Cache cantainer: Good idea or bad?

Lacomo

I don't care for it personally; it strikes me as kind of mean... ;)

Mean? Can you explain that one for me

To the op: Go for it, we need more imaginative hides in this game. If it scares or frightens anyone, they don't need to hunt it. Call it "Natural Geo-Selection" ;)

Edited by ReadyOrNot

Regarding the kids, BAD idea. A more better-er way would be to weld it to a ammo box as if it was caught by the trap. Just thinking about the kids. Personally I find the cache to be funny, but not something I would bring my kids to. We usually don't view cache pages unless we can not find said cache.

Get thee to the closest halloween closeout aisle, and grab some of those fake plastic severed fingers!!!

I agree it would be awesome (and better) to have a 'tripped' trap. Whether on an ammo can or a fake hand or a combination. ROCK ON! Perfect timing for halloween sell-off as noted!

Don't like it. Kids see that, stick their hand in it. Next time, could be a real trap and they would not know the difference. I know, parents should watch their kids, blah blah, but kids do play in the woods, etc... not always with parent around.

I could see what you are saying if this was a fake electrical box or something like that but it is not. I would be safe in saying I have been in the woods more than 95% of the people geoching, I have logged and cut firewood and hunted most of my life and I have never saw a steel trap like this set in the woods. I know they are out there but I am just saying I have never saw one and I am 64 years old.

It is very very unlikely a kid will come upon one of these traps. If kids are old enough to be playing in the woods unsupervised they should be smart enough to not go around sticking their fingers in something like this.

People will argue about the fake electrical boxes too, oh and also about putting out a fake sharps container as a cache :) whatever.

Your thread topic was "cache idea good or bad". You asked for opinions on what we thought. Mine was that it was a bad idea for the reasons that I stated - I am sure not everyone feels the same way and that is cool. If you disagree, why ask? Just go ahead and put it out there then. :D

It's BAAAAAAAAAAAACCCKKKK!!!!! :) The point of asking is to discuss: Discussion Board . . . . yeah :) I love the hybrid of hiding behind "you're off topic" mixed with bringing in specific topics from other threads (were you hoping I'd bite?) - - oh that wasn;t you who brought it up . . you just discussed it!. Spent alot of time off-topic to defend against what your calling off-topic . . . So it's okay for you to not like the idea, but not okay for someone else to question your support of your dislike :) . It that case, why give your thought support ;) . After all as you said, the 'thread topic was "cache idea good or bad"' . . . NOT why ;):):)

There won't generally be a trap like this off in the woods next to an urban or suburban enivironment where they are likely to go into unsupervised. I would expect kids to be supervised in areas traps would be in. IMO if they ever saw one, kids would be even more inclined to mess with it, having never encountered it before.

Strictly on topic - - Overall. Love the idea with that reservation thay maybe it should already be 'tripped'.

Edited by scorpio_dark

Oooh, make a really big one out of a bear trap with an ammo can welded in the center!

Seriously, though, I think it's pretty funny. But the only way I would consider hiding it would be as a PMO cache way, way, WAY off the beaten path to keep the muggles away and reduce the chance of being found by cachers with kids.

If I made a mile-or-two hike into the deepest woods and found that, I'd laugh my a** off.

FWIW.

I agree with sataraid.... I love it but it might be smarter to place it a few miles in the forest... that would make me laugh

lacomo:

If you are nervous to place it any wheres, send it my way.

I'm always looking for neat ideas and the cachers around here love some of the ones I do.

If I am worried about it in any way I will not use it. And I will let you know what cachers say about it.

The best place you could hide it is on a wild life preserve. This aught to get a great response from game wardens and any muggle that finds it :rolleyes:

I love it. only wish I had thought of it first.

I think the container is hilarious. However, I would be hesitant to place it. Traps have some seriously sharp edges, and being placed in the woods, could be covered heavily with leaves or needles (depending on the type of woods you place it in). It would be very easy to trip over this cache (kid or adult). Yes, traps are out in the woods, but usually placed within marked hunting grounds during hunting season. And yes, you can get hurt in many different ways while hunting for a cache, but that isn't the point. Getting hurt when trying to approach the cache because you physically had an accident is totally different than being hurt ON a container. Again, I think it's funny, but it could open you up to lawsuits. Some of you might think that is ridiculous, but just think about McDonald's and the lady with the coffee that was too hot. I wouldn't do it for my own financial safety, personally.

Per guidlines from Groundspeak:

Will it cause unnecessary concern? - Please use common sense when choosing a location for your cache. Do not place your cache in any location where it might be confused with something more dangerous.

I think the above statement also speaks for containers. While some containers would be very funny and creative, they don't make the best overall choice.

My son fell on a metal rake that was laying amoungst a bunch of stuff, prong side up, on the ground at a garage sale once. He still has a nasty scar on his wrist from it. We didn't sue the lady, but we would have been within legal limits to do so. I'd just keep that in mind and decide if you're willing to take the chance to see if someone gets hurt, and if they would try to sue. Even if they didn't win the suit, it costs you money and time to defend yourself.

The idea is quite creative, and I can appreciate that. HOWEVER, think about the reprecussions to our activity if found by the wrong person. Geocaching is misunderstood enough without purposely making a cache appear like a harmful object. This is the very reason they recommend painting over the "ammo classification" on ammunition cans and labeling them as an official geocache. There are enough geocaches, some ammo cans, some not, that have already been literally blown up, believing that they were bombs. This twist on a micro could potentially add to that. I'd rather see hides that help us move forward as being an acceptable activity.

Now, I know, you could say "I'll hide it where muggles will never find it." "It will be on private property." Nope, people talk, people wander, folks get curious about suspicious items. No matter where you place it, there will always be an element of misunderstanding.

Edited by Hiking Cockroachess

Don't like it. Kids see that, stick their hand in it. Next time, could be a real trap and they would not know the difference. I know, parents should watch their kids, blah blah, but kids do play in the woods, etc... not always with parent around.

I could see what you are saying if this was a fake electrical box or something like that but it is not. I would be safe in saying I have been in the woods more than 95% of the people geoching, I have logged and cut firewood and hunted most of my life and I have never saw a steel trap like this set in the woods. I know they are out there but I am just saying I have never saw one and I am 64 years old.

It is very very unlikely a kid will come upon one of these traps. If kids are old enough to be playing in the woods unsupervised they should be smart enough to not go around sticking their fingers in something like this.

People will argue about the fake electrical boxes too, oh and also about putting out a fake sharps container as a cache :unsure: whatever.

Your thread topic was "cache idea good or bad". You asked for opinions on what we thought. Mine was that it was a bad idea for the reasons that I stated - I am sure not everyone feels the same way and that is cool. If you disagree, why ask? Just go ahead and put it out there then. :ph34r:

This cacher is from the Beautiful Ozarks in Missouri and i would hope that every kid in our area knows about traps because we have so many trappers in our area.

I like it but i would still stick something in it to make sure it is OK. As for placement not sure if i would go deep into the woods because there are so many fur trappers in our area. I would place it in a more rural urban area.

nice idea

we"re lost

I sure hope your kids don't ever see a fake dog poop cache!! :unsure:

I sure hope your kids don't ever see a fake dog poop cache!! :)

I had a fake dog poop cache! :lol: My kids are older - old enough to know better anyways. Fortunately, they can't hurt themselves tooooo much on dog poop - heee~ :)

I love it go for it!!! I have a 2 year old and this gives us parents a good oportunity to teach our children about safety and responsibility. Life is not a geocache so we need to teach our kids that test it with a stick 1st. The same way you would a geopoop cache!!!! i would however put a disclamer on the waypoint page so parents know what they are getting into, this will weed out the conterversy!! 'jason

If you cut the springs it doesn't matter if the welds fail.

While you are asking about failing welds on cars. Things do fail on cars at 70mph driving down the interstate...Welds do fail. It happens. I'd say the typical weld on a car is better than what you can do on a trap. I'd say that even if you are a welder by trade because at a minimum you don't have as much control over the conditions as you would for the weld on a new car.

Maybe the probablity of a failed weld is low. But it's not zero.

On point one, if the spring on a leg hold trap is cut or heat treated to disable in some way, there is absolutely zero chance of it causing harm.

On point two, the Monday morning syndrome in the car manufacturing industry decrees that your chances of a failed weld are far greater than you would think.

I love the idea in basis. I would only like to suggest that the actual cache be placed (fixed, welded, etc.) beneath the trap rather than within it's jaws. That way you could have a much larger container and the micro haters wouldn't have any reason to complain. :)