Best topo software

gunner2

I'm looking for opinions on topo software. I live in central PA, and I'm looking for mapping with trail and trail names if there are any out there. I have Garmin MapSource Topo V3.02 now but it doesn't seem to show many trail names. Is there any other software that shows more of what I need.

NONE

unless you hike through federally funded areas (ie National Forests) where they actually will pay advertising to get tourists, maintenance or trail descriptions.....then you definitely wont see them on mapping,,,,that data is hard to come by because of its descriptive and hard to reach nature.....

but you offer a great suggestion, open source trail mapping for the masses....kinda like a wikipedia for GPS manufacturers and their POI's

be very interesting and im sure there would be a tonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn of individuals out there willing to do such mapping, INCLUDING MYSELF, so if any manufactuerer (magellan, garmin) this forum they should let me know and I would be out there to do some beta testing

on a side note, what I usually do is go to my county/town website and lookup the locations of all sponsored parks........and just bring my own gps and log them into mapsource

I have many many parks and their data according to my three gps's, mostly my edge 305 though since I made a mount on my daypack for it and it has a heart rate monitor

I'm looking for opinions on topo software. I live in central PA, and I'm looking for mapping with trail and trail names if there are any out there. I have Garmin MapSource Topo V3.02 now but it doesn't seem to show many trail names. Is there any other software that shows more of what I need.

Hello, gunner2. Really, none of the mapping programs for your GPS are going to have all the trails and trail names. Topo 2008 is better, but far from perfect. I also use National Geographic TOPO! state series on my PC, but those maps do not download to the GPS.

Some topo software has a user format where users can post trail informaitin and routes.

NG Topo! does this. I can't say how well it's used but the option exists or at least did exist.

Other computer based topo programs are adding this functionality. You will have to do your legwork to find out which has it and more importantly what's used in your area for that purpose.

Some topo software has a user format where users can post trail informaitin and routes.

NG Topo! does this. I can't say how well it's used but the option exists or at least did exist.

Other computer based topo programs are adding this functionality. You will have to do your legwork to find out which has it and more importantly what's used in your area for that purpose.

Man, if those maps could be used on the new Magellan Tritons, . . . then if they ever get their cust./serv.

functioning in a reasonable manner the world would be their oyster.

Norm

Hello, gunner2. Really, none of the mapping programs for your GPS are going to have all the trails and trail names. Topo 2008 is better, but far from perfect. I also use National Geographic TOPO! state series on my PC, but those maps do not download to the GPS.

Hi, I'm a noobie, this is my first forum post...

Was wondering, what about Garmin US TOPO 24K? Does that contain more trails than TOPO 2008, or is it just a different map scale?

Thanks.

NG Topo! does offer this at mapXchange, just pick your state.

or you can go to local hikes website and browse. they also offer downloads to NG topo.

Not sure if this will help you, but I took a class yesterday and the instructor gave the website for www.topozone.com where you can create your own maps.

Delorme Topo USA seems to have the most extensive collection of trail data in it compared to other packages...but I agree with others, that it still isn't that much. Like NG, they, too, have a file exchange library in their user forum. The NG maps are a notch above the Delorme in quality, but Delorme is pretty close behind.

Unlike NG Topo, Topo USA lets you add tracks as routable trails to the program database. Indeed, the amount of editing/customization capabilities makes Topo USA a scaled-down version of mapping programs used by professionals. These features make Delorme my pick over NG.

These maps can be loaded into the Delorme PN-20 GPS. With your Garmin, you would of course be limited to the usual track, waypoint, and (I think) route exchanges.

The thing that tends to drive new users nuts is that Delorme has a non-standard interface that has more of a learning curve than something that adheres to Windows standards. But those who persevere tend to agree that it allows for more power and flexibility.