Evil Caches

:blink: Goood Evennning.... (or good morning depending on your coordinates)

This smiley face log was recently posted for a small urban cache:

"TFTC! I was out for a morning of geocaching the morning following the end of Daylight Saving Time and this was one of my searches.

An aborted search yesterday, I came back today at 7:30 am before the guard and the local proprietors were about.

This was certainly evil. "

He he he, I think that is a complement. Or is it?

The cache is located in a high muggle zone. Private property w/permission. Well hidden, but if you can avoid the bored gaze of the parking lot guard and multitude of store proprietors taking smoke breaks, (and a meandering tourist or two), it would be an easy grab with some basic stealth techniques. If it were ever to be discovered by muggles, it is tupperware, clearly labeled as a geocache, and covered in funny congratulatory stickers. To help, in the cache description I included suggested times when all surrounding establishments close for the day, or Sundays, when everyone is closed. The rating was ter1 / diff 2. I upped the diff level to 3 recently based on log feedback.

Yep, it could be evil, or it could be easy.

As a cacher I would find that challenging. Some logs seem to agree and list their funny stealth tactics. Several logs are posted notes stating there were too many muggles, and there are some DNF's, again with comments about muggles. Only a few cachers have taken the easy approach and arrived before 9:00am, after 5:00pm or Sundays.

What do you think? Evil - bring it on! or Evil - see ya!

Evil = Bring it on!

Some cachers dread having to do a lot of careful planning to pull off a find and may avoid the cache based on lfeedback in the logs.

But cachers that are tweaked by the challenge of the hide will think it's a wonderful thing indeed. I'd say any cache that is well-hidden that requires some stealth and planning to get to in a crowded location is a great thing. May need props, friends, planning, a dog or some other diversion to make the grab. It increases the difficulty of the find without neccesarily increasing the terrain level, so folks who are not into long hikes but do like the challenge would appreciate it.

What do you think? Evil - bring it on! or Evil - see ya!

Evil - BRING IT ON!

I like evil caches- but generally AFTER I have found them. :blink:

There's only one cache that I placed to be deliberately evil. It is evil in the size (nano), manner of hide, and location of hide - throw in no WAAS in the area of placement, and it is a bugger.

13 finds, 16 DNFs - I love those stats! :huh: The logs make me smile, I am very happy when cachers find it finally, and the rating is spot on since it normally takes cachers several searches to get it. While it has not been called evil in the logs, I certainly have received several emails indicating that possibility.

Edit: No Porpoise for this Micro in Iraq

Edited by Jeep_Dog

The cache is located in a high muggle zone. Private property w/permission. Well hidden, but if you can avoid the bored gaze of the parking lot guard and multitude of store proprietors taking smoke breaks, (and a meandering tourist or two), it would be an easy grab with some basic stealth techniques.

Some of us don't care for caches where you're supposed to be stealthy. Some of us just ignore them, and some of us do them anyway and don't care who's watching.

I usually fall into the "just ignore them" category.