Play Doh as Swag - bad idea

Rattlebars

This came up in another thread (visit link) and I don't want to hijack that thread. Since I got some disagreeable responses to my post in that thread and was admonished because I stated that I remove Play Doh if ever I find it in a cache, I feel this is important enough for it's own thread. I've had to repair four caches because someone put Play Doh in them. One was a very secured ammo box that was ripped open by a raccoon and a neat little Play Doh container was chewed thoroughly and its content was EATEN. I found some evidence at the other caches that Play Doh was the bait that caused the cache to be destroyed.

I have celiac disease which is a serious aversion to gluten (visit link) and in researching a site recently Play Doh came up in the search! I visited Hasbro's Play Doh site (visit link) and it is confirmed that Play Doh is food and is against the guidelines as acceptable cache contents hence also as usable swag. If you leave Play Doh (the ones I found were the "keychain" variety) in a cache as swag, you are not doing the owner any favors and are likely setting up some maintenance issues. Play Doh is FOOD. Don't use it!

Here is what the Haspro's site said:

The exact ingredients of PLAY-DOH compound are proprietary, so we cannot share them with you. We can tell you that it is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour. It does NOT contain peanuts, peanut oil, or any milk byproducts. It DOES contain wheat.

PLAY-DOH compound is non-toxic, non-irritating & non-allergenic except as noted: Children who are allergic to wheat gluten may have an allergic reaction to this product.

I like to use Play Doh as swag in unwashed peanut butter container caches. B)

On a serious note though, I had an electronic cache ripped to shreds by a Black Bear. Mr. Bear left evidence of orange "Fun Dough" all over the ground. That was the last time I used the stuff as swag. I'm not as worried about my ammo cans, but the cache was a plastic container that didn't stand a chance. I still have the plastic owl, with large teeth marks. :huh:

but I trade out anything that smells - candles, soap, etc....as well as food items.

Yep, lately I've been seeing a lot of individually packaged hygiene products (shampoo, body wash, mouth wash). Lousy stuff to leave in caches. They smell. The packaging will fail and make a mess in the cache. And really, who is going to take this out of a cache and use it?

DEET wipes are okay. They smell but it's not an odor that attracts anything, and there's no fluid that will contaminate the entire cache interior.

One was a very secured ammo box that was ripped open by a raccoon and a neat little Play Doh container was chewed thoroughly and its content was EATEN. I found some evidence at the other caches that Play Doh was the bait that caused the cache to be destroyed.

Seriously? A raccoon that could open or gnaw through an ammo can??? That's a really scary sounding raccoon....or maybe this was a plastic ammo box and not one of the more sturdy metal variety?

I usually trade out for scented items like this as well just so that animals aren't tempted to eat into a container. Luckily my daughter still loves play doh, so it's an item that's always welcome in a trade!

I've used Play-Doh several times in my own caches and have NEVER had any troubles (and we have plenty of 'coons around here. Probably because the Play-Doh is taken rather quickly by a youngster wanting something fun to play with.

I've never heard of any problems in this area, you must have some very strong 'coons there!

Seriously? A raccoon that could open or gnaw through an ammo can??? That's a really scary sounding raccoon....

The ammo can didn't have a chance.

Raccoon-bridge--17623.jpg

I hear it followed the scent to a play doh factory and ate that too.

But seriously, I know for a fact that raccoons CAN open .30 cal. ammo cans. Seen it.

Edited by Snoogans

See the Cache Contents section of the Listing Guidelines:

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled.

I am quite strict in asking for the removal of knives, explosives, ammo, and obvious food items when they're listed in the original contents of a cache submitted for review. The cache won't be published until the item is gone, and I have archived caches when the owner has lied about removing the item.

Often overlooked in this guideline text is the parenthetical reference to "items that smell like food." This gives a cache reviewer the authority to ask for the removal of candles, shampoo, etc.... including Play-doh. (And yes, I've also seen the "Play-doh Problem" firsthand.) I am less likely to hold up publication of a new cache over this issue, but I will at least leave a note for the owner saying not to use that type of swag anymore, and to *suggest* that the remove the item or ask an early finder to swap it out.

Note also that this guideline applies to existing caches, too. Theoretically a reviewer could disable any cache with Play-doh inside it, until the owner makes a maintenance visit. Generally we have better things to do with our volunteer time, but if there is a serious problem (hand grenade), we can take action.

See the Cache Contents section of the Listing Guidelines:

Use your common sense in most cases. Explosives, fireworks, ammo, lighters, knives (including pocket knives and multi-tools), drugs, alcohol or other illicit material shouldn't be placed in a cache. As always respect the local laws. Geocaching is a family activity and cache contents should be suitable for all ages.

Food items are ALWAYS a BAD IDEA. Animals have better noses than humans, and in some cases caches have been chewed through and destroyed because food items (or items that smell like food) are in the cache. Even the presence of mint flavored dental floss has led to destruction of one cache.

If the original cache contents list any of the above items or other questionable items, or if a cache is reported to have the questionable items, the cache may be disabled, and the owner of the cache will be contacted and asked to remove the questionable items before the cache is enabled.

I am quite strict in asking for the removal of knives, explosives, ammo, and obvious food items when they're listed in the original contents of a cache submitted for review. The cache won't be published until the item is gone, and I have archived caches when the owner has lied about removing the item.

Often overlooked in this guideline text is the parenthetical reference to "items that smell like food." This gives a cache reviewer the authority to ask for the removal of candles, shampoo, etc.... including Play-doh. (And yes, I've also seen the "Play-doh Problem" firsthand.) I am less likely to hold up publication of a new cache over this issue, but I will at least leave a note for the owner saying not to use that type of swag anymore, and to *suggest* that the remove the item or ask an early finder to swap it out.

Note also that this guideline applies to existing caches, too. Theoretically a reviewer could disable any cache with Play-doh inside it, until the owner makes a maintenance visit. Generally we have better things to do with our volunteer time, but if there is a serious problem (hand grenade), we can take action.

Hey,

Yep...gotta go with this. Anything that smells or looks like food to animal I will swap out of a cache for something more acceptable.

Later,

ArcherDragoon

Note to self, Keystone thinks play-doh smells like food. Don't eat anything that Keystone has prepared. :blink:

:huh:

I recently saw the same problem, apparently caused by the aroma of Carmex lip balm. It doesn't smell like good food, but I guess standards are different for critters in the woods. And I don't think it takes super-strength for a racoon or other curious animal to get into an ammo can. If they pick at the outside of the container long enough, they'll probably pop the latch. After that, just a matter of time...

Edited by Mule Ears
Note to self, Keystone thinks play-doh smells like food. Don't eat anything that Keystone has prepared. :blink:

I recently saw the same problem, apparently caused by the aroma of Carmex lip balm. It doesn't smell like good food, but I guess standards are different for critters in the woods. And I don't think it takes super-strength for a racoon or other curious animal to get into an ammo can. If they pick at the outside of the container long enough, they'll probably pop the latch. After that, just a matter of time...

Are you saying that Keystone likes to eat carmex?

What other gross things does Keystone eat?

If I hiked for 3 hours and the best thing I found was Play-Doh I would not be happy.

~.~Scare Force One

If you're going on a 3 hour hike to find a cache and the only thing that will make you happy is good swag, you're really setting yourself up for disappointment.

My thoughts exactly. I did a 13 mile hike over rough terrain for my 1100th find, and I wasn't interested in trading swag, it was the experience that made it worth while.

If I hiked for 3 hours and the best thing I found was Play-Doh I would not be happy.

~.~Scare Force One

If I hiked for 3 hours (or four, five, eight or even... ten) and the best thing I found was a cache container and a log book I'd be QUITE happy. Who the he|| cares what's in the box?

Fortunately, most players don't rely on what people leave behind to make-or-break the quality of the game for them.

michelle

This came up in another thread (visit link) and I don't want to hijack that thread. Since I got some disagreeable responses to my post in that thread and was admonished because I stated that I remove Play Doh if ever I find it in a cache, I feel this is important enough for it's own thread. I've had to repair four caches because someone put Play Doh in them. One was a very secured ammo box that was ripped open by a raccoon and a neat little Play Doh container was chewed thoroughly and its content was EATEN. I found some evidence at the other caches that Play Doh was the bait that caused the cache to be destroyed.

I have celiac disease which is a serious aversion to gluten (visit link) and in researching a site recently Play Doh came up in the search! I visited Hasbro's Play Doh site (visit link) and it is confirmed that Play Doh is food and is against the guidelines as acceptable cache contents hence also as usable swag. If you leave Play Doh (the ones I found were the "keychain" variety) in a cache as swag, you are not doing the owner any favors and are likely setting up some maintenance issues. Play Doh is FOOD. Don't use it!

Here is what the Haspro's site said:

The exact ingredients of PLAY-DOH compound are proprietary, so we cannot share them with you. We can tell you that it is primarily a mixture of water, salt and flour. It does NOT contain peanuts, peanut oil, or any milk byproducts. It DOES contain wheat.

PLAY-DOH compound is non-toxic, non-irritating & non-allergenic except as noted: Children who are allergic to wheat gluten may have an allergic reaction to this product.

I agree with you entirely in that Play-Doh shouldn't be left as a cache item (but I've seen it several times). However, I've gotta say that tossing in the part about allergies is irrelevant. Some kids are allergic to dadgum near everything. As someone mentioned, peanut-butter containers are (despite the fact that they shouldn't be) a fairly common cache container. I assume they're boiled and/or bleached and whatnot, but who knows... there's nooks and crannies.

Anyhoo... the point I'm getting at with that is that swag shouldn't be reconsidered because of the slight possibility that someone who's allergic might some day handle it maybe. That's as bad as a school around here that forbid all children in the entire school from eating peanut-butter, even at home, because they might not was their hands, and then go to school, and then there's the SLIGHT possibility that it'll get on a doorknob, and then the allergic kid will touch it, and THEN WHAT? Like, no... that's just stupid-ridiculous.

Sorry to derail the topic a bit there... but I just think using 'potentially allergic people' is a really bad reason to not leave a certain swag somewhere.

The playdoh however... yeah, that's always annoyed me. People like to try to cram it into containers it's obviously too big for, and then it doesn't close properly, and there's no room for even the slightest thing else, and the logbook usually gets mangled and wet.

Anyhoo... the point I'm getting at with that is that swag shouldn't be reconsidered because of the slight possibility that someone who's allergic might some day handle it maybe. That's as bad as a school around here that forbid all children in the entire school from eating peanut-butter, even at home, because they might not was their hands, and then go to school, and then there's the SLIGHT possibility that it'll get on a doorknob, and then the allergic kid will touch it, and THEN WHAT? Like, no... that's just stupid-ridiculous.

Sorry to derail the topic a bit there... but I just think using 'potentially allergic people' is a really bad reason to not leave a certain swag somewhere.

Wow, I had to look to see where you lived... We have that same asinine issue going on here at the junior-high-school level. ONE kid has a parent who's crazy as a loon and wants all PB banned b/c her kid is allergic. (They can only do some heavy-handed suggestion as to leaving it at home, but can't ban it.)

Unfortunately for the mother, there are PLENTY of other nut-allergic kids at that school and, next year, at the high school who have managed just fine with their nut-allergies... she doesn't have a leg to stand on.

I'm trying to figure out where I can place myself best within the system (just who do I need to get to know?) to make sure I have a 'heard' opinion when she gets there next year and starts complaining about her poor little trog and how he might die. :blink:

Back to the topic at hand:

While swag-left is of little importance to me, I will remove things that obviously should NOT be in the cache container as long as I don't have to dig through the box contents. I am not sure why it's such a hard concept for a lot of cachers to NOT leave edible items and items with an odor in the cache. The whole 'reason' behind a lot of that is that THEY say can't smell it... therefore it doesn't smell.

Riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. Must be a nice world you live in there. (Are these the same people who wear so much cologne and/or perfume that you get a headache and your vision starts blurring from the fumes?)

Keep that crap OUT of the cache containers! (Why is that so difficult?)

michelle

I don't think it necessarily would need to smell like something "edible" for an animal to get into it. Animals also use their urine to mark their territory. The carmex and such may not smell like something to eat, but make the animal feel threatened and they could then attack the cache in defense. Most animals also use their mouths to explore the world around them, so it could also be that their curiosity was sparked by the smell. Think of how some dogs "greet" people by aiming for their privates. I don't think food is necessarily on their minds.

Studies have shown that deer can smell up to a mile away, bear up to three miles. Coytoes are somewhere inbetween and can smell things under a foot of snow.

I think a good idea would be to make a nice big list of items that are a bad idea to use as swag because of scent and make it a sticky to put in the forums. I know there are some things that are stickied, but they're all lumped into one group and that keeps people from reading it because of it's size. If the sticky just had the titile "Poor swag choices" or similar, it might help. I doubt people put items in maliciously, they just don't stop and think about it.

Edited to add: It might also be a good idea to make the list for the website as well. I know some examples are listed in the guidelines, but a comprehensive list could be helpful. You don't always think about an item's scent and people might be trying to follow the guidelines and not realize that something they're putting in smells.

Edited by elmuyloco5

Really? I'm always surprised by adults who care that much about the swag. As an adult, I hike for the sake of the hike, and the views. And, if there is a cache, then for the fun of the hunt.

It is the kids who I find usually need the motivation of "cool swag" to help them enjoy the experience more.

Rattlebars is 100% correct about Play-doh. It's contents are really nothing more than a type of unbaked bread, ie water, salt, flour and wheat. To an animal it's nothing more than another bit of food.

As Kabuthunk posted and from the Hasbro website:

What are the ingredients in PLAY-DOH compound?

Edited by Wadcutter

I used some play-doh as swag, early on in my caching experience. Not long after that, the one cache I had left the play-doh in was found scattered across the corner of the park. The tupperware container had been in that park for years before I found it. The owner thought it was destroyed kids, and archived the cache. I think I caused it by leaving the play-doh. and I said so on the cache page. I didn't leave play-doh anywhere else after that.

Not long ago, I found some carmex in an ammo can. Well, I found a tube that used to hold carmex...and an ammo can full of swag that had a slightly greasy feel and smelled like carmex. I can't imagine that I would have trusted the carmex to use it anyway, even if it hadn't been melted all through the can. I cleaned it out as best I could and left a note for the cache owner.

Not longer after that, I found a lock n lock with one corner chewed off. It had rodent-chewed scented candles in it when I found it (which had laso melted and warped in the heat), and packets of lemon scented handi-wipes, also chewed through.

So I agree that scented things shouldn't go into caches. It can cause problems inside and outside the container.

~.~Scare Force One

If you're going on a 3 hour hike to find a cache and the only thing that will make you happy is good swag, you're really setting yourself up for disappointment.

If I hiked for 3 hours and all I found in the cache was Play-doh, I'd be glad to have found lunch!!

Studies have shown that deer can smell up to a mile away, bear up to three miles. Coytoes are somewhere inbetween and can smell things under a foot of snow.

I think a good idea would be to make a nice big list of items that are a bad idea to use as swag because of scent and make it a sticky to put in the forums. I know there are some things that are stickied, but they're all lumped into one group and that keeps people from reading it because of it's size. If the sticky just had the titile "Poor swag choices" or similar, it might help. I doubt people put items in maliciously, they just don't stop and think about it.

Edited to add: It might also be a good idea to make the list for the website as well. I know some examples are listed in the guidelines, but a comprehensive list could be helpful. You don't always think about an item's scent and people might be trying to follow the guidelines and not realize that something they're putting in smells.

Creating a comprehensive list is an impossibility... along with getting people to read it.

One of my fave previous 'non-food' discussion was regarding leaving dog treats in a cache. You know, it's for dogs. It makes them happy... and it's not HUMAN food, so it's ok, right?

michelle

I lament the apparent departure of common sense, which is quite possibly one of the foundational requirements of liberty.

An inablility to apply common sense and use judgement given a rough set of guidelines could very possibly result in the demise of our beloved Geocaching hobby. :laughing:

Creating a comprehensive list is an impossibility... along with getting people to read it.

One of my fave previous 'non-food' discussion was regarding leaving dog treats in a cache. You know, it's for dogs. It makes them happy... and it's not HUMAN food, so it's ok, right?

michelle

Actually, your dog biscuits would fit into my idea.....I never said "food" items, I said items that were a poor choice due to their scent. A comprehensive list, at least a more comprehensive one than is in the guidelines, is completely possible as everyone would contribute to it things that they have found to have problems. I'm sure there are items that some of us wouldn't think of.

We have parrots and they have very delicate respiratory systems. Many items that you wouldn't even imagine have toxic fumes or chemicals that could kill or seriously harm the birds. The board we belong to has done the same type idea by making as comprehensive of a list as possible, and allows members to post items that they found from other sources. Certainly you can't force people to read it, but if you supply it and make it quite visible, chances are most people will. However, like I said, you would need to have it readily available at the website as well because not ever cacher gets involved with the forum.

Edited to add: Yes some people feel that most of these items we discuss are obvious "no-nos" and common sense would dictate. But, I'm sure everyone is familiar with the old adage "If common sense were common, everyone would have it". My point is, I don't think these people are placing these objects with the intent to damage property, but are ignorant of the fact that the item could attract animals.

Edited by elmuyloco5
I agree with you entirely in that Play-Doh shouldn't be left as a cache item (but I've seen it several times). However, I've gotta say that tossing in the part about allergies is irrelevant.

I didn't "toss" it in. It was in the quote from Hasbro. Wheat can KILL ME, but I remove play doh from caches as a matter of practice. But the "toss' wasn't mine, it was Hasbro's.

However, maybe a view from the other side..... well, never mind, that would hijack this thread entirely.

But seriously, I know for a fact that raccoons CAN open .30 cal. ammo cans. Seen it.

open? or chew threw??

I've seen raccons open multiple latched cooler, but I never knew they could eat steel.

Open. No one said they could chew through an ammo can. The original quote was:

One was a very secured ammo box that was ripped open by a raccoon and a neat little Play Doh container was chewed thoroughly and its content was EATEN.

The ammo box was OPENED and then the Play Doh container was CHEWED (and its contents eaten).

ONE kid has a parent who's crazy as a loon and wants all PB banned b/c her kid is allergic. (They can only do some heavy-handed suggestion as to leaving it at home, but can't ban it.)

Hmmmm guess that is the unfortunate part of where I live. They HAVE outright banned PB in our local schools. My daughter had a maple spread sandwhich (I know not the healthyest) taken away because it "looked like PB" to the lunch room supervisor. I was not impressed :laughing:

open? or chew threw??

I've seen raccons open multiple latched cooler, but I never knew they could eat steel.

One was a very secured ammo box that was ripped open by a raccoon and a neat little Play Doh container was chewed thoroughly and its content was EATEN.

The ammo box was OPENED and then the Play Doh container was CHEWED (and its contents eaten).

Generally I think when people say 'ripped out' (Such as a 'ripped open' bag of potato chips) they are not meaning it was opened in the normal reasonable fashion. but thanks for POINTING OuT WhAt ThE pOsT sAiD :laughing: .

ONE kid has a parent who's crazy as a loon and wants all PB banned b/c her kid is allergic. (They can only do some heavy-handed suggestion as to leaving it at home, but can't ban it.)
Hmmmm guess that is the unfortunate part of where I live. They HAVE outright banned PB in our local schools. My daughter had a maple spread sandwhich (I know not the healthyest) taken away because it "looked like PB" to the lunch room supervisor. I was not impressed :laughing:
I hope you ate his lunch (pun intended).

QUOTE(KoosKoos @ Nov 8 2007, 07:52 AM)

QUOTE(Scare Force One @ Nov 8 2007, 06:44 AM)

~.~Scare Force One

I totally agree. Sure, swag is great. I have some great stuff that I found in caches. But what about those micros? No room for swag there.

open? or chew threw??

Generally I think when people say 'ripped out' (Such as a 'ripped open' bag of potato chips) they are not meaning it was opened in the normal reasonable fashion. but thanks for POINTING OuT WhAt ThE pOsT sAiD -_- .

Oh, the ammo box was "ripped" open to be sure. Found the lid 20 feet away from the box part. But, of course, it was opened in the "nromal" fashion but VIOLENTLY so maybe I should have said that. Found the chewed Play Doh container ( a little tupperware affair with a chain ) among all the other swag strewn around a thirty foot radius. Just a lttle common sense would tell you that the ammo box was not "chewed", but I have seen metal chewed containers of lesser grade steel/aluminum than that of which an ammo box is made.

Oh, the ammo box was "ripped" open to be sure. Found the lid 20 feet away from the box part. But, of course, it was opened in the "normal" fashion but VIOLENTLY so maybe I should have said that. Found the chewed Play Doh container ( a little tupperware affair with a chain ) among all the other swag strewn around a thirty foot radius. Just a little common sense would tell you that the ammo box was not "chewed"...

Are you sure this guy didn't get to it?

godzilla.jpg

~.~Scare Force One

We took our boat out up North after a 7 hour drive going to the cottage and hit the lake to head out to a seemingly innocent island so we could place a cache that was not listed yet on GC.com. We blew up the inflatable and threw it overboard, climbed in and rowed out to it, climber onto the rocks... climbed a nasty rocky face to the top to place a cache only to find a film canister that was NOT marked on GC.com with a log in it. Signed log and went down, ammo box in tow.

Disappointing I couldn't leave a cache there. Very VERY happy to sign a log book. (F&B Factory if you read this please post something about your cache!) Friend moved up there and went through all this to find the cache. It's gone now...

Be prepared for a nice cache in North Bay next summer :laughing: As for going through hell for a cache, it's worth it. Play-Do or no Play-Do. If I can sign a log I am a happy cacher.

But this topic brings up an interesting point. I am planning on using a plastic peanut container that has been washed. Do you think it is a bad idea? Does that count as an inappropriate cache?

Edited by Storm_Shadow
Oh, the ammo box was "ripped" open to be sure. Found the lid 20 feet away from the box part. But, of course, it was opened in the "normal" fashion but VIOLENTLY so maybe I should have said that. Found the chewed Play Doh container ( a little tupperware affair with a chain ) among all the other swag strewn around a thirty foot radius. Just a little common sense would tell you that the ammo box was not "chewed"...

Are you sure this guy didn't get to it?

0bfcc53f-995c-4d8b-9c11-cbd515f544d0.jpg

Or maybe this guy?

I agree with you entirely in that Play-Doh shouldn't be left as a cache item (but I've seen it several times). However, I've gotta say that tossing in the part about allergies is irrelevant.

I didn't "toss" it in. It was in the quote from Hasbro. Wheat can KILL ME, but I remove play doh from caches as a matter of practice. But the "toss' wasn't mine, it was Hasbro's.

However, maybe a view from the other side..... well, never mind, that would hijack this thread entirely.

While I agree with the sentiment that Play-Doh has no business in caches as a fellow inflicted Celiac it's kind of intellectually irresponsible representation to pull the "Wheat can KILL ME" card.

While I agree with the sentiment that Play-Doh has no business in caches as a fellow inflicted Celiac it's kind of intellectually irresponsible representation to pull the "Wheat can KILL ME" card.

Technically, it's not wheat that could kill you but gluten. And if you eat ONLY wheat all day (which would be STUPID), you still won't die. You might get cancer, but that's about it. Get your fill of veggies, fruits, meats, geocaching, and gluten-free foods; you'll be just fine.

Edited by meralgia