Commercialization of Groundspeek

Hobo2

Today I went to do a zip code search for some caches, and low and behold here are some commercials thrown in my face about every 4th or 5th line down... I DON"T LIKE THAT. ;) We pay dues, why must we endure these commercials. ;) If there is one thing that will turn me off is force feeding me stuff I don't want to see.

Commercials do help on expenses, I understand that. It is fine by me to have them along the sides of everything we see (now there even placed on the sides of the cache pages), but having to wade through them is way over the top I think... when do we start to see pop-ups. ;)

What are your feeling about this. Is this too much greed, have they gone to far on commercializing this sport for you too? ;)

Edited by Hobo2

Maybe someone can Markwell the previous threads that cover this topic, but if you're logged in as a premium member you should not see the ads in the search results. I know I don't see them when I'm logged in.

Edit to add - why should the site not have banner ads on it? If they generate some revenue more power to 'em I say.

Edited by 9Key

This isn't supposed to happen, but on occasion it does. I also tried it and had no issues although I have seen it in the past.

Since this is a website issue, I will move this thread to the website forum so the folks behind the code can see it.

Thank you very much! ;)

I also see "Member" instead of "Premium Member". Check your "My Account" page. Has your premium membership slipped?

No, but I did get a message saying it was time to update my auto-pay account, which I promptly did... the issue was as to the card expiration date had to be updated. As soon as Groundspeek sees that my account has been updated, will I become a Premium Member again... I thought this would have been settled by now because I updated it 2 or 3 days ago.

I thought this would have been settled by now because I updated it 2 or 3 days ago.

That would have been just before the weekend. It might be worth an email to Groundspeak to make sure they have the information they need. When your membership is activated the ads will disappear.

I thought this would have been settled by now because I updated it 2 or 3 days ago.

That would have been just before the weekend. It might be worth an email to Groundspeak to make sure they have the information they need. When your membership is activated the ads will disappear.

Whoooo, this must be why. I hope I can keep my status... I'm proud of it. ;)

There is no doubt that once things go through payment wise, you will get that status back. You paid for it. Groundspeak is more proud that you choose to support the site. Your support is most appreciated. Hopefully the wheels will turn quickly and those ads will disappear. Despite the puppymonster's "Platinum Membership" status, even he sneaked a payment in this year to show support for the site.

There is no doubt that once things go through payment wise, you will get that status back. You paid for it. Groundspeak is more proud that you choose to support the site. Your support is most appreciated. Hopefully the wheels will turn quickly and those ads will disappear. Despite the puppymonster's "Platinum Membership" status, even he sneaked a payment in this year to show support for the site.

GREAT :rolleyes: Thanks for the help and for the understanding. Please close the thread. :D

GREAT :rolleyes: Thanks for the help and for the understanding. Please close the thread. :D

Hang on a sec, Hobo2. I'm afraid that when the card you use with PayPal expires they cancel all your active subscriptions. Just updating your payment method is not enough to regain the subscription. In this case you'll need to setup another PayPal subscription here. I know it's a pain but PayPal isn't smart enough to start up a previously canceled membership. Thanks for supporting the site!

GREAT :D Thanks for the help and for the understanding. Please close the thread. :rolleyes:

Hang on a sec, Hobo2. I'm afraid that when the card you use with PayPal expires they cancel all your active subscriptions. Just updating your payment method is not enough to regain the subscription. In this case you'll need to setup another PayPal subscription here. I know it's a pain but PayPal isn't smart enough to start up a previously canceled membership. Thanks for supporting the site!

Done, hope it works now. :rolleyes:

I was going to say that this happened to me as well. My credit card that i had filed with paypal expired and i forgot to update the new expiration date with them. Although they went ahead and started the payment process, it still took, i'm wanting to say, about a week before everything went through. If i remember correctly, what was weird is that i did receive the email with the "S" number right away but when i went to renew my subsricption, it just plain wouldn't work. Of course this lead me to believe that the problem was with Groundspeak, but like OpinioNate stated above, i finally ended up having to go back and set up a new subscription through paypal.

Clicking your name, you now show as "Premium Member" again. Cool beans man! :(

I lost my subscription on the 3rd due to the fact that the credit card I used expired. So on the 5th I updated my card info and resubmitted my membership, but now I see Groundspeek resubmitted it again on the 7th and got paid again, so I have paid twice for the same month. So how do I fix this, I know have two S #’s

Clicking your name, you now show as "Premium Member" again. Cool beans man! :(

I lost my subscription on the 3rd due to the fact that the credit card I used expired. So on the 5th I updated my card info and resubmitted my membership, but now I see Groundspeek resubmitted it again on the 7th and got paid again, so I have paid twice for the same month. So how do I fix this, I know have two S #’s

On Paypal cancel one of the subscriptions. Be sure it's not the s-number that you actually used or a month from now you will have to subscribe again. If you used both s-numbers I don't know what happens.

Clicking your name, you now show as "Premium Member" again. Cool beans man! :huh:

Send an email to contact@geocaching.com with both S- numbers after you've canceled the duplicate subscription in Paypal.

B)