Archiving a brand new cache

MaplessInSeattle

I recently set up our first cache.

It is located in a pile of tires in the middle of a heavily wooded park.

However, I am considering archiving it. (it is less than a week old)

Two reasons:

1) To get the area cleaned up. I've talked to parks dept, and if i can haul out the tires, battery, metal and other trash, they will haul them away and dispose of them.

2) If I do remove/archive this cache, I can do a very nice multi, using a nearby waypoint, that I would not be able to otherwise use, due to saturation rules.

Can I get some opinions on this?

Be mindful of the cache permanence guideline. A cache is expected to last for three months. Putting out a cache, then archiving it a week later to place a different one in the same area, seems contrary to this listing guideline. Give your cache three months (per the guideline) and encourage folks to do CITO while visiting. Then, re-evaluate.

EDIT to add: is the "nearby waypoint" for your planned multicache a virtual waypoint, with no container? If so, you needn't worry about the cache saturation guideline.

Edited by Keystone

Old tires collect water, and become a breeding ground for mosquitoes. Perhaps after clearing out the area, you can find a close-by location for the cache, and wouldn't have to archive it.

Well, it's called Tired in NSP for a reason

and the tires are part of the clues

once I remove them, the clues and the whole scenario becomes moot.

Re other poster:

I spoke to local admin, who mentioned archiving may be my only solution.

They were aware of the age of the cache.

I guess better to get it when it only has one find, and no one is seeking it. Than to wait until it's an established point.

On the plus side, I could take lots of pictures and make it a waymark or something.

"Here used to lie the great tire mountain. Removed by Geocachers."

A pile of dirty old tires is not my idea of the kind of area I would want to visit and search for a cache. Pardon me for saying so, but in the beautiful state of Washington I'm sure you could have done better.

Yes thank you

Hindsight is 20/20

The location used to be a home, a very long time ago. As are many of the locations in the park. So there are tons of random objects that don't belong in a PacNorthWest Scenario.

However as the topic stated, I am curious about removal/archiving of the cache, not my mistake at choosing a bad spot as an inexperienced geocacher.

The next two geocaches we have planned are in much more typical PacNortWest areas.

But thank you for the random input.

The first one we put out wasn't a very good choice either. The location was great, but while the container has held up, it seems to be a poor choice in our eyes. Now, our cache, like yours, has a name based on a part of the cache that we plan to change (in our case, the container). It may have to have the coordinates altered a bit for the new larger container. I was told that I could change coordinates, and my container, and the name without archiving it. Maybe I got poor info, but you should look into it. If the info I got was good, you should be able to clean up and move it to a better local as long as it's within proximity rules for other caches.

I think CITO is ALWAYS the best option, not how long your cache has been there.

Edited by elmuyloco5

The first one we put out wasn't a very good choice either. The location was great, but while the container has held up, it seems to be a poor choice in our eyes. Now, our cache, like yours, has a name based on a part of the cache that we plan to change (in our case, the container). It may have to have the coordinates altered a bit for the new larger container. I was told that I could change coordinates, and my container, and the name without archiving it. Maybe I got poor info, but you should look into it. If the info I got was good, you should be able to clean up and move it to a better local as long as it's within proximity rules for other caches.

I think CITO is ALWAYS the best option, not how long your cache has been there.

Hmmn, If your information is correct. This would be an excellent solution. Solving all of the problems involved.

We can clean the park, keep the cache, hide it better, and even increase the container size to allow people to exchange items if they wish.

I'll have to ask TPTB.

Thank you.

We archived it, there were just too many variables that wouldn't mesh.

What a crappy way to learn our lesson about proper planning.

Edited by MaplessInSeattle