Moving existing cache to another location...

swaninwa

Hi there,

My brother wants to rescue a cache that needs to be moved. A while back I saw some guidelines as to how far you could move an existing cache -- but I can't seem to find them now. Can anyone refresh my memory about this? I know the location of the cache, and I think he's going to have to move it quite a ways (due to some recent "no trespassing" signs being posted) in order to make it legal. TOO far perhaps. What is acceptable, or at what point would a Reviewer say "no way" and archive the cache? Any info would be helpful. THANKS!

In general, if you are moving over a few hundred feet (100 or 200) then it is a whole new experience and should get a new GC number. My opinion.

I think the actual moveable distance is something like 500 feet so long as it doesn't get to close to any other caches. (Reviewers can allow more if the circumstances warrant it).

In general, if you are moving over a few hundred feet (100 or 200) then it is a whole new experience and should get a new GC number. My opinion.

I think the actual moveable distance is something like 500 feet so long as it doesn't get to close to any other caches. (Reviewers can allow more if the circumstances warrant it).

I agree with this. It is a different cache. I've moved a cache 30-40 feet and input the change in coords using that log option.

You file the SBA, the reviewer contacts the hider (or tries to), the cache owner moves or removes the cache.

If it is on private land and the hider did not get authorization to place a cache there, the landowner has the final say. When hiding a cache please make sure you know whose land it is on and get permission from a person with authority to give it.

On the other hand, I've seen "No Trespassing" signs a few times on public lands so that some bad hunters could hunt without competition from other hunters.

My brother wants to rescue a cache that needs to be moved.

It's his cache, right? I only ask because of your use of the word 'rescue', and because I couldn't identify any caches owned by the people you linked to in your profile that looked like they were in need of being moved.

I'm probably just confused.

NO, MY FAULT, sorry. It's NOT his cache, he wrote to the cache owner (who is out of the area until next March) and offered to move it for him -- and the owner agreed. Problem is, it need to be moved outside of a gated area and I estimate that it would have to be moved about 1000 feet (or more) in order to get it off of the private property. I advised my brother of this and suggested he not move the cache, but I wanted to make sure I was giving him the correct information. Thought I'd get feedback from you guys before I said anything else about it...

THANKS, sorry about the confusion, I should have been clearer...

You file the SBA, the reviewer contacts the hider (or tries to), the cache owner moves or removes the cache.

If it is on private land and the hider did not get authorization to place a cache there, the landowner has the final say. When hiding a cache please make sure you know whose land it is on and get permission from a person with authority to give it.

On the other hand, I've seen "No Trespassing" signs a few times on public lands so that some bad hunters could hunt without competition from other hunters.

Sorry, I don't want to sound stupid, but what is an SBA??

Should Be Archived log type. Also known as a NA (needs archived).

Should Be Archived log type. Also known as a NA (needs archived).

LOL, THANKS...never heard it referred to as an SBA...learn something new every day...