Unite for diabetes

Lactodorum

A number of monuments are being illuminated for World Diabetes Day and you will be able to collect your Geocoin from many of these locations on 14 November. Currently the list includes the following in the UK:

• London Eye, London, UK. 9 November, 17:30-18:30
  • Shell Tower, London, UK. 14 November, 17:00-19:00

For more details see here

Edited by Lactodorum

It is a bit of a downer that the locations are scarce. If you look at the bigger picture, at the time of posting this there are only 10 locations worldwide. The UK is the only country to have 2 locations (albeit both in London). Even the US has only got one location listed.

So with the current list we have probably done not to bad?

They are handing out 3500 coins over 10 locations, first come first served. I will be surprised if they get 350 cachers turn up in London! So I hope they won't just hand them out to anyone, or many will go missing.

We are going to try and get up to London for this event as my daughter is Diabetic and we don't live too far away.

We were lucky enough to get a Unite for Diabetes TB "Kalachinsk, Russia" (TB1BKHN) which didn't get very far so if we could get a coin it would be fun to track its adventures. (If they let us have more than 1 coin I will grab a spare to give away!!??)

My only query is that the London Eye seems to be lighting up 5 days earlier than the rest of the world, is this real or a typo? And will there be coins available on the 9th??

2 years ago when our lives became directly affected by Diabetes I wondered how people in the 3rd World coped without the facilities we have. I like to think this international publicity is aimed at kids in developing countries even though the disease is increasing over here too.

If, like me, you are involved with Diabetes as well as geocaching you might like to join in the festivities at other sites in the UK that will also be lighting up a monument:-

Royal Research Ship Discovery, Dundee, Scotland, United Kingdom

St. Catherine's Chapel, Abbotsbury, United Kingdom

Town Hall, Leicester, United Kingdom

City Hall, Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom

Shell Centre, London, United Kingdom

Gateshead Millenium Bridge, Gateshead, United Kingdom

London Eye, London, United Kingdom

Any which way, have fun and hopefully we will see some of these coins wandering from cache to cache soon.

:blink:

In the same way that all the yanks live in New York eh?

I don't think that all yanks live n New York!!

In fact - quite the oppostite!

I've been to the states a number of times, my mother is from the USA, I KNOW all yanks don't live in New York - I'm not that naive.

I don't think that all yanks live in New York at all.... Manhatten would sink.

My mother is from the US and I have been to the states on a number of occasions. I certainly do NOT think that all yanks live in New York!!!

I don't think that all yanks live in New York at all.... Manhatten would sink.

My mother is from the US and I have been to the states on a number of occasions. I certainly do NOT think that all yanks live in New York!!!

Sorry, thats not what I meant. Its just that the only place in the USA listed on the monuments page is in New York... therefore the only place in the whole of the USA to go and collect a coin.

Muhahahaha, look what I've got!

diabetescoins.jpg

I was first to find the two lovely ladies (they were more excited than me, think they thought no one was going to turn up!) and using my charm, wit and good looks to my advantage managed to secure 20 extra coins for those of you who couldn't make it.

If you would like one then email me through our profile, first come first served.

I was first to find the two lovely ladies (they were more excited than me, think they thought no one was going to turn up!) and using my charm, wit and good looks to my advantage managed to secure 20 extra coins for those of you who couldn't make it.

If you would like one then email me through our profile, first come first served.

Emailed :laughing:

Edited by Matrix

Email sent.

Just kidding! :laughing:

edit: quote fix

Edited by BlueDeuce

I was there a little later that Michael.

I got a coin for Scotland, one for Ireland and one for the North East, just emailing those who I shall send them to.

Also, persuaded them to come back tomorrow as they had no idea about the event taking place in the exact same spot tomorrow!

Nice one Wendy :rolleyes:

I'll reply to your email when I get home this evening from work.

this being the first Geocoin I've owned

I'm sure you realise by now, but they're not intended to be kept (owned), they're just being distributed to spread awareness of diabetes. I'm sure we'll see plenty of them in caches before not too long. I have two of the diabetes TB's in my bag at the moment that I picked up this week and have probably seen dozens of the things in the past year.

I'm sure you realise by now, but they're not intended to be kept (owned)

I used the term "owned" in the sense that I thought it would go on the right hand side of the profile - where it says ... um ... "owned" as opposed to the left (where it doesn't). Being new to this coin lark, I didn't realise they were pre-activated. If I just wanted to hang on to it I wouldn't be trying to activate it, I'd be putting it on a velvet cushion wringing my hands and cackling maniacally.

Rest assured it will go into a cache soon enough. :rolleyes:

I'd be useless at collecting little things like this even if I wanted to. It'd very soon join all the pen-tops, handy torches, tape measures, screwdriver bits, drill keys, extremely important forms, USB sticks and the like in lost-land.

2 left

email sent I hope I was in time. Well done to both of you for managing to get so many and to Wendy for arranging for them to come back. :anicute:

...but sadly, they didn't come back -_-

It's a real shame they didn't realise there was an event at the exact spot the next day.

Maybe a few more folks can get there and work their charms on Wednesday? Sadly, I can't get there as my work in town will be finished by then and I'll be back in Dorset.

2 left

email sent I hope I was in time. Well done to both of you for managing to get so many and to Wendy for arranging for them to come back. :anicute:

...but sadly, they didn't come back -_-

It's a real shame they didn't realise there was an event at the exact spot the next day.

Maybe a few more folks can get there and work their charms on Wednesday? Sadly, I can't get there as my work in town will be finished by then and I'll be back in Dorset.

I can probably get down there again, and if so I'll grab a handfull to pass on.