multi-cache vandalized

hmm weird, I don't see the message that I wrote, let me write it again, just in case..

Today I went to a multi cache(3), and when I got to the second one, it was laying in the ground in plain view with the canister crushed and nothing inside. I could get to the 3rd one because I didin't have the coordinates, they were suppost to be on the 2nd cache.

My question: how should I log this entry? as found , not found? archived, need mantainance?

help please

ok , what does archived means? if the owner never goes back to the cache it gets archived?? also what happens if they steal the logbook , can you place a new one? it's not fair for the people who already visited the cache.

thanks

newbie with lots of questions!

Edited by shootingstar7

Log it as a Did Not Find. You looked and (due to vandalism) - you did not find it.

That's the way I would do it.

Also log a Needs Maintenance - just because it does.

I would do this, too, as long as I was reasonably certain that the cannister that I found laying on the ground with nothing in it was actually the second stage container, and not just a random cannister that I found laying on the ground with nothing in it.

Log it as a Did Not Find. You looked and (due to vandalism) - you did not find it.

Also log a Needs Maintenance - just because it does.

Exactly what I would do. A DNF because you did not find the cache and a Needs Maintenance, because it needs maintenance.

BTW, not a getting started issue so moving to the general forum.

I don't agree. I would not log it as a DNF just because its not there. You didnt find it for a reason......because its not there.....and acually...if you found container but no logbook...then you really found it.....it just didnt have a logbook in it and it needs maintanace. I would log it as a note of ...needs maint.

I don't agree. I would not log it as a DNF just because its not there. You didnt find it for a reason......because its not there.....and acually...if you found container but no logbook...then you really found it.....it just didnt have a logbook in it and it needs maintanace. I would log it as a note of ...needs maint.

It was the second stage of a multi, there would not have been a logbook, only the coords to the third stage. The third stage was not found and the logbook was not signed; ergo, it's either leave a note or a DNF. In either case, I agree about the 'needs maintenance'. Definitely do that. ;)

I don't agree.

You didnt find it for a reason...

What?

There's always a reason for not finding it.

-- it's not there

-- it's there but too well hidden for me to find

-- it's there but I stupidly put the wrong coordinates in my GPS

-- I just gave up

-- it's there but it's covered by ice and frozen in place

-- it might be there but there are too many people for me to extract it

-- it's right near where it used to be but it fell down behind something or rolled under something, out of reach

-- it's ten feet off the ground, and I'm not

No matter what the reason, no matter if it's there or not, if I didn't find it, it's a DNF.

I agree with all the other people who agreed with each other already.

Edited by the hermit crabs

What?

-- it's not there

-- I just gave up

-- it's right near where it used to be but it fell down behind something or rolled under something

No matter what the reason, no matter if it's there or not, if I didn't find it, it's a DNF.

I agree with your agreement with all the other people who agreed with each other already.

Posting a DNF does not make you a lesser cacher. :) I've never understood this frame of mind. But everyone plays differently I guess. :)

What?

-- it's not there

-- I just gave up

-- it's right near where it used to be but it fell down behind something or rolled under something

I agree with your agreement with all the other people who agreed with each other already.

I agree with your agreement with the agreement of all the other people who agreed with each other's agreements. :)

I'd log a DNF and needs maintenance.

I'd definitely do a Needs Maintenance. I might or might not do a separate note or DNF. A DNF would be best, I guess, for quickly conveying to others that it's not worth hunting at the moment. It's possible for a cache to be findable but still need maintenance; a DNF followed by a NM would indicate that that's not so.

Unless you are 100% sure this was the container then I would log a DNF and suggest it needs maintenance. I would take pictures of what I found and post it for the owner just in case it really is the container. If its not and you just didn't find it (because you thought you found the container).... its a DNF.

I have DNFs for this very reason. All but 1 I was wrong on. The rest were there but I missed them on my own. The other was actually the cache that I found (but it was the log with all the signatures strewn out on the ground)... still logged a DNF because I did not find the cache. I found the log hehehehe