NW Caching October through March

Sytar

Does anyone else find it a lot more difficult to go caching in the winter? I noticed that once I get off work it is dark, and the weekend always seem to be busy.

I have done some caches in the dark, but most just seem a bit strange to be creeping around in the dark with or without a flashlight in neighborhoods or parks.

I like caching in the winter. The days are shorter, but there are fewer muggles to watch out for and as someone has already said, reception is better under trees without leaves. Darkness doesn't need to be a deterrent, either. There are some local hiking/caching groups that go on a weekly hike after work all year round. In winter, they put their layers of clothing on, strap on their head lamps, and hit the trail. They hike in the dark all through the winter, but not in urban areas.

I like caching in the winter. The days are shorter, but there are fewer muggles to watch out for and as someone has already said, reception is better under trees without leaves

So far I've been loving these two points.

And the bugs. Lots less of them too. =)

And don't forget about being able to walk on top of the snow right over those nasty bushwhacks.

I like caching in the winter. The days are shorter, but there are fewer muggles to watch out for and as someone has already said, reception is better under trees without leaves

And don't forget about being able to walk on top of the snow right over those nasty bushwhacks.

Why, whatever made you think of that..... :blink:

Why, whatever made you think of that..... :mad:

:laughing: LOL. I turned down an opportunity to do that cache last year when I saw this:

89eea206-ae77-46ae-9c25-d84fdbe52012.jpg

Just thought I'd chime in here -I thought this was the evergreen state -our pine trees (out in Eastern WA) don't drop their needles in the winter like deciduous trees, but reception is pretty good year round :) And the bugs are never bad here, even in the summer! :) But caching is great in central wa this time of year -no snakes and it's not burning hot... just the roads can be challenging. Have fun out there!

Edited by Lookout Lisa

I think my biggest problem is trying to be stealthy.. a bit hard to do that when climbing out from under a bridge, or in the woods digging in the bushes with a flashlight, seems like it is enough to get the cops called on you. [:blink:]

I use the rubber ball technique. Keep one in your pocket and if you get caught just say you were looking for your ball then pull it out of your pocket. Of course you will have to make up some story about working on hand/eye coordination which will get a laugh because obviously you need some if it bounced under a bridge. Peace, Nolenator

Edited by nolenator

Why, whatever made you think of that..... :laughing:

Seems to me I remember a couple of people quoted above romping through a swamp in the winter and in the dark with flashlights no less!! A quarter mile trek with no trail and tons of brush.

I never heard a complaint from any that have tried it this way.

LOL you are right, but some days (like today) the wind and rain are a little to cold for me. And my hot cup of tea, and playing with GSAK sounds so much warmer!

As we've said many times (mostly about bicycling, but it fits here too) it harder to think about caching in the rain, then it is to cache in the rain. When you're warm and dry, looking out at the rain makes it seem much worse, than if it starts to rain while you're out there (if you have a rain coat along, of course - but then, that's one of the 10 essentials, so you never go without it...).

Why, whatever made you think of that..... :)

Seems to me I remember a couple of people quoted above romping through a swamp in the winter and in the dark with flashlights no less!! A quarter mile trek with no trail and tons of brush.

I never heard a complaint from any that have tried it this way.

I seem to remember a swamp monster jumping out at us, too. :( Scary good fun!

Would there be a good resource, like a bookmark list or webpage, that lists mountain caches that are generally accessible during this stretch of months? I'm just getting into hitting the mountains and *loving* it, but honestly am not familiar enough with the area to know what might be accessible or not.

Currently, I'm trying to read recent logs on potential caches to visit or scanning caches recently visited by area cachers who seem find themselves up on a mountain every weekend. Either that or I hit the mountains that I know to be ok.

If there's anything out there that sounds like it might be useful, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Would there be a good resource, like a bookmark list or webpage, that lists mountain caches that are generally accessible during this stretch of months? I'm just getting into hitting the mountains and *loving* it, but honestly am not familiar enough with the area to know what might be accessible or not.

Currently, I'm trying to read recent logs on potential caches to visit or scanning caches recently visited by area cachers who seem find themselves up on a mountain every weekend. Either that or I hit the mountains that I know to be ok.

If there's anything out there that sounds like it might be useful, it'd be greatly appreciated!

Tiger and Squak Mtns are usually a safe bet and there's lots of caches on them. Tiger alone could keep you busy for most of the winter, but know that a few trails on the east side of the mountain are currently closed for the season. The Iverson Railroad Trail, Northwest Timber Trail, and the Preston Railroad Grade Trail are all closed from Oct 15 - April 15.

Tiger and Squak Mtns are usually a safe bet and there's lots of caches on them. Tiger alone could keep you busy for most of the winter, but know that a few trails on the east side of the mountain are currently closed for the season. The Iverson Railroad Trail, Northwest Timber Trail, and the Preston Railroad Grade Trail are all closed from Oct 15 - April 15.

Tiger, Squak, and Rattlesnake are the ones that I currently know to be ok. There's also McDonald I guess as a cache was just published there. I appreciate the note about trails being closed as I was unaware and was actually planning to do more of Tiger before the end of the year.

Hydnsek had a Snowshoe bookmark list if that is something you're interested in.

And if you would like to participate in a group outing TotemLake has his Hike of the Month thread too.

Tiger, Squak, and Rattlesnake are the ones that I currently know to be ok. There's also McDonald I guess as a cache was just published there. I appreciate the note about trails being closed as I was unaware and was actually planning to do more of Tiger before the end of the year.

There are still lots and lots of trails on Tiger so don't let a couple of closed trails stop you from exploring the mountain.

FYI a Green Trails map is a really hand thing to have if you want to do some Tiger Mountain exploring.

And if you would like to participate in a group outing TotemLake has his Hike of the Month thread too.

I checked out the snowshoe bookmark list and am hoping to be able to try some of these out (need some shoes first though). Might check out the Hike of the Month, although I'm looking for more of a at least every other weekend :-)

Thanks!

There are still lots and lots of trails on Tiger so don't let a couple of closed trails stop you from exploring the mountain.

FYI a Green Trails map is a really hand thing to have if you want to do some Tiger Mountain exploring.

I picked up one of the IATC maps at REI and also use Moun10Bikes GPX file of the trail system, both of which have come in *super* handy. There are a ton of trails up there!

Don't forget Cougar Mtn, the third of the Issaquah Alps, and home to King County's largest park. I think you've done a few caches there already, but there are lots.

Don't forget Cougar Mtn, the third of the Issaquah Alps, and home to King County's largest park. I think you've done a few caches there already, but there are lots.

Cougar is great! I'll actually be out there a bit this coming weekend. Hoping to park near The 39 Steps and then head over to Squak. My soon-to-not-be-Muggle brother is determined to do Crazy Monkey Tripod so he can laugh at me and my fear of heights.

I had hoped to make it further out into Cougar last weekend, but spent *far* too much time not finding Big Sky Cache.

I checked out the snowshoe bookmark list and am hoping to be able to try some of these out (need some shoes first though). Might check out the Hike of the Month, although I'm looking for more of a at least every other weekend :-)

Thanks!

I hear REI rents out snowshoes at reasonable rates if you are a member.

I just did 5 caches tonight in the Lake Cushman- Mt. Ellinor area tonight. I love caching at night and the snow was a bonus too. :D

I bushwhacked 1/4 mile down a 60° slope to get one cache that was disabled because the trail has some missing bridges and lots of downed trees below it. I was pleased to be able to tell the owner her cache was high and dry and the bridge to get to it was still good too.

Thanks!

That's great! Don't let my schedule stop ya from creating a hike to go to! Feel free to use th HOTM to create another hike folks can go to. You can also use my bookmark list to get some ideas. I haven't been disappointed with any of the hikes.