner is a bad deal for "most" people who purchase it.

I fail to see it that way at all. The buyer got the coin they wanted and it's sitting in their collection. Most people don't activate their collection coins, so I'd think it'd be a non-issue.

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

I usually just read these kind of threads and keep to myself...but recently I needed some money and opted to sell some of my coins. Most of which I have trade for (the coins I made for other).

I was looking to sell a coin that I knew would fitch a nice price 1 of only 20 made. I knew these were trade only coins from the person who made them. So I contacted them first. They offered to trade me a few other coins that would come to some value close to the one I had and I could then sell those, they perferred I didn't sell the coin I had.

I hourned thier wishes at this time and sold a few other coins I had, didn't make the propose trade or sell the coin I had thought about.

Yes, I own the coin via fair trade. I just knew the indent of the coin I received and therefore contacted the person.

Does this mean I'll do the same thing in the future, NO. But right now I was able to sell other coins and get the funds I needed. No emergency or anything just short of funds for a bit. You know 800+ coins cost a fair penny and when people don't pay or backout... I needed to do something quickly.

Just my 2 cents, now I'll go back to just reading these threads.... :laughing::mad:

I usually just read these kind of threads and keep to myself...but recently I needed some money and opted to sell some of my coins. Most of which I have trade for (the coins I made for other).

I was looking to sell a coin that I knew would fitch a nice price 1 of only 20 made. I knew these were trade only coins from the person who made them. So I contacted them first. They offered to trade me a few other coins that would come to some value close to the one I had and I could then sell those, they perferred I didn't sell the coin I had.

I hourned thier wishes at this time and sold a few other coins I had, didn't make the propose trade or sell the coin I had thought about.

Yes, I own the coin via fair trade. I just knew the indent of the coin I received and therefore contacted the person.

Does this mean I'll do the same thing in the future, NO. But right now I was able to sell other coins and get the funds I needed. No emergency or anything just short of funds for a bit. You know 800+ coins cost a fair penny and when people don't pay or backout... I needed to do something quickly.

Just my 2 cents, now I'll go back to just reading these threads.... :laughing::mad:

But there is a difference here between trade only coins and a coin that you traded for, but never received the ownership of. Like the Moun10bike coins or the CCC coins. All Moun10bike coins are owned by him. Most of the CCC coins are owned by CCC (and those were gifts).

But there is a difference here between trade only coins and a coin that you traded for, but never received the ownership of. Like the Moun10bike coins or the CCC coins. All Moun10bike coins are owned by him. Most of the CCC coins are owned by CCC (and those were gifts).

Again, if you have the coin in your collection, you own it.

Again, if you have the coin in your collection, you own it.

No...you have possession of it. Maybe that is 9/10 and all...but the coin page still lists another cacher as the "owner." Can't get around that one.

First and foremost in this whole issue is that if you make an agreement with someone about a coin you receive you should abide by that agreement as far as possible.

- If you agree not to sell a coin, then you shouldn't.

- If you agree not to sell a coin, but then face extraordinary circumstances you should talk with the person you made the agreement with. Likely they will work with you.

- If you don't like the terms of the agreement then don't do the trade.

Now the twist: To the best of my knowledge these restricted coin always or mostly come with the understanding that you can trade it but not sell it. So this is just so easy to get around. You just trade a pile other unrestricted coins. A bit more inconvenient and the valuation is more uncertain. But ultimately accomplishes the same thing.

I guess the question I would like to ask those who place the restrictions on their coins is why do it, knowing how much grief and controversy it causes. (Not a judgment about it, but just curious; Also not disputing your right to put any restriction on your coins.)

Part of the problem with these restricted coins is that collectors come in all flavors. Some are outgoing and aggressive or socially skilled, others are shy (like me) The outgoing ones do fine making trades for those hard to find restricted ones. Maybe they have better relationships / friendships.

So as a for instance, I will probably never own a Volunteer coin or a Mount10bike 1 or 2 coin. In truth anyone who has one of those coins, even if they trade with it is going to treat it as having significant monetary value. I bet there is not a single one that has traded in the last year for another relatively common personal, commercial or event coin.

I suspect that in most cases there is already not really that tight a relationship between the two parties in these disputes or they would never show up here in the forums.

My thoughts . . .

That's not really an answer now, is it? Why should one persons coin be more highly regarded than anothers?

Some coins are highly regarded because of their rarity. Some are highly regarded because they are difficult to get. Some are highly regarded because they sell for a lot on ebay.

Some coins that I might regard highly, you might not.

Personally i don't think you can 'own' anything much anyway except your skin and your mistakes!

The basic question imo is not about 'ownership' - it's really one of trust and who should get the big bucks? If i trade under a certain agreement to one bloke that doesn't necessarily pass to the next chap he trades with - he'd have to make his own agreement. In the end it's about making some sort of balance there. I sell at a 'profit' and make sure I at least 'tithe' that profit back to the general community at some stage somewhere. The lot eventually goes back in the pot anyway. Like coin of the realm these things are most fun when they circulate be it in a cache, through trade for like or by trade for cash.

other thoughts:

1.I can't see the moral difference between being asked for coin of the realm and being asked for 2 to TEN trackable coins for one VHT to knock out of a collection coin which I only missed out on buying because some big kid with longer legs scrobbled up the lot at the lolly grab :mad: so to speak.

2. I really really liked the opportunity to aquire rare coins through purchase when I am unable to 'trade fair' for them ie.1:1

Dear geocoin fairy the charity auctions usually are just too few and far between and plain old expensive for me - they go for at least double what a plain old auction does as far as i can see.

3. Geocoin fairies had better add a 'trade fair' stipulation to their coins!! A single coin costs between USD10-16 by the time it's shipped here -then add shipping ten coins to the USA v. no charge from paypal.....then the trader asks for a HTF in that lot and sells it so what the heck.....if you insist on creating an artificially limited supply then the biggest baddest animal with the most teeth is gonna rule .... unless the meek are cleverer and gang up and ....

:laughing: I should probably sell my coins now and go buy the bigger keyboard the littlest feral has need of.

Edited by forthferalz

That's not really an answer now, is it? Why should one persons coin be more highly regarded than anothers?

Sure it is.

Why couldn't I put stipulations on one of my coins?

If I worked hard on it, and didn't want to see others profit from it, that would be my right. If I paid for tracking numbers, and took the time to activate them all in my name...then I don't see any problems in putting stipulations on it.

If someone didn't like the stipulations...they could avoid the coin all-together.

I'd still like the answer as to why some people think their coins are so special they should be treated differently and held in higher regard than anothers coin might be.

My guess is that some folks have inflated egos, the occasional superiority complex.. maybe even narcissistic tendencies, and think pretty highly of themselves to begin with.

IMO, the truly special coins are ones given amongst friends, and regardless of wether or not it's a rare coin, the value is always greater. :laughing:

Well said '57 :mad:

I'd still like the answer as to why some people think their coins are so special they should be treated differently and held in higher regard than anothers coin might be.

My guess is that some folks have inflated egos, the occasional superiority complex.. maybe even narcissistic tendencies, and think pretty highly of themselves to begin with.

IMO, the truly special coins are ones given amongst friends, and regardless of wether or not it's a rare coin, the value is always greater. :laughing:

You are assuming the worst in folks with that generalization.

Maybe they just don't want to see their work become a commodity. Maybe they are sensitive and it would hurt their feelings.

I personally would not like to buy or trade for a coin if it wasn't ever going to be mine.

I have a few coins that the maker doesn't want sold, but that is different to not owning them at all. I am more than happy to honour not selling certain coins - especially if they were gifted to me.

But not owning them just sounds ridiculous, and I'd have to agree with what 57Chevy wrote :laughing:

No...you have possession of it. Maybe that is 9/10 and all...but the coin page still lists another cacher as the "owner." Can't get around that one.

Again, I will repeat myself. The person may own the writing that is on the web page that lists the coin, but the person holding the coin is the owner of the coin.

Now...just to be clear, in those sale-restriction cases I believe that those coins should only be sold if you have to to take care of a family emergency or to otherwise care for your family.

Any other reason is low, indeed.

I think that anyone who puts out a coin probably has their heart and a bit of their soul in that coin. That's the idea of a personal coin. What makes yours so exceptional that it should come with conditions.

I fully agree. I came out with a personal coin and I love it dearly. I did the art and it came into fruition as a geocoin.

Now, if someone wanted to sell one of my trade-only coins then so be it. Would I be mad? Not in the slightest. I feel that once I sent that bubble mailer to the person as part of a trade or as a gift I lost ownership. Simple.

I think that anyone who puts out a coin probably has their heart and a bit of their soul in that coin. That's the idea of a personal coin. What makes yours so exceptional that it should come with conditions.

Having never done it myself...I couldn't give you a difinitive answer.

I'm just saying that some will have their reasons, and I would support them on that.

I think agreeing with the conditions makes a coin that exceptional. If you think about it, it is really great marketing.

I did Mustang Fastbacks not too long ago. I had one (a white one) that I only sold as part of the set. I get more trade requests for that one than I do the LE that only 30 were made of. Or any of the others that IMO were much prettier (red is my favorite!). But I think the percieved "rarity" of it makes it more desirable than the others.

Edited by MustangJoni

As far as not wanting a coin to become a commodity...I hate to break it to you..but as soon as one coin is sold..that's exactly what it becomes. It doesn't matter who does the selling. The only coins that aren't commodities are the mystery coins which are given away as opposed to being sold.

Edited by TheNumber1Bop

Again, I will repeat myself. The person may own the writing that is on the web page that lists the coin, but the person holding the coin is the owner of the coin.

Now...just to be clear, in those sale-restriction cases I believe that those coins should only be sold if you have to to take care of a family emergency or to otherwise care for your family.

I don't know, if I have ownership of the coin page I pretty much control who gets to post a log. I could even request gc.com lock it down.

Granted this concept of giving a coin to someone and retaining the page ownership is an odd partnership to me.

Edited by BlueDeuce

I think agreeing with the conditions makes a coin that exceptional. If you think about it, it is really great marketing.

I did Mustang Fastbacks not too long ago. I had one (a white one) that I only sold as part of the set. I get more trade requests for that one than I do the LE that only 30 were made of. Or any of the others that IMO were much prettier (red is my favorite!). But I think the percieved "rarity" of it makes it more desirable than the others.

So these conditions are put on a coin to increase the profit or trade value for the person that produced the coin? That really is a great marketing scheme. Kind of takes away a bit of the mystery of these coins when you see it from that angle though.

Sure it is.

If I worked hard on it, and didn't want to see others profit from it, that would be my right. If I paid for tracking numbers, and took the time to activate them all in my name...then I don't see any problems in putting stipulations on it.

If someone didn't like the stipulations...they could avoid the coin all-together.

Have to answer why you might not: Because it causes hostility, anger and confusion among people. It damages friendships and relationships.

Just because you have the right to do something does not necessarily make it the best thing to do.

I don't know, if I have ownership of the coin page I pretty much control who gets to post a log. I could even request gc.com lock it down.

Granted this concept of giving a coin to someone and retaining the page ownership is an odd partnership to me.

True...but...let's use an example....purely hypothetical: Say you give someone a coin and tell them not to sell it. Say I want that coin real bad and I buy it from them. I got what I wanted...the coin in my collection. I really could care less about the icon or the trackability. Most people don't activate their coins anyway in their collections, so i fail to see why it'd matter what the web page said.

I do agree wholeheartedly with you on your final point, though.

First and foremost in this whole issue is that if you make an agreement with someone about a coin you receive you should abide by that agreement as far as possible.

- If you agree not to sell a coin, then you shouldn't.

- If you agree not to sell a coin, but then face extraordinary circumstances you should talk with the person you made the agreement with. Likely they will work with you.

- If you don't like the terms of the agreement then don't do the trade.

Now the twist: To the best of my knowledge these restricted coin always or mostly come with the understanding that you can trade it but not sell it. So this is just so easy to get around. You just trade a pile other unrestricted coins. A bit more inconvenient and the valuation is more uncertain. But ultimately accomplishes the same thing.

I agree wholeheartedly with the WWC and those that have expressed this view. I also like the analogy of leasing a car. If my name isn't on the coin page as the owner than I'm not whether it is in my possession or not. If you say you own the coin if it is in your possesion, then I guess when you pick up a traveling geocoin you own it. May as well add that one to your collection too

I agree with this statement also. I made an agreement when I traded for the coin. If I didn't like the trade stipulations then I would refuse the trade plain and simple. No one usually twists my arm to make a trade. :laughing:

I agree wholeheartedly with the WWC and those that have expressed this view. I also like the analogy of leasing a car. If my name isn't on the coin page as the owner than I'm not whether it is in my possession or not. If you say you own the coin if it is in your possesion, then I guess when you pick up a traveling geocoin you own it. May as well add that one to your collection too.

Strawman.

We are talking about coins that are acquired in a legit manner. Just because one thinks that ownership belongs to the coin holder, it does not mean they are willing to snag travelers from caches.

If you trade for a coin, be it another geocoin or a bunch of George Washingtons, you own the coin you traded for.

So these conditions are put on a coin to increase the profit or trade value for the person that produced the coin? That really is a great marketing scheme. Kind of takes away a bit of the mystery of these coins when you see it from that angle though.

As a coin trader, I want my coins to have as much trade value as I can. But...I never meant for the White Mustangs to be considered rare. What I wanted to do was, because I was doing a pre-sale, give those folks who ordered them a little gift. Kinda like a thank you for believing in me type of thing. I only ordered a few extra of the White ones to make up for any shipping issues. But sometimes you do something like that and it ends up having an unintended consequence.