Scanned copy of coin?

bpp_picnic

I am not sure if this has been discussed before but it was a first for me. I was checking on one of my caches and found a laminated copy of a coin. I went to the coin page and it said that this is only a copy but log it the same as you found the actual coin?! They are keeping it safe. Somehow it is not the same as seeing the actual coin. The coin has a record of traveling around the country but it never left the owner. Is this becoming a common practice? If this has been discussed please point me to the thread. Thanks

Common? I hope not but it has a name.... geocoin proxy. As long as there are thieves among us geocachers there will be those afraid of losing their coins to them. Fortunately neither thieves nor proxy releasers are the rule and remain, for the most part, the exception.

Edited by Droo

This isn't something new and has been discussed before. Here's one thread I found

Keep the original and circulate a copy Lots of varying opionions of course. I don't care for the practice myself, but one good suggestion I've seen for people doing this is to put "COPY" in the coin name, that way others will know it's just a copy and not the real thing. Some people go out of their way to find a geocoin in a cache, and it would be disappointing to get there and find out it's just a picture of a coin.

While I have come upon a proxy only once, I have to admit, it was a huge disappointment to find a photocopy of the real McCoy! :anibad: I don't know about anyone else, but I make special effort to seek caches with trackables, especially geocoins!

On the flip side, I am battling as we speak with a particular "thief" that took a trackable (travel bug) of mine, had the stupidity to log that they took it, and now apparently has decided that it is just too "cute" to give up. Feel free to look at our beloved "Pink Puppy Pirate" (<tracking number removced by moderator - it's never a good idea to post the tracking number publicly>) or (TB1F7C5)...she is my son, Andrew's most *special* puppy! I have pleaded with the person who STOLE our beloved Pink Puppy three times now and have even offered to pay the postage for them to just have the consideration to mail her back to us. My son is heartbroken and just as important, is learning that there are folks out there who are slimy and mean and heartless and...the list goes on...As you can tell, I am equally upset, especially as I go the great lengths to come up with really cool, memorable treasures for fellow geocachers to find. Just because our puppy is cute, does not means she is there for the stealing. Ironically, this thief's name just "happens" to be "<name removed by moderator>." It should be "<name removed by moderator!!!" I even complained to Geocaching.com but that was useless. They told me to report it to the police. Hmmm :D:rolleyes::rolleyes:

If anyone has *any* suggestions on how to deal with this thief, I'd welcome your input. Until then, I too am sadly and regretfully considering proxys as well... :ph34r:

DrJeepStr

Edited by Eartha

Common? I hope not but it has a name.... geocoin proxy. As long as there are thieves among us geocachers there will be those afraid of losing their coins to them. Fortunately neither thieves nor proxy releasers are the rule and remain, for the most part, the exception.

I am somewhat new but I purchase two coins and release one and keep one. If the one I release disapears then so be it. But having a coin that has a record of travel all over the world but never left my hands is like saying I shot a 68 at golf when it was a 90. Just my opinion!

I am somewhat new but I purchase two coins and release one and keep one. If the one I release disapears then so be it. But having a coin that has a record of travel all over the world but never left my hands is like saying I shot a 68 at golf when it was a 90. Just my opinion!

Actually I think it's more like saying you shot a 68, when you really just did it on the playstation.

If anyone has *any* suggestions on how to deal with this thief, I'd welcome your input. Until then, I too am sadly and regretfully considering proxys as well... :D

Well I looked up the tracking number and he is right here where I am! I have not attended an event yet but when I do and if I see it I will just grab it and send it to you. I'm not kidding.

bpp_picnic

One thing I have come across a few times recently are basically copies, but done in much more creative ways than simply a photocopy. I dropped a 'coin' today that was actually a replacement for one that went missing that was the disc to a hard drive with the coin's number on it. I typically grab these thinking they are TBs only to find out back at the car that they are 'copies' or replacements.

I find photocopies are disappointing if you're really looking forward to finding a real coin, but I have to admit, I really don't mind when someone uses a little creativity in sending out something other than the actual coin.

Sure someone has mentioned it, but if someone sends out a copy, its probably a good idea to put that its a copy on the coin's page. Locally there's a family that releases copies all the time, but they are all labeled as such so you know what to expect.

I've read the previous threads regarding this and seems that opinions vary wildly. Really think its up to the individual sending out and the individual finding to decide for themselves. But then, that's just my opinion :-)

Unfortunately, we've seen it a couple times, but after finding out why we understood in the one case. Someone spends a good 10 bucks or so and releases the real McCoy to travel and be enjoyed. It makes 3 stops and gets stolen. After a year of waiting, they said the hell with it and printed out a facsimile from a scan they made before it was released and sent it (the facsimile) back out to travel. They did pay for the TB number with the purchase of their coin afterall, but it's unfortunate what happens and makes me wonder what happens if the thief feels bad at somepoint and let's it loose again. :D

True it's not the same but perfectly valid. Good practice would be to say that the coin traveling is a proxy.

Ever see King Tut's exhibit? Replica's. Good replicas but replicas. I once went to see the traveling version of The Wall. Sheet Metal. I was hoping for a small version of the real thing. Sometimes even when you know it's not real it's disappointing.

I have six coins that are verified as lost/stolen (usually placed in a cache and then the next visitor logs that there is no coin). I also have five coins that have been in the hands of a cacher for more than six months and have not responded to email queries. Only one of those cachers hasn't logged into their account during those six months.

For me, I am saddened that what I hope is some joy in seeing a coin has been taken from the caching game. But there is also the thought that my $100 or so has been stolen. Why don't I just drop ten dollar bills into a cache. That way it would be a real surprise for the next cacher and at least eliminate the thieves who go specifically to grab a coin.

I don't want to send out photocopies and I really don't have the shop set-up to drill holes in my coins, making them less attractive to thieves. So what is the answer? Stop buying coins to send out?

<Obnoxiousness>

This one time....

I went to a cache.....

And all there was there was a photocopy of the cache.....

I understand this though, since the cache owner didn't want to risk the $10 for his ammo box, log book, and trinkets.

Just kidding of course, but I hope geocaching don't turn into this.

</Obnoxiousness>

I release real coins (sometimes I drill them) for the 99% of the good people out there.

I don't let the 1% ruin the fun of the 99%

That is just my opinion.

For what it is worth.

I release real coins (sometimes I drill them) for the 99% of the good people out there.

That is just my opinion.

For what it is worth.

Its because of all the people like you that I'm releasing 3 coins next weekend. Really, nothing like finding a real coin. Thanks :-)

<Obnoxiousness>

This one time....

I went to a cache.....

I understand this though, since the cache owner didn't want to risk the $10 for his ammo box, log book, and trinkets.

</Obnoxiousness>

Been there, found that. It's called Gladware. :D

<Obnoxiousness>

This one time....

I went to a cache.....

</Obnoxiousness>

That is just my opinion.

For what it is worth.

I know that this was in jest, but if you placed 20 caches and 5 of them went missing, and then did 20 more and 5 went missing again, how long would it be before you stopped placing caches?

The other thought to this is that I can probably place a cache and trickets for less than I pay for some of the coins I release.

STILL... I sent out three new coins last week and will be sending out a passel this month as well. I'm a glutton. I'm determined to have my coins out there to be found and enjoyed! :D

<Obnoxiousness>

This one time....

I went to a cache.....

</Obnoxiousness>

Been there, found that. It's called Gladware. :D

It's also called a "Virtual Cache" or a "Waymark."

While I have come upon a proxy only once, I have to admit, it was a huge disappointment to find a photocopy of the real McCoy! :) I don't know about anyone else, but I make special effort to seek caches with trackables, especially geocoins!

On the flip side, I am battling as we speak with a particular "thief" that took a trackable (travel bug) of mine, had the stupidity to log that they took it, and now apparently has decided that it is just too "cute" to give up. Feel free to look at our beloved "Pink Puppy Pirate" (<tracking number removced by moderator - it's never a good idea to post the tracking number publicly>) or (TB1F7C5)...she is my son, Andrew's most *special* puppy! I have pleaded with the person who STOLE our beloved Pink Puppy three times now and have even offered to pay the postage for them to just have the consideration to mail her back to us. My son is heartbroken and just as important, is learning that there are folks out there who are slimy and mean and heartless and...the list goes on...As you can tell, I am equally upset, especially as I go the great lengths to come up with really cool, memorable treasures for fellow geocachers to find. Just because our puppy is cute, does not means she is there for the stealing. Ironically, this thief's name just "happens" to be "<name removed by moderator>." It should be "<name removed by moderator!!!" I even complained to Geocaching.com but that was useless. They told me to report it to the police. Hmmm ;);):)

If anyone has *any* suggestions on how to deal with this thief, I'd welcome your input. Until then, I too am sadly and regretfully considering proxys as well... :)

DrJeepStr

Yes, I have a suggestion. Next time give them time to get back out caching before you call them a thief in public. I read their log and it looks like thay have every intention of placing your travel bug in a cache. Hey, who knows, they could be taking photos, and looking for the perfect place to put it. Please remember that not everyone gets to go caching every single weekend. Two or three months isn't really that long for someone to hold a bug. Maybe there aren't that many caches near them, maybe they have a life outside of caching, maybe something happened. They last visited the site since November 5th, so I they are finding some time to go caching. And maybe, just maybe, if your email sounded anything like your post, you have put them in the "I don't care when I put this out there" category, and they gave up caching. Their log sounded nothing but complimentary about your travel bug, and I hope your email was not as accusatory as your post here. Lots can happen. TB's get misplaced, life gets in the way, anything. They've only had the bug since 8/07. That's not horrible. The otehr three bugs they moved were not moved immediately either. No where in their log did they say they were keeping it. I've removed their name from your post. We show respect for others in these forums. Please read the forum guidelines about respect and maybe you want to look at the pinned threads at the top of these forums.

(edit: because I read my own post over and realized Nov 5 is very recent)

Edited by Eartha

Actually I think it's more like saying you shot a 68, when you really just did it on the playstation.

;);):)

;);):)

You shot a 68 on the play station, man... i gotta work on my handling better.

Well, as they say..."Opinions are like (pick your favorite body part here), everyone has one." Mine is that I think it is disappointing to expect to find a coin and not find one. Sometimes it's just part of the game - maybe someone just picked it up to move it along right before you got there. But finding a proxy, copy, virtual, or whatever you want to call it is always a disapointment to me. I have coins I would never put out to travel. Then I have coins I put out (I've put out about 50 so far to travel) knowing there's always a possiblility of them being stolen. Yes, I've had coins stolen but to me it's worth the risk just because I like to let others find coins in caches and I like to see how far they'll travel.

With that said, I do try to minimize the risk by drilling a hole in them and attaching a Geocoin Buddy tag.

There you go...my opinion for what it's worth. ;)

Hi there,

Nothing is more frustrating than the perception of loosing one of your beloved coins.

Eartha speaks words of wisdom though.

I had lost a few coins and TB's when I first started relasing coins and I was beginning to get frustrated and at time a bit angered over what I felt was inconciderate of the persons who had taken my trackables.

No more than 3 months went by and then all of a sudden my trackables started showing up as moving again.

Some people have large stash bags and sometime these items get lost in the bottom of thier caching bags.

Give it time and then judge....good luck and happy caching.

QUOTE Eartha

Two or three months isn't really that long for someone to hold a bug. Maybe there aren't that many caches near them, maybe they have a life outside of caching, maybe something happened.

END QUOTE

gc.com highlights inventory items together with a reminder to you to let the owner know as a matter of courtesy when no action has been taken after two weeks - I consider 2 - 3 months without any such contact to be inconsiderate - however much a life one has outside of caching - it doesn't take two minutes to send a short email with an update, even if it's to say I broke my leg and I won't be out caching till Christmas - its just good manners. In my opinion.

....- it doesn't take two minutes to send a short email with an update, even if it's to say I broke my leg and I won't be out caching till Christmas - its just good manners. In my opinion.

Provided you are checking your email, and even if you are, are not tied up with other evenets that have you put caching related items on the back burner.

It is good manners to do what you can. It's also good manners to afford others some patience if they need it.

:( Up around here, there is one set of cachers that only send out "copies" when their name pops up, most of us know it isn't the real thing. NOW, on the other hand, when we see it belongs to CoreyNJoey, We Know it is the real thing. One thing about their coins is that they've released over 100 thus far and Don't drill just send them out as is :P

....- it doesn't take two minutes to send a short email with an update, even if it's to say I broke my leg and I won't be out caching till Christmas - its just good manners. In my opinion.

Provided you are checking your email, and even if you are, are not tied up with other evenets that have you put caching related items on the back burner.

It is good manners to do what you can. It's also good manners to afford others some patience if they need it.

If someones life is so busy they can't spare 2 minutes to send a quick email to someone - then they shouldn't be lifting TB out of caches in the first place (and if they have time to do that - they can make time to send an email), otherwise it's inconsiderate - in my opinion. It's also outwith the guidelines of the game. The greatest thing about this game is that we can all play it the way we want to, but we should respect the guidelines and our fellow players so that it remains an enjoyable experience for everyone.

Edited to keep this post on topic.

The joy of this game is that we can all play it the way we want to, and that means offending some people because their perception of what is fair and right may be different to our own. I made copies of some of my coins intending to release them as copies, but having discovered real coins in caches and enjoying that experience, discovering a copy of a coin and not particularly enjoying that experience, I decided only to release the original coins and I have kept the 'copies' I made at home. I see far more real coins out in the wild, in fact I have only ever seen one copy, so I don't believe it is becoming a more common practice.

Edited by Tooey

...If someones life is so busy they can't spare 2 minutes to send a quick email to someone - then they shouldn't be lifting TB out of caches in the first place....

Life turns on a dime. Monday someone may very well have had all the time in the world. Monday night at 5:23 PM the police call about an accident and everthing has changed including how much time you have for caching related actitivies.

That was my point. Every situation is different. In some, they may very well have the 2 min you want.

...If someones life is so busy they can't spare 2 minutes to send a quick email to someone - then they shouldn't be lifting TB out of caches in the first place....

Life turns on a dime. Monday someone may very well have had all the time in the world. Monday night at 5:23 PM the police call about an accident and everthing has changed including how much time you have for caching related actitivies.

That was my point. Every situation is different. In some, they may very well have the 2 min you want.

Point taken - I completely understand your point of view, however - if logs are still regularly being made for finds etc - doesn't that tell you they can spare 2 minutes ?

I think we should treat proxy coin copies as travel bugs and show them the same respect we would show a travel bug. It's still a trackable item, and if the person is fearful of having something they paid for get stolen, or go missing, we shouldn't begrudge them the fact that they still want to track the miles it could travel.

Yes, they should put "Copy" or Proxy" in the title, but since a lot of cachers never read these forums, they won't all know this, and it won't happen on all of them. So, we should just keep playing the game and having fun, and let others have their fun too.

We all have different moccasins to walk our miles in.

my two cents regarding proxies ....

You still get the icon so whats the problem? the only thing missing is a picture, and if your lucky the owner posted one that you can snarf.

Jim

If you're just after the icon, then I suppose there is no problem. I'm beinning to think GS would be wise to start selling just icons, why bother with the coin, it'd be much cheaper.

To each their own I suppose. I don't think they're the same as bugs or anything else, so I choose to just ignore them if I see one in a cache.

It is very true that most cachers never come into these forums, so maybe POLITE notes sent to the owners of said fake coins requesting NICELY that the word "COPY" be added into the title would be a good idea. Maybe even a link to one of the many threads in here about it so they know it's not just the one person that wishes for this. I'm sure in most cases if people had any clue how much of a stir it causes they would be willing to make at least that change.

...Point taken - I completely understand your point of view, however - if logs are still regularly being made for finds etc - doesn't that tell you they can spare 2 minutes ?

Yes it does. B)

Ok...just one more respectful comment... If a geocacher has the time to find and log 55 (fifty-five) cache finds, 23 (twenty-three) of which are likely to be a size big enough to place a trackable in, it just "seems" like they would have time to drop a note to ya, our of respect. Wow, wish I had time to find 55 caches in 60-ish days!! That's an average of almost 1 find a day! Wow! Just a polite comment, IMHO! B)

DrJeepStr

ps...Eartha...in respond to your email to me, the answer is "yes" I know the person got my emails because they wrote back initially promising to move our puppy along....and then...silence. Just FYI. Again, thank you for hearing my side of that story. Will keep ya posted...Regards, :huh: DrJeepStr

There have been quite a few threads on copy coins in the past. Not wishing to beat a dead horse (too many times) I’ll quickly state that I don’t care for them, I won’t move them, but I realize that some folks like them and that’s cool too.

The issue of patience that has been brought up in this thread is an important one though. Two or three times a year, I go through my travelers (I use TB and geocoin interchangeably) and send a polite reminder notice to folks that have held onto a TB for more than three months. Last weekend, I sent out about 40 reminders which represents around 20% of my active TBs. In looking at the coin logs, a few things were apparent.

Most TBs are held for around a month. Yes, that is longer than the 1-2 weeks recommended by geocaching.com. But, it is also representative of many people’s caching behavior. Early on, I went caching irregularly and hunted a few caches at a time. That seems to be typical of many (probably most) cachers with relatively few finds. Today, I go out 2-3 times a month and hunt more caches on each trip than I used to. But it is still not unusual to go a few weeks without hunting a cache. Again, I suspect this is typical of the average cacher. I try not to pick up more TBs than I can move in a reasonable time, and I put a priority on moving TBs (including geocoins) in my possession. Even still, sometimes it takes a while to find an appropriate place to place a TB.

And, while I’m on the subject of an appropriate place . . . as quality places to hide larger caches are used up, it is inevitable that smaller caches (read micros) will continue to be an increasing fraction of caches available. Micro coins fit well in film cans, but no geocoin that I know of will fit well in a bison tube. The fraction of caches that are available for geocoin placement due to size or appropriate location is diminishing. This year, my son and I did a bit of caching on our way home from a scout trip to Damascus, VA. Of around 20 caches found on the way home, I think only 2 or 3 were large enough to hold a regular geocoin.

Life, geocaching proclivities, cache sizes, and other factors can all conspire to delay the re-release of TBs. Be patient, most eventually do find their way back into circulation. Of the 40 reminders I sent out, I’ve already heard back from ~30% of the people who told me that the coins were or would soon be in caches. I figure that at least as many will be dropped without a note. And some will probably be gone forever – typically in the hands of folks that have quit geocaching. Occasional delays are par for the course and something that one needs to expect when releasing TBs..

I do appreciate the occasional note I receive that informs me that someone plans or needs to hold onto a TB for a while. It is a welcomed, but not expected courtesy. I try to enjoy the blessings that I receive rather than begrudge the ones that pass me by.

While can be frustrating to wait for a TB to move, a little bit of patience and politeness go a long way toward increasing the enjoyment of following the travels of a TB.

There have been quite a few threads on copy coins in the past. Not wishing to beat a dead horse (too many times) I’ll quickly state that I don’t care for them, I won’t move them, but I realize that some folks like them and that’s cool too.

The issue of patience that has been brought up in this thread is an important one though. Two or three times a year, I go through my travelers (I use TB and geocoin interchangeably) and send a polite reminder notice to folks that have held onto a TB for more than three months. Last weekend, I sent out about 40 reminders which represents around 20% of my active TBs. In looking at the coin logs, a few things were apparent.

Most TBs are held for around a month. Yes, that is longer than the 1-2 weeks recommended by geocaching.com. But, it is also representative of many people’s caching behavior. Even still, sometimes it takes a while to find an appropriate place to place a TB.

I do appreciate the occasional note I receive that informs me that someone plans or needs to hold onto a TB for a while. It is a welcomed, but not expected courtesy. I try to enjoy the blessings that I receive rather than begrudge the ones that pass me by.

While can be frustrating to wait for a TB to move, a little bit of patience and politeness go a long way toward increasing the enjoyment of following the travels of a TB.

Very nicely put TokenCollector, perhaps Groundspeak could review their guidelines on the timeframe, this might help to lower the expectations of a less experienced cacher.

FWIW, this thread made me curious about how the TB's I've released are doing.

For the traditional TBs, 56% are still active (there is another that is probably missing which would drop the total to 50%)

For the geocoins, 85% are still active (though some that are still listed as active are probably missing which would drop the total closer to 80%)

I've been releasing traditional TBs longer than geocoins, so they have had a little longer to suffer attrition. Overall, the geocoins have fared quite well and they tend to sit in caches for a shorter amount of time. I think that both types of TB spend about the same amount of time with a cacher once picked up.

Edited by tokencollector

...Point taken - I completely understand your point of view, however - if logs are still regularly being made for finds etc - doesn't that tell you they can spare 2 minutes ?

Yes it does. :blink:

Ok...just one more respectful comment... If a geocacher has the time to find and log 55 (fifty-five) cache finds, 23 (twenty-three) of which are likely to be a size big enough to place a trackable in, it just "seems" like they would have time to drop a note to ya, our of respect. Wow, wish I had time to find 55 caches in 60-ish days!! That's an average of almost 1 find a day! Wow! Just a polite comment, IMHO! :blink:

DrJeepStr

ps...Eartha...in respond to your email to me, the answer is "yes" I know the person got my emails because they wrote back initially promising to move our puppy along....and then...silence. Just FYI. Again, thank you for hearing my side of that story. Will keep ya posted...Regards, :ph34r: DrJeepStr

Your TB was placed in a cache. All is well with the world.

Edited by Eartha

My pair of pennies -

Given a choice between a copy and nothing at all, I will choose the copy every time

There are often opportunities to get very cheap geocoins

Under four dollars, if one is observant and patient

That is about the same (maybe even cheaper) than a travel bug

You could release them yourself, or hand them out (on the trail or at an event, for example), and encourage the recipients to activate and release them

The coin copies are extremely disappointing. If you don't want an item to be kept or removed from circulation, then don't release it. In the least, put something such as 'COPY' in the TB title so others will know before searching for it. What is being released is NOT a coin, just a piece of often poorly laminated paper.

The idea of coins involved uniqueness, detail, and interest. How can something be called a geocoin when it isn't even a coin at all? I've gone rounds with one of the local cachers that releases these things by the dozen. a look through the logs of them show the general disappointment by people that run across them. One would think that would be the first clue to the owners that this isn't generally acceptable, but apathy or ignorance win out, so they continue to do it as if it is a benefit to the hobby.