Canadian cacher looking for Las Vegas area info

countypals

Hi

I'm coming to visit Las Vegas next week and I'm hoping that someone will be willing to share their expertise. I'm only in the area for a few days and I'm looking for an "easily accessible" cache to drop off a travel bug. The idea is that I can watch the progress of my travel bug during the cold Canadian winter when caching might not be so easy to do here at home. I've done quite a bit of searching but mostly I'm finding micros in the Vegas area. Since I'm a "senior" female, I need a cache that doesn't require ropes and ladders! My home base will be in the northwest side of the city and we are hoping to get into the Red Rock Canyon area.

I'd appreciate any help I can get.

How concerned do I have to be about flora and fauna (especially wriggly things!) while caching?

First, I want to dispell the rumor that Las Vegas was annexed by area 51. Since Area 51 does not exist, then this cannot happen. This conversation also did not exist.

Next... where will you be staying? There are only a few caches along the strip that are big enough for travelers. There are more if you travel further. As Sanruft mentioned, A Special Memory is a "must do".

Also, what date/times are you available? Pop a note on www.NevadaGeocaching.com and you never know what shift worker is going to be available for a caching adventure.

Oh, as far as "wriggly things", I'm not sure which one you are talking about so here's a couple optional answers.

- Worms tend to stay underground.

- BroncoCacher is supposed to be at work during the week. He also doesn't come out during football games.

- Rattlesnakes are rare in touristy areas. I think it's been too cold for them anyways. I don't think I have seen one in a couple years.

- It has been a long time since we had anything escape from Area 51.

- It has been a long time since we had anything escape from Area 51.

You sure BroncoCacher wasn't an escaped experiment?

countypals - definitely jump over to NGA, lots of great folks down there with a wide variety of schedules. No lack of able tour guides. jobosomo's mom even has a bookmark list for a Hundred Caches in a Day.

Thanks for your suggestions and your sense of humour! I wish I had time to do more caches in your area. There are soooo many to choose from. A Special Memory will certainly suit my purpose for this trip. I'm hoping we can do a virtual or two while we're on the strip. We're staying in the peace Canyon area and I think we may be able to sneak in one or two there. Then a day out to Red Rock and it'll be time to go home. Man, that was a short trip! I've got myself back home before I get there!!!!!!

Thanks again. Hope I can return the favour someday.

Thanks for your suggestions and your sense of humour! I wish I had time to do more caches in your area. There are soooo many to choose from. A Special Memory will certainly suit my purpose for this trip. I'm hoping we can do a virtual or two while we're on the strip. We're staying in the peace Canyon area and I think we may be able to sneak in one or two there. Then a day out to Red Rock and it'll be time to go home. Man, that was a short trip! I've got myself back home before I get there!!!!!!

Thanks again. Hope I can return the favour someday.

No problem. Let us know if there is anything we can do.

I bypassed the activation on the NevadaGeocaching site so you don't need the e-mail. Your account there is active.

Happy caching!

countypals - definitely jump over to NGA, lots of great folks down there with a wide variety of schedules. No lack of able tour guides. jobosomo's mom even has a bookmark list for a Hundred Caches in a Day.

first time posting a question - is this hundred caches in a day for the Las Vegas area?

hubs and I are coming to Vegas in Sept and want a day or two of caching - but I see so many options and don't know where to start. It looks like a rental car first...

thx.

first time posting a question - is this hundred caches in a day for the Las Vegas area?

hubs and I are coming to Vegas in Sept and want a day or two of caching - but I see so many options and don't know where to start. It looks like a rental car first...

thx.

Hi DominoGirl,

We just did a couple of caches while in Vegas. You have to do "Special Memory" I'm sure it's a one-of-a kind! There is also one for the top of the Eiffel Tower but you need to read the requirements first (we didn't!) Be sure to take a TB or geocoin with you. We've had great fun watching ours move. As for the hundred caches in a day - I don't think even the best of the best could handle that (lol) but if you can find that bookmark listing, it would make your job a lot easier. I would say a rental car is definitely a good start. Red Rock Canyon would be great place to hike if you plan on getting out of the city. Have a great trip!

- BroncoCacher is supposed to be at work during the week. He also doesn't come out during football games.

Bahahahaha! :D:D He's been awfully quiet lately, he must have finally....um nevermind. :o

- Rattlesnakes are rare in touristy areas. I think it's been too cold for them anyways. I don't think I have seen one in a couple years.

Too cold! :) I think it's too hot down there and they've all moved north. I've seen more this year than any other :huh:

thx.

Yes, it is possible to get 100 caches in a day in Las Vegas. Jobosomos Mom's list a bit outdated as 30% of those caches have been archived. http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...de-5f9fc329e48b

It does show you that it has been done, and since there are more caches now, it is even easier than before.

This list may be helpful: http://www.geocaching.com/bookmarks/view.a...7e-38b2428a0391

We did 85 caches during our last visit to Las Vegas. We started in North Las Vegas, then over to East Las Vegas, down to Henderson and the Boulder Strip area, then back over toward the Vegas Strip. We had time to find more, but we also had cached through the area at least once or twice before.

Anyways, the best way to find a lot of caches is to build a route and kinda do a circle around The Strip. Sticking to those urban areas will net you a good quantity (not necessarily quality).

Then, on a separate day/trip, walk the strip and find the caches and virtuals along there. If you even attempt to find those during a high caching day, it just isn't gonna happen. When I did the virtuals, it was a 20 cache day, and I started by the Luxor found all those there, drove up to Venetian, parked there. Found all the ones in that area, then drove up to downtown and did those. We even paid the money to ride to the top of Stratosphere and do the two caches up there. It was an enjoyable trip exploring the various features of The Strip. We did it during the middle of the day when traffic was mild.

There are many virtuals and webcam caches there in town, so plan ahead for those. If you don't have a friend at home that can grab the webcam shots for you, drop me an email and I can help.

Have an enjoyable trip! I'll be back out there in October for another tradeshow.

Found this thread just in time. Wife and I are headed to Vegas in November to renew our vows for our 5 year anniversary and I want to get some caches in there as well. We're staying at the Venetian so I'll start there and work out from there as time permits. Unfurtunately we won't be renewing our vows at "A Special Memory" as we both want Elvis to renew them. Thank you, thank you very much...

Found this thread just in time. Wife and I are headed to Vegas in November to renew our vows for our 5 year anniversary and I want to get some caches in there as well. We're staying at the Venetian so I'll start there and work out from there as time permits. Unfurtunately we won't be renewing our vows at "A Special Memory" as we both want Elvis to renew them. Thank you, thank you very much...

Will you be doing this at the Welcome To Las Vegas virtual then?