TB tracking map.

ashsama

Why is the old style TB tracking map gone?

I really liked that you in one map may see where in the world

the trackable has been.

Looking at a dussin zoomed in maps gives a bad overview

and is boring if I may say so, I want a world-map where you

see the tracks after where its been.

Perhaps a small arrow indication the way is traveled would be nice,

and where it is now, doesn't need to be more information than that.

What would be good would be a map like the old one, but where countries/states that it had visited turned red rather than white once your TB had been there (or something like that!) and if they were zoomable or you could hit a button to zoom to the country where they were currently to get a country-wide look.

Now that the Goodle Maps are just about sorted, hopefully TPTB will start working on this soon (crosses fingers!)

What would be good would be a map like the old one, but where countries/states that it had visited turned red rather than white once your TB had been there (or something like that!) and if they were zoomable or you could hit a button to zoom to the country where they were currently to get a country-wide look.

Now that the Goodle Maps are just about sorted, hopefully TPTB will start working on this soon (crosses fingers!)

[i liked the old map too. Maybe TPTB will listen to the peasents and bring an overview map back./quote]

Edited by stump725

I never saw the old travel bug map but I found this thread because I WANT something like it. A map showing where my bugs have been.

Also, is there a map that shows where I've found a cache? My sister is trying to find a cache in every state. Is there a map that would show her the progress?

Thank you.

Sort of:

Open the TB/Geocoin page and in the top right corner click on "View in Google Earth".

It provides markers of the stops and you can even do a "flyby" of each stop in GE.

If you mean a map like the one I have on this page, you can get one at www.world66.com - but you have to update it manually each timie you get the email saying it went to a new state.

Easy to do, just not automated.

Sort of:

Open the TB/Geocoin page and in the top right corner click on "View in Google Earth".

It provides markers of the stops and you can even do a "flyby" of each stop in GE.

If you mean a map like the one I have on this page, you can get one at www.world66.com - but you have to update it manually each timie you get the email saying it went to a new state.

Easy to do, just not automated.

Thank you. I didn't know about this feature. It was fun!

Wow - I'd uninstalled Google Earth because the early beta version I had crashed my machine in particularly scary ways (like, it would reboot with preferences set for an early 90s version of Windows) - but now Google Earth seems to be running fine, and this feature is quite cool. I wish it didn't just give the GC #s for the caches, since the regular listings on the TB page give the names, not the GC #s, and I wish the country borders weren't the same color as the track (I had to turn the borders off), but, on the whole, it's cooler than the old tracking map. Thanks for motivating me to re-install Google Earth and check it out!

Glad I could help with the GE thing for a couple of people.

Whiel I like this, I have to say that in terms of the maps themselves I like the old ones better as well.

I *THINK* I recall reading somewhere that those are no longer available (meaning that Groundspeak CAN'T support them) but I could be wrong. If this thread gets enough attention maybe OpinioNate will see it and comment.

I really liked having the option of the new and old maps. Given the choice, I find that the old map style was much more useful and interesting. The new one is nearly worthless--except to see the TB path in detail when the caches are close together.

Please bring back the old map! If possible, it would be nice if it were zoomable, too. :(

- Seth!

I agree with the request to bring the old style TB maps back, the single map that shows the complete path that a TB has taken. The current map version is just about worthless; it really doesn't give any worthwhile information, IMO.

I TOTALLY AGREE that the old OVERVIEW Map should return. Showing where it is right now is worthless...not to mention that It is a pain to 'step' through page by page (Why would anyone want to do that?!) I can do that anyway using Google Earth. Speaking of which, Google Earth is such an overkill and where bandwidth is still expensive (e.g. Australia), I really don't want Google Earth Maps just to see an overview - that's why I primarily go to the TBs Overview page in the first place.

<_<PLEASE, PLEASE Bring back either the OLD Map or one of a simular simplicity.

Edited by Next!