This Holiday Season

jAY miLLS

Lets not forget those who gave of themselves this holiday season. Though a geocoin arguably has little meaning to a non cacher I can't help but believe that a coin/letter/card or just a simple note might none-the-less raise their spirits and help heal their broken and battered bodies and minds just a bit faster knowing they are being thought of.

A Recovering American soldier

c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center

6900 Georgia Avenue,NW

Washington, D.C. 20307-5001

Lets not forget those who gave of themselves this holiday season. Though a geocoin arguably has little meaning to a non cacher I can't help but believe that a coin/letter/card or just a simple note might none-the-less raise their spirits and help heal their broken and battered bodies and minds just a bit faster knowing they are being thought of.

A Recovering American soldier

c/o Walter Reed Army Medical Center

6900 Georgia Avenue,NW

Washington, D.C. 20307-5001

Thanks for the info and address. While we usually send care packages to "any soldier", this is a great reminder for me that there are 11 other months during which I could do more.

Good point JM, as a Vet myself and coming from a military family, anything that supports our soldiers is a great cause. I usually send several packages overseas during the holidays. Operation Dear Abby is also a great and free way to leave messages for the soldiers overseas. God Bless our soldiers.

~tsun

Don't mean to put a damper on such a wonderful sounding idea, but, from the Walter Reed Army Medical Center website:

"Walter Reed Army Medical Center officials want to remind those individuals who want to show their appreciation through mail to include packages and letters, addressed to “Any Wounded Soldier” that Walter Reed will not be accepting these packages in support of the decision by then Deputy Undersecretary of Defense for Transportation Policy in 2001. This decision was made to ensure the safety and well being of patients and staff at medical centers throughout the Department of Defense.

In addition, the U.S. Postal Service is no longer accepting “Any Service Member” or “Any Wounded Service Member” letters or packages. Mail to “Any Service Member” that is deposited into a collection box will not be delivered.

Instead of sending an “Any Wounded Soldier” letter or package to Walter Reed, please consider making a donation to one of the more than 300 nonprofit organizations dedicated to helping our troops and their families listed on the "America Supports You" website, www.americasupportsyou.mil"

The above can be found here.

Their main web page is here.

Sorry. :D

Well, that was good information MommyFinder! It's a shame people can't send things to any soldier, but I can understand their need for safety.

On top of that, this donation thread is not really an organized donation, and has no one handling the donations, no way to know what's happening, and no way to know if the package was received. Any threads like this should first go through Groundspeak.

In light of the above, I'm going to have to close this thread. It was a wonderful thought, and if you check out MommyFinder's links you will see how you can contribute to our soldiers overseas and those who came home injured, and they do need your support. They need all the support they can get. They've also posted ways you can volunteer your time, and how to contribute money. So, though we may be closing this thread, the thought should remain open in your minds. Thank you for caring.