Play Doh as Swag - bad idea

Rattlebars

Too many people also don't think that dog biskets are 'food'

I had a friend in 3rd grade that brought dog biskets with him to school every day. It was his favorite snack. He got me to try them once or twice, but I found them rather... oh, I guess you could say, dog bisket-like, and didn't really care for them, although I thought it cool that he did.

(If you went to the old Excelsior grade school and brought dog biskets to school for a snack, you know who you are... if you are a geocacher now, email me!)

Edited by knowschad
While I agree with the sentiment that Play-Doh has no business in caches as a fellow inflicted Celiac it's kind of intellectually irresponsible representation to pull the "Wheat can KILL ME" card.

Technically, it's not wheat that could kill you but gluten. And if you eat ONLY wheat all day (which would be STUPID), you still won't die. You might get cancer, but that's about it. Get your fill of veggies, fruits, meats, geocaching, and gluten-free foods; you'll be just fine.

Ok, so as usual, it turns into an "attack the PO" thread. What the heck does "intellectually irresponsible representation to pull the "Wheat can KILL ME" card" mean exactly? That's ridiculous. I wasn't pulling ANY card. This whole thread is about protecting caches from being destroyed by ANIMALS by NOT putting FOOD in them. I never implied that touching a wheat container would kill me.

But, wheat can kill me. Nearly did. I went undiagnosed for a very long time and spent three months in the hospital recovering. I'm six feet tall and at the end weighed only 118 pounds and was on life support. It's been two years since then and I still have not recovered. Nitpicking over wheat vs gluten is a red herring. Wheat was the ingredient mentioned in the Hasbro quote "It DOES contain Wheat". I didn't take it further since this thread is not about celiac or even allergies period (somebody else brought that up), but about improper swag. Too many sentences or too many words in a post seems to confuse. Apparently my original post was too complicated for some to read with any intelligence as it was....

And, no. "If I eat ONLY wheat every day I won't die" is so completely WRONG it does not deserve a response. Educate yourself on the subject if you feel qualified enough to spout on about it.

So, to clarify (and I'll make sure there's nothing conversational to mislead those with poor reading skills).

This thread is about Play Doh being FOOD and you should NOT put FOOD in caches period.

While I agree with the sentiment that Play-Doh has no business in caches as a fellow inflicted Celiac it's kind of intellectually irresponsible representation to pull the "Wheat can KILL ME" card.

Technically, it's not wheat that could kill you but gluten. And if you eat ONLY wheat all day (which would be STUPID), you still won't die. You might get cancer, but that's about it. Get your fill of veggies, fruits, meats, geocaching, and gluten-free foods; you'll be just fine.

Ok, so as usual, it turns into an "attack the PO" thread. What the heck does "intellectually irresponsible representation to pull the "Wheat can KILL ME" card" mean exactly? That's ridiculous. I wasn't pulling ANY card. This whole thread is about protecting caches from being destroyed by ANIMALS by NOT putting FOOD in them. I never implied that touching a wheat container would kill me.

But, wheat can kill me. Nearly did. I went undiagnosed for a very long time and spent three months in the hospital recovering. I'm six feet tall and at the end weighed only 118 pounds and was on life support. It's been two years since then and I still have not recovered. Nitpicking over wheat vs gluten is a red herring. Wheat was the ingredient mentioned in the Hasbro quote "It DOES contain Wheat". I didn't take it further since this thread is not about celiac or even allergies period (somebody else brought that up), but about improper swag. Too many sentences or too many words in a post seems to confuse. Apparently my original post was too complicated for some to read with any intelligence as it was....

And, no. "If I eat ONLY wheat every day I won't die" is so completely WRONG it does not deserve a response. Educate yourself on the subject if you feel qualified enough to spout on about it.

So, to clarify (and I'll make sure there's nothing conversational to mislead those with poor reading skills).

This thread is about Play Doh being FOOD and you should NOT put FOOD in caches period.

I'll tell you what it means in simple terms. You are falsely and inaccurately depicting the severity of an action, and how it will affect you having Celiac's, and it's plain and simply irresponsible and unfair representation to people who are uninformed about the disease.

That's what it means...and I didn't attack you. You just got defensive because someone made a comment you were uncomfortable with. There is no kind of attack in what I wrote.

If this thread is about avoiding the placement of Play-Doh in caches then stick to it and don't venture off using false scare tactics.

Edited by egami

I understand this, but I was refuting the context that it was used in...which I had no control over. :lol:

Edited by egami

Slight correction: this thread is about playdoh being food for animals and you should not put food in caches period. What children do with playdoh is not our concern. What animals do to caches is.

Edited by meralgia

I give up. This thread is about not placing food in caches so the cache does not get destroyed. No scare tactics were intended. You read that into the post.

The thread has been hijacked as an alergy thread which it is not and was not intended to be.

Just a note to meralgia: If GLUTEN is in my diet ANYWHERE, my intestines begin to digest themselves, hence, they cannot absorb nutrients from ANY food source. I starve to death. In my book, that defines KILL ME quite clearly.

Whew. I am amazed how these threads get confused, hijacked, misread.......

Well, when you start talking about getting killed due to Play-Doh that'll tend to set things up for that...

So, I guess we're all on the same page now....don't eat Play-Doh if you have Celiac's.

The OP said that he happened to find out that play-doh had wheat in it, because he is aware of those sorts of things because of his allergy. It was an off hand mention to let us know why he found out about it. The thread was started to let people know that since there was wheat in play-doh, then it should be considered food and shouldn't be put in caches because of animals.

Sheesh. Talk about going off-tangent. :ph34r:

Edited by Ambrosia

The OP said that he happened to find out that play-doh had wheat in it, because he is aware of those sorts of things because of his allergy. It was an off hand mention to let us know why he found out about it. The thread was started to let people know that since there was wheat in play-doh, then it should be considered food and shouldn't be put in caches because of animals.

It's apparent you didn't go back and read my previous replies and what my contention was with one of the OP's subsequent replies...I responded to their comment, so if it was off-tangent, blame the OP. I was merely responding in line with what was brought up.

Edited by egami

It's apparent you didn't go back and read my previous replies and what my contention was with one of the OP's subsequent replies...I responded to their comment, so if it was off-tangent, blame the OP. I was merely responding in line with what was brought up.

Ah, yes, thank you for pointing that out. It is quite apparent that I never read this entire thread, but just skipped to the end. I'm glad that you figured that out for me. :ph34r: Since it's quite apparant that I don't have anything to contribute to this thread as I apparantly never read it, then don't mind a single word that I say (which I'm sure you won't, anyway).

This came up in another thread (visit link) and I don't want to hijack that thread. Since I got some disagreeable responses to my post in that thread and was admonished because I stated that I remove Play Doh if ever I find it in a cache, I feel this is important enough for it's own thread. I've had to repair four caches because someone put Play Doh in them. One was a very secured ammo box that was ripped open by a raccoon and a neat little Play Doh container was chewed thoroughly and its content was EATEN. I found some evidence at the other caches that Play Doh was the bait that caused the cache to be destroyed.

I have celiac disease which is a serious aversion to gluten (visit link) and in researching a site recently Play Doh came up in the search! I visited Hasbro's Play Doh site (visit link) and it is confirmed that Play Doh is food and is against the guidelines as acceptable cache contents hence also as usable swag. If you leave Play Doh (the ones I found were the "keychain" variety) in a cache as swag, you are not doing the owner any favors and are likely setting up some maintenance issues. Play Doh is FOOD. Don't use it!

Here is what the Haspro's site said:

The exact ingredients of PLAY-DOH compound are proprietary, so we cannot share them with you. We can tell you that it is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour. It does NOT contain peanuts, peanut oil, or any milk byproducts. It DOES contain wheat.

PLAY-DOH compound is non-toxic, non-irritating & non-allergenic except as noted: Children who are allergic to wheat gluten may have an allergic reaction to this product.

Thanks for pointing this out. You make some very good points. Frankly, I personally find it very hard to believe that cachers would not realize that Play-Doh and similar products are made out of foodstuffs (and would thus attract animals) and that ANY cacher in their right mind would think of leaving any food, much less Play-Doh, in a cache. sigh... double-sigh...

I also find it amazingly hard to believe that some of the latter-day posters keep trying to hijack this discussion into flame-filled tangents about food allergies and food sensitivities. Quite amazing.... I keep wanting to erect a sign here on this thread reading:

"Caution -- Trolls at Work!"

:ph34r:

This came up in another thread (visit link) and I don't want to hijack that thread. Since I got some disagreeable responses to my post in that thread and was admonished because I stated that I remove Play Doh if ever I find it in a cache, I feel this is important enough for it's own thread. I've had to repair four caches because someone put Play Doh in them. One was a very secured ammo box that was ripped open by a raccoon and a neat little Play Doh container was chewed thoroughly and its content was EATEN. I found some evidence at the other caches that Play Doh was the bait that caused the cache to be destroyed.

I have celiac disease which is a serious aversion to gluten (visit link) and in researching a site recently Play Doh came up in the search! I visited Hasbro's Play Doh site (visit link) and it is confirmed that Play Doh is food and is against the guidelines as acceptable cache contents hence also as usable swag. If you leave Play Doh (the ones I found were the "keychain" variety) in a cache as swag, you are not doing the owner any favors and are likely setting up some maintenance issues. Play Doh is FOOD. Don't use it!

Here is what the Haspro's site said:

The exact ingredients of PLAY-DOH compound are proprietary, so we cannot share them with you. We can tell you that it is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour. It does NOT contain peanuts, peanut oil, or any milk byproducts. It DOES contain wheat.

PLAY-DOH compound is non-toxic, non-irritating & non-allergenic except as noted: Children who are allergic to wheat gluten may have an allergic reaction to this product.

Thanks for pointing this out. You make some very good points. Frankly, I personally find it very hard to believe that cachers would not realize that Play-Doh and similar products are made out of foodstuffs (and would thus attract animals) and that ANY cacher in their right mind would think of leaving any food, much less Play-Doh, in a cache. sigh... double-sigh...

I also find it amazingly hard to believe that some of the latter-day posters keep trying to hijack this discussion into flame-filled tangents about food allergies and food sensitivities. Quite amazing.... I keep wanting to erect a sign here on this thread reading:

I'm sorry if you feel I'm ignorant for not reading the ingredients of a toy. Since I don't make a habit of eating toys, I guess it never occurred to me that this was food. sigh....

The OP brought up the food disease.

Play-Doh and dog biscuit...the ultimate salty-fiber snack...

I like both...eaten both (not that long ago...and only Milk Bone treats!)...

There is nothing wrong with gluten (allergies aside)...that's what Mock Duck is...

Play-doh is a non-food food item...it's probably all the salt that preserves it...just Google (or Ask...or Yahoo) homemade play-doh to see what's in the stuff

again...Play-doh is food (and a nice salty snack)...SoyLent Green is people [among other things (Soybeans & lentils)]...MilkBones are good (dry, but good)...and most of this thread is way off topic...

and I like to use slightly-washed PB containers...with cat-dander and flower-pollen all over the insides...the milk powder i put on the OUTSIDE of the container...

My 4 year old minicacher is happy to assist the geocaching community and our local wildlife by removing every last bit of Play Doh one cache at a time. And yes, it's been a big job, but some little person has to do it. :ph34r:

We also recently found a new wilderness cache that should have been named "HAZARDOUS HYGIENE". Contents: Blueberry Shampoo, Coconut Conditioner, Scented Dental Floss, and Scented Hand Sanitizer. This is in an area frequented by many a four legged cacher including an occasional bear. Hopefully the owner will do a complete cache contents swap or else this caching family will have to take on this smelly job :ph34r:

Have you tried contacting the owner? Maybe they'd be willing to take care of it since technically it's a maintenance issue. If I owned that cache I'd like to know that.

Me too. Yes, the owner has been contacted.

PS Don't worry, if the owner doesn't deal with it, I wouldn't leave the cache empty. I would at least trade up and replace the contents with 4 cans of Play Doh :ph34r:

Edited by private bones

Me too. Yes, the owner has been contacted.

PS Don't worry, if the owner doesn't deal with it, I wouldn't leave the cache empty. I would at least trade up and replace the contents with 4 cans of Play Doh :ph34r:

Ok, cool...I was just curious since you didn't mention it I thought I'd recommend (figured you probably did). That's a nice way to handle it....remove it and replace it. That's what I usually try to do, but sometimes you get out there with no swag left, so you just remove it. I've only seen that once though.