Aaargh! Techie nightmare TomTom/Bluetooth GPS

Alibags

I am hoping that somebody out there may be able to assist me as I am stuck. I just cannot get my PDA to communicate with my bluetooth GPS at all. It used to work, but I let the batteries go flat on my PDA and had to re-install TomTom, and it's not worked ever since... well, TT works but it does not see my GPS. It sees Tony's GPS (a bluetooth TT GPS) okay :(

Here's what I am using

PDA = Pocket Loox Running pocket windows 2003

TomTom v6

the gps is a Cellink BTG-7000 (manual is useless and doesn't tell me anything).

I got the PDA to see the GPS and attempt to pair with it, but then it asks me for a security code. There is no code available in the manual for the GPS, so I assume you just type in any old thing. Well, nothing I type seems to help.

If anybody has any tricks and wheezes for getting recalcitrant GPSs and PDAs to play nicely together, I would be pleased to give them a try....

Edited by Alibags

Try 1111 as the bluetooth code.

That's the default number for mine (but that's a Fortuna, so probably won't be any help to you at all - but it's worth a go)

Globalsat default BT code is 0000, so maybe worth a try if 1111 doesn't get things talking. I also found that you need to go into Settings/System/Bluetooth and make sure both "Inbound" and "Outbout" COM ports are ticked.

Cheers,

Jon.

I am hoping that somebody out there may be able to assist me as I am stuck. I just cannot get my PDA to communicate with my bluetooth GPS at all. It used to work, but I let the batteries go flat on my PDA and had to re-install TomTom, and it's not worked ever since... well, TT works but it does not see my GPS. It sees Tony's GPS (a bluetooth TT GPS) okay :(

Here's what I am using

TomTom v6

I got the PDA to see the GPS and attempt to pair with it, but then it asks me for a security code. There is no code available in the manual for the GPS, so I assume you just type in any old thing. Well, nothing I type seems to help.

If anybody has any tricks and wheezes for getting recalcitrant GPSs and PDAs to play nicely together, I would be pleased to give them a try....

Default bluetooth code is usually 0000

This review linky says that the gps needs to have a lock otherwise the PDA won't recognise it - is that the problem? There are also a couple of other quirks there which might help

It used to work, but I let the batteries go flat on my PDA and had to re-install TomTom, and it's not worked ever since...

Once you get it working again, I'd strongly recommend you do a system backup (to the storage card), to allow you to easily restore all software and settings should the batteries ever be allowed to drain again.

Cheers,

jon.

Woo Hoo, success! The passcode was 1234, but I tried that last night and it didn't work. I did a soft reset on my PDA and started again from scratch. Configuring TomTom I learned that you have to chose the OUTBOUND COM port and not in INBOUND one as you might imagine. I have just been standing outside acquiring satellites and managed to get it all working nicely together. Thanks for your help. Creating this post obviously did the trick!

I am going to make a back up of my PDA onto my PC and a backup of my SD card too. I will investigate what actually gets backed up with a 'system backup'.

Thanks again!

I am hoping that somebody out there may be able to assist me as I am stuck. I just cannot get my PDA to communicate with my bluetooth GPS at all. It used to work, but I let the batteries go flat on my PDA and had to re-install TomTom, and it's not worked ever since... well, TT works but it does not see my GPS. It sees Tony's GPS (a bluetooth TT GPS) okay :huh:

Here's what I am using

TomTom v6

This is exactly why I got rid of my Ipaq about 18 months ago. I bought it thinking it would be

1. Better than my paper diary.

2. able to run TomTom.

3. Allow me to do e-mails, albeit offline.

4. Allow me to modify MS-Office docs on the run.

2, 3 & 4 were ok.

Trying to flick through a PPC diary is rubbish compared to a standard paper pocket diary.

And to top it off, if the battery goes anywhere near flat, or if you dropped it from more than 2 inches, the bloody thing would hard reset.

I just got so miffed off with having to restore from my backup.

Sorry for the mini-hijack.

I am hoping that somebody out there may be able to assist me as I am stuck. I just cannot get my PDA to communicate with my bluetooth GPS at all. It used to work, but I let the batteries go flat on my PDA and had to re-install TomTom, and it's not worked ever since... well, TT works but it does not see my GPS. It sees Tony's GPS (a bluetooth TT GPS) okay :huh:

Here's what I am using

TomTom v6

This is exactly why I got rid of my Ipaq about 18 months ago. I bought it thinking it would be

1. Better than my paper diary.

2. able to run TomTom.

3. Allow me to do e-mails, albeit offline.

4. Allow me to modify MS-Office docs on the run.

2, 3 & 4 were ok.

Trying to flick through a PPC diary is rubbish compared to a standard paper pocket diary.

And to top it off, if the battery goes anywhere near flat, or if you dropped it from more than 2 inches, the bloody thing would hard reset.

I just got so miffed off with having to restore from my backup.

Sorry for the mini-hijack.

Agreed - I've got 2 - 6910 and 6340...you sure get used to flicking the reset switch often!