Seasonal cache

ONEWAY_DK

Hey everyone i had an idea for a seasonal cache but not sure if it is legal or ok with the guide lines see every year i decorate my house with alot of christmas lights and i mean alot something like maybe 10 15 thousand. and i thought it would be a good way to share my lights with eveyone if i hid a cache along my fence or somewhere at my house during the christmas season so people could come enjoy my lights and get a cache at the same time but the thing is i dont want the cache there for the hole year i want to be able to just do it around the christmas season and disable it or remove it till next year so i dont always have people lurking around my house so can neone tell e how i would be able to do that if i can do that thanks everyone

team GPS

Edited by the_gps_squad

. . . . ..i thought it would be a good way to share my lights with eveyone if i hid a cache along my fence or somewhere at my house during the christmas season so people could come enjoy my lights and get a cache at the same time but the thing is i dont want the cache there for the hole year i want to be able to just do it around the christmas season . . . .

I think that is an awesome idea. :P:( I would definately go for that cache if I was in the area.

Here is another idea if that one does turn out to be a no-no. Maybe make it a caching event with hot chocolate at one coordinate,marshmallows at another, selected carols somewhere else. . . you know . . . the WORKS!

Have Fun!

Edited by scorpio_dark

Hey everyone i had an idea for a seasonal cache but not sure if it is legal or ok with the guide lines see every year i decorate my house with alot of christmas lights and i mean alot something like maybe 10 15 thousand. and i thought it would be a good way to share my lights with eveyone if i hid a cache along my fence or somewhere at my house during the christmas season so people could come enjoy my lights and get a cache at the same time but the thing is i dont want the cache there for the hole year i want to be able to just do it around the christmas season and disable it or remove it till next year so i dont always have people lurking around my house so can neone tell e how i would be able to do that if i can do that thanks everyone

team GPS

team GPS

team GPS

Seasonal caches are fine. In your case the reason for the cache is the display. With the display gone...there isn't much reason for the cache. When it comes to permanence you may have an issue. Your cache may be up year after year meeting one definition of permanence but if may only be up for 2 months at a time not meeting the other and more restrictive defintion.

sry for the repeat post but what if i took a cache and made it then whem my lights came down would it be ok to chnge the cords and put it somewhere els or is that a no no?

Changing the coordinates twice a year would be a "no no". But nothing's wrong with placing a legitimate, permanent cache within site of your house... even in the front yard. People will be able to search for and find the cache all year long, but you can mention in the description that the best time to search is November-December.

Seasonal caches are fine. In your case the reason for the cache is the display. With the display gone...there isn't much reason for the cache. When it comes to permanence you may have an issue. Your cache may be up year after year meeting one definition of permanence but if may only be up for 2 months at a time not meeting the other and more restrictive defintion.

Hmm... There's a house down the block with a broken reindeer on the porch roof. It's been there for years! :laughing: And, I've certainly seen less interesting cache placements...

But, I'll agree: This does not sound like a cache with a presumpion of permanance.

I recently posted a topic about a seasonal cache idea i had i am not sure what the responses ment but my idea was to place a cache outside my house during the christmas season so people would come vist my lights and share the joy of christmas to cachers the problem i have is that during the off season i dont want people to me wondering around the out side of my house not noing who they are or what they are doing so agian i ask is a cache that is only there for 2 months a no no out of the 12 months of the year i really want to do this one but am not sure how to do it with out geting introble ;) please someone give me a place to get permison to do this cache or something as my lights are almost half way complete thank you for your time i still dont understand the persumption of permanace? is this cahce ok or not? i dont see why it wouldn't be but someone please explain to me alittle bit clearer

Under the guidelines see cache permanence.

Cache Permanence

When you report a cache on the Geocaching.com web site, geocachers should (and will) expect the cache to be there for a realistic and extended period of time. Therefore, caches that have the goal to move (“traveling caches”), or temporary caches (caches hidden for less than 3 months or for events) most likely will not be published. If you wish to hide caches for an event, bring printouts to the event and hand them out there.

We realize that it is possible that a planned long-term cache occasionally becomes finite because of concerns with the environment, missing or plundered caches, or the owner’s decision to remove the cache for other valid reasons. Please do your best to research fully, hide wisely, and maintain properly for a long cache life

(bolding is mine)

You did read the guidelines didn't you.....???

Look at the bottom of a recently published nearby cache. The first log should say "published" by reviewer XX.

Click on their name and send them an email through their profile page.

Expect the answer to be no if you only want the cache to remain in place for two months. You have already been quoted the cache permanence guideline. I'm pretty sure there is a Waymarking.com category for seasonal light displays though.

Edited by wimseyguy

A simple way to solve the seasonal cache:

Have it multi-staged. First cache gives 2 different choices, one for November->January that would be the coordinates for the holiday display, another for a non-holiday cache location. You could clearly state in note form that the first cache (the holiday one) is seasonal and from when to when.